I was told that Willie Mays is the nastiest person you could meet

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
ICW
Marked Out King

I was told that Willie Mays is the nastiest person you could meet

Post by ICW » May 19th, 2017, 12:45 pm

I've been wanting to create this topic for a while now but kept forgetting to bring it up:

A few weeks ago, I went to an autograph signing at the Wrestling Universe and was talking with two guys about the hobby. They mentioned that they had been going to conventions for decades and told me about all of the baseball players they've racked up on. DiMaggio, Mantle, Mays, Berra, etc.

I was amazed listening to who they've gotten and, specifically, what items they got signed. But something really took me aback: they claimed Willie Mays is the nastiest son of a bitch anyone could meet.

One told a story about how Mays signed over Mickey Mantle's name on a bat signed by members of the 500 HR "club." That person allegedly grabbed Mays by his collar and was arrested and charged with assault.

He also mentioned that Mike Schmidt was a complete asshole. He had purchased a bulk order of baseballs to be signed and Schmidt would sign the ball, bang it against the table, and then bounce it on the table, which completely smudged the autograph.

Another mentioned how DiMaggio refused to sign bats and even refused to sign one for Yogi Berra!

So anyone here meet these people? Any stories?
Last edited by ICW on May 19th, 2017, 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

AJLe
Marked Out King

Re: I was told that Willie Mays is the nasty person you could meet

Post by AJLe » May 19th, 2017, 12:49 pm

I don't have first-hand stories about Mays, but I did hear the story about him signing over a Mantle graph - the way I heard it was less about him being nasty and more "be careful what you put in front of him, because he's blind as a bat".

With Mike Schmidt, I've never met him, but I got him TTM as a kid, and he was SUPER nice - not only signed my baseball card, but included a typed form letter thanking me for being a fan and signed that too.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » May 19th, 2017, 12:50 pm

Mays is notoriously bitter, and Barry Bonds learned it from him. That said, he's approachable. Guess what, your boy Derek Jeter is one of the biggest CREEPS there is too! AROD 3,000 times nicer. Yes I've heard Schmidt is not friendly. Sadly the nicest guy of his generation was the late great Gary Carter.

Joe D was all business, it was that simple. He was also very nasty, but that's how he always was even as a player. Ted Williams was the nice guy from that generation. Berra was wonderfully nice. Mantle was no treat either, but that was due to be a drunk.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out King

Post by ICW » May 19th, 2017, 1:19 pm

AJLe wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 12:49 pm
I don't have first-hand stories about Mays, but I did hear the story about him signing over a Mantle graph - the way I heard it was less about him being nasty and more "be careful what you put in front of him, because he's blind as a bat".
Interesting. The way I heard it was that the guy screamed at Mays, "WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!?" and Mays got up and told him "I'll sign wherever I want to sign!" and that's when the man assaulted him.

He also told me that Mays was notorious for signing on bats vertically.

Greg2600 wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 12:50 pm
Guess what, your boy Derek Jeter is one of the biggest CREEPS there is too! AROD 3,000 times nicer.
I'm actually a signficantly bigger fan of A-Rod than Jeter. A-Rod was my all time favorite player and my biggest want, so it's good to hear that he's nice.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

adelta13
Marked Out Pro

Post by adelta13 » May 19th, 2017, 1:28 pm

A buddy of mine met Mays back in the 90s randomly at a hotel. He saw Mays and his entourage come out and asked for the photo only. Mays barked at him stating you only want a photo so you can sell my autograph. My buddy said I didn't even ask you to sign. Mays says Oh okay and takes the photo.

I had Jeter 2 on 1 before. I'll note the other person with me was a 11 year old kid at the time. We approach Jeter asking him for the photo and starts screaming "nah man nah I ain't doing it. Jeter was also with Beltran and Cervelli. Beltran also said no.

I never had a issue with A-Rod. He's a class act. I've met him 3 times, always great!

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » May 19th, 2017, 1:51 pm

yay! finally a different topic other then the stupid Steve is being attacked thread!

The one guy who I've met that was a total douche was Johnny Bench! I actually witnessed him yell at some Grandma's during a free promo signing at a minor league ballgame!

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » May 19th, 2017, 1:59 pm

Joe Montana, Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods also pretty bad. Not nasty, just won't do it. Actually rare to find a nasty former boxer, they're usually pretty nice. Ditto with race car drivers and hockey players.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » May 19th, 2017, 2:26 pm

I've gone out and hustled quite a lot of hockey players through the years, and the majority of them are very cool and will sign a ton (albeit shitty signatures), but still fan friendly! however, there are quite a few dicks in the bunch! Some from the Boston and Philly teams come to mind! LOL

Hbklique1
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Hbklique1 » May 19th, 2017, 3:39 pm

My Uncle used to be a sports dealer in 80's early 90's and Mays is the first name he's always mentioned that was a total ass. For him Mays either gave a bad auto depending on the item or do the vertical signature on bats.

Only one that I've experienced was Ken Macha. He was the A's manager for a few seasons and I had asked him for an autograph as I used to go to spring training as a kid and would get my program signed. He walked over, stared at me and told me he changed his mind and kept walking.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » May 19th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Hbklique1 wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 3:39 pm
My Uncle used to be a sports dealer in 80's early 90's and Mays is the first name he's always mentioned that was a total ass. For him Mays either gave a bad auto depending on the item or do the vertical signature on bats.

Only one that I've experienced was Ken Macha. He was the A's manager for a few seasons and I had asked him for an autograph as I used to go to spring training as a kid and would get my program signed. He walked over, stared at me and told me he changed his mind and kept walking.
wow! what a total dick move! and to a kid too!

Hbklique1
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Hbklique1 » May 19th, 2017, 4:06 pm

AsianDave wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 4:02 pm
Hbklique1 wrote:
May 19th, 2017, 3:39 pm

wow! what a total dick move! and to a kid too!
I said the same thing and he was a terrible manager

Greg2600

Re: I was told that Willie Mays is the nastiest person you could meet

Post by Greg2600 » May 23rd, 2017, 7:15 pm

FWIW the Montana Mohegan Sun thing was a disaster. Rushed and Joe barely looked at the camera. Most people got highly invalid shots.

capman
Marked Out Pro

Re: I was told that Willie Mays is the nastiest person you could meet

Post by capman » May 23rd, 2017, 9:23 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
May 23rd, 2017, 7:15 pm
FWIW the Montana Mohegan Sun thing was a disaster. Rushed and Joe barely looked at the camera. Most people got highly invalid shots.
Yeah i went to post more about it and Mods deleted the post...oh well..they were giving crap to the photographer on FB.