WCW had a PPV in North Korea

class316
Marked Out Historian

WCW had a PPV in North Korea

Post by class316 » January 2nd, 2019, 4:01 pm

Wow I never knew that. From wikipedia and I quote:
Collision in Korea, officially known as the Pyongyang International Sports and Culture Festival for Peace (平和のための平壌国際体育・文化祝典 Heiwa no tame no Pyon'yan kokusai taiiku bunka shukuten),[3][4][5] was a professional wrestling pay-per-view (PPV) event jointly produced by New Japan Pro-Wrestling (NJPW) and World Championship Wrestling (WCW). It took place over a period of two days on April 28 and 29, 1995 at May Day Stadium in Pyongyang, North Korea. It aired in North America on August 4, 1995,[6] when WCW broadcast a selection[7] of matches from the show on pay-per-view.

The event was the first PPV from a North American wrestling promotion to be held in North Korea, and holds the current record for the largest combined attendance for a wrestling event,[8] with a claimed crowd of 165,000 and 190,000 for the first and second day respectively. American wrestling journalist Dave Meltzer reported different attendance numbers of 150,000 and 165,000 respectively.[9][1]

NJPW's Hidekazu Tanaka was the ring announcer for the show, while Masao Tayama and Tiger Hattori refereed the matches. Commentary for the WCW pay-per-view presentation of the event was provided by Eric Bischoff, Mike Tenay and Kazuo Ishikawa.

It is one of the few WCW pay-per-view events not made available for streaming on the WWE Network service.[10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collision_in_Korea

Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Re: WCW had a PPV in North Korea

Post by AJLe » January 2nd, 2019, 4:15 pm

I'm guessing that since most of the card was non-WCW contracted talent and ran/produced by people outside of WCW, it was only licensed by WCW to air in the US, and not technically a "WCW PPV" that WWE would have automatically gotten the rights to in the purchase. So to air on the Network, WWE would have to work out a deal with whoever owns the rights to the show, and possibly even individual wrestlers, if they weren't under a contract that would have included signing away rights to be broadcast.

I did check NJPWWorld, and they definitely have the Flair/Inoki match, and a Bull Nakano/Akira Hokuto match from those shows, but I haven't been able to find the complete show anywhere there yet either. It's probably a rights mess for them too.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » January 2nd, 2019, 4:30 pm

AJLe wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 4:15 pm
I'm guessing that since most of the card was non-WCW contracted talent and ran/produced by people outside of WCW, it was only licensed by WCW to air in the US, and not technically a "WCW PPV" that WWE would have automatically gotten the rights to in the purchase. So to air on the Network, WWE would have to work out a deal with whoever owns the rights to the show, and possibly even individual wrestlers, if they weren't under a contract that would have included signing away rights to be broadcast.
I don't know how the rights issues here would work here, but if watch the video surely was technically a WCW PPV as Eric Bischoff was involved in its production and booking. Or at the very least co produced by WCW.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » January 2nd, 2019, 4:39 pm

Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 2nd, 2019, 6:01 pm

class316 wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 4:30 pm
I don't know how the rights issues here would work here, but if watch the video surely was technically a WCW PPV as Eric Bischoff was involved in its production and booking. Or at the very least co produced by WCW.
What Bischoff personally did on the show means nothing. The wrestling show was part of an event created and put on by the North Korean government. If they didn't contractually grant WCW ownership or re-broadcast rights to the show, he can't just shrug his shoulders and say "Well, I booked it, so it's ours to do whatever we want with the footage."

I'm guessing that the Koreans granted NJPW and WCW the footage rights to certain matches that involved their wrestlers, and obviously licensed WCW the footage of the matches on the PPV back when they did, but that didn't necessarily mean that their deal allowed WCW permanent ownership of that footage. And since (to the best of my knowledge), the complete wrestling shows have never been released commercially anywhere, the Koreans never licensed the show as a whole. Heck, we don't even know for sure that all of the matches on both nights were even professionally filmed. And since the North Korean government isn't exactly stable and friendly right now, I doubt WWE wants to open up another Crown Jewel PR nightmare by negotiating with them for the footage rights.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » January 2nd, 2019, 6:28 pm

AJLe wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 6:01 pm

What Bischoff personally did on the show means nothing. The wrestling show was part of an event created and put on by the North Korean government. If they didn't contractually grant WCW ownership or re-broadcast rights to the show, he can't just shrug his shoulders and say "Well, I booked it, so it's ours to do whatever we want with the footage."
WCW was involved. Both it's management and its wrestlers. Hence WCW produced it, in part or whole (regardless of rights).

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 2nd, 2019, 9:39 pm

This was shown on the WWE 24/7 channel. Has been talked about for years. You really never knew?

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 2nd, 2019, 10:19 pm

Pretty sure I watched this when it happened

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » January 2nd, 2019, 11:43 pm

class316 wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 6:28 pm

WCW was involved. Both it's management and its wrestlers. Hence WCW produced it, in part or whole (regardless of rights).
Wow, for a guy who never even heard of this before yesterday, you seem quite confident about knowing all the inner workings of this show, huh. :smh:

New Japan, CMLL, All Japan Women, and the North Korean government "were involved" too. You do realize that there were 15 matches over two days, and the vast majority of them didn't involve any WCW talent, right? Heck, I think Flair and MAYBE Road Warrior Hawk were the only wrestlers on either night of the show under full-time WCW contracts when the show happened. Benoit, Scorpio, Norton, and the Steiners were all working for New Japan and doing indy shots in the US at the time.

It was basically a Korean government show, ran primarily by NJPW. WCW had a working arrangement with New Japan, let Flair work the main event, and was therefore licensed select footage from the show for the US PPV. That's it. Even on the PPV broadcast, the WCW announcers were dubbed in much later after the show, and didn't commentate on the show live in the venue.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » January 3rd, 2019, 2:22 am

AJLe wrote:
January 2nd, 2019, 11:43 pm

Wow, for a guy who never even heard of this before yesterday, you seem quite confident about knowing all the inner workings of this show, huh. :smh:
In the wikipedia article and the video it says it was produced by both WCW and NJPW :shrug:

On a separate note, doesn't matter if the rights belong to the N Korean government. There is no diplomatic relations with N Korea so NJPW can probably make a DVD and distribute it no issue. It's similar to the recent ruling that the N Korean government should pay $500 million to Otto Warmbier's family. The ruling is symbolic and the N Korean government will just scoff at it.
Last edited by class316 on January 3rd, 2019, 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 3rd, 2019, 10:00 am

Completely false as told on 3 different podcasts.....

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » January 3rd, 2019, 4:22 pm

Strange world we live in. Let's look at some wrestling facts as they relate to N Korea

The largest attended wrestling event in history took place in N Korea

Ric Flair and Antonio Inoki had one match in history - that took place in N Korea

A former member of the nWo (Rodman) and a current member of the WWE HOF (Trump) were/are trying to make peace in the Korean Peninsula
Last edited by class316 on January 4th, 2019, 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » January 3rd, 2019, 4:48 pm

I don't think Class was in the USA when this aired, to be fair.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » January 3rd, 2019, 7:21 pm

In 1995 I didn't even have Internet. Got that in 1996