Rise and Shine, It's Groundhog Day!

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

Rise and Shine, It's Groundhog Day!

Post by Greg2600 » June 13th, 2019, 1:11 pm

The one and only Heel Orton :heelorton: had a NYC spot he wanted to try for a few old music names and an actor we both wanted. The actor was Arliss Howard from Full Metal Jacket. I had other spots I wanted to hit as well, with WOODMO in fact, and boy where this night would go, I couldn’t have scripted! We arrived around the same time for the way in. Spot G.E. Smith from the old Saturday Night Live band of the 80’s and 90’s. He’s very cool and does pics. Fred Schneider from the B-52’s runs up, H.O. tries to stop him but he runs away and into the club. Heard he’s bad about photos. About twenty minutes later I spot Maureen Van Zandt, wife of Steven, a Sopranos actress, and get her. Minutes later we see Simon Kirke from Bad Company walk up, and he’s also very friendly. We wait and wait until the event begins, but only see Debra Winger, wife of Howard, pull up. We both had her so didn’t bother her.

GE

Simon

Maureen

At this point, we leave, and I continue on to a spot for Billions, hoping for Paul Giamatti yet again. This spot was terrible, way too many people. The first cast member barely stopped, plus the arrivals were well over an hour later than I hoped. I gave up and left, taking WOODMO :pauuuse: with me. He went elsewhere (for Mary Elizabeth Winstead) while I rejoined Orton. We waited a bit as the music played and the sky darkened. Unbeknownst to us, a MAJOR surprise guest was inside doing his “thing.” We only got a clue while we searched social media for evidence Arliss was there. As the event ended, he bounded out with Winger and Kathryn Erbe, fellow performers. Good God King! It was BILL MURRAY!!!! Yes, THAT Bill Murray. The same guy who seems to do selfies the world over, but is quite tough in NYC, especially if he thinks you’re stalking him. We had no plan. A couple people thanked him for coming. I tried to get a handshake and say something, but he scooted by. Gahhhh! Luckily Mr. Heel barged in and got his attention. In what seemed like a dream sequence, he did the photo, then thanked us and started away. I then asked him, to which he (I hoped) joked that we’re “pros” and that’s why I wanted one too. I was about to crap my pants that he would deny me. However, he walked over, and I said, “not a pro, Bill, I’m gonna go home and cry about this, you’re my idol.” He laughed and I got it. WOW! We were so stunned we forgot to wait for Schneider and left after finding out Arliss Howard, our reason for coming, no showed. Ha ha ha!

:score:

Meanwhile, WOODMO found a spot for Mary Elizabeth later on, so Heel and I went there. We got her other half Ewan McGregor, though my shot was out of focus and his Winstead was even worse. Hard to complain about that after this night.

Ewan

Riding the Murray high, I hoped to get Ben Affleck at a spot for a new Kevin Bacon show. Sadly, Big Ben bailed. D’oh. The cast was largely no names, but I got an update with Bacon as well as Rescue Me’s Kevin Chapman. Also got Jere Shea, Mark O’Brien, update with Jill Hennessy but little else. Amanda Clayton ignored us, and other wants like Cathy Moriarty and Michaela McManus didn’t come. Bacon’s wife Kyra Sedgewick showed up late as I was walking away, and I decline to turn back around as she only did a few anyway.

Bacon

Jill

Kevin

Mark

Jere
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

capman
Marked Out Pro

Re: Rise and Shine, It's Groundhog Day!

Post by capman » June 13th, 2019, 1:30 pm

Bravo to You and H.O. on Murray. and you didn't have to wait til 3:00 a.m.!

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » June 13th, 2019, 1:38 pm

Perfection

MrTonyRuben
Marked Out Pro

Post by MrTonyRuben » June 13th, 2019, 1:44 pm

Absolutely epic, Greg! Congrats!

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » June 13th, 2019, 2:10 pm

Great Bill Murray! Congrats.

billybatson22
Full Fledged Mark

Post by billybatson22 » June 13th, 2019, 2:23 pm

That Bill Murray photo op is better than getting one with the Dalai Lama himself (including the robes, the grace..)! LOL!

AWWWWWWESOME!

Joresky

Post by Joresky » June 13th, 2019, 2:28 pm

Awesome Bill Murray photo!!! Congrats!!! :clap:

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » June 13th, 2019, 2:40 pm

This report would have truly made me weep - IF I didn't already have Peter Venkman and Obi Wan.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » June 13th, 2019, 2:47 pm

Incredible stuff!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 13th, 2019, 6:30 pm

Epic Bill Murray. Perfect photo. Greg to his credit invited me on the Bill hunt once he found out but I couldn’t justify throwing away my entire plan for a likely failure. Who knew the success would be so epic!!

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » June 14th, 2019, 12:42 am

Amazing bill Murray shot. Street meet of the year.

Cozmik
Marking Out Amateur

Post by Cozmik » June 14th, 2019, 4:38 am

Congrats on Bill Murray!

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Post by Jason1980s » June 14th, 2019, 2:32 pm

Epic Bill Murray! I almost have to wonder if something's wrong with him because I've seen a few very good photos with him as of late (facebook celebrity meet sites). He goes from being goofy about not doing photo ops to doing stops and smiles.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » June 14th, 2019, 2:48 pm

Thank you all for the kind words! There are very few times in this hobby when I am star struck anymore. It's always amazing to see the old classic rock gods, even the nasty ones, in person. I remain in awe of them, even if I get nothing at all. Page, Daltrey, Sir Paul, etc. When it comes to movie stars, many of those kinds of names (for me) have passed on. However, Bill is one of those guys. Growing up, I probably could repeat every line from a variety of comedies that guys like Murray, Chevy Chase, and Eddie Murphy (still need!). You know a lot of the younger generation (to me) will cite how much a Tom Hanks means to them, visa vie his movies. However, Bill's movies were everything to me. Just his goofiness and line delivery, I WANTED to be him in one of his movies! So the meet is extra special.

Jason, sometimes you get nice Bill and sometimes you will get the Murricane! He's especially testy these days if he thinks you're waiting on him. However, as I said, I check his hashtag on IG quite a bit, and you see instance after instance of really amazing encounters with him all over the place. They are just 90% random though. He buys people drinks all the time, he just enjoys the company of others and often encourages people to live life and experience the world. I will say though that the hipster sainthood given to him is really obnoxious, as most hipster crap is. I mean, the guy had a frigging career before Royal Tannenbaums/Lost in Translation, two movies I couldn't stand!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » June 14th, 2019, 3:11 pm

I remember how euphoric I was when I met Bill. Glad you got to experience that high.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets