Greg's Final 2018 Freeze-Out (2) Wintercon, Steel City, Williams, Wilson, Stan & Ollie

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

Greg's Final 2018 Freeze-Out (2) Wintercon, Steel City, Williams, Wilson, Stan & Ollie

Post by Greg2600 » December 23rd, 2018, 10:26 pm

Now to focus on what happened INSIDE during this chilly December....

Started off going to Wintercon afterall out in Jamaica, Queens. I got to the convention, which was really badly run this time. Nobody had change, not at the admission table nor the celebrity tables. The Lexx cast at least was present, while the none of the voice actors or Sean Astin were. I will say, the Lexx cast was a blast to chat with. Like clockwork, this old cook was there same as me, so I had to take his photos with an ancient FILM point & shoot camera. Michael McManus, Brian Downey, Xenia Seeberg, and Ellen Dubin were present, and all were really nice and had great stories to tell. I wound up talking with them for close to an hour, because the voice actors were ridiculously late. I only spent $40 on the four of them too, as they were charging $10 for selfies, plus I got an 8x10 signed for free! There was even someone with a recreation of the 790 robotic head and Brian Downey acted out a few scenes, which was hilarious. I also met Alexis Cruz, who was a late addition, from the Stargate movie, also a nice guy, and 10 bucks for the photo. Finally the voice actors showed up, so I got Taylor Grey to sign a figure of Asian Dave’s. From there, I left because Sean Astin, at $50 for an autograph, no thanks (I need him on something).

Xenia and Michael (Xev and Kai)

Ellen and Brian (Gigerota and Stanley)

Brian goofing around with "790"

Lexx signed 8x10, and Brian gave me a ticket from the wrap party.

Alexis

Taylor

I kept the Steel City Con December edition on my radar for awhile, as I wanted the Urk-ster and a few others. In the past I kind of swore off this convention. The spring and summer versions usually conflict with other conventions or recreational stuff I am doing. What’s more, there’s no attractive rail or bus that can get me there in a reasonable time frame. Winter is usually off-limits due to weather. Well, I felt like I could make it this time for a few reasons. First, having driven from home to the PA/OH border during the Arnold trip, I felt like I could do it in one shot. Second, it was not going to snow. Asian Dave was kind enough to offer a spare room at his mountain lair for me as well. Anyways, I departed on Friday, and took Route 80, which is toll-less and quite annoying as you are often pinned behind TWO 18-wheelers who hog the entire highway. I got there, including a gas stop, around 6 or so. Dave and I grabbed greasy dinner at Primanti Brothers, perused a Wal-Mart, then called it a night.

On Saturday I headed out first, got my wristband, then waited in my warm car. When they allowed GA’s to enter, I went in. DJKnightRidda was already in Jaleel White’s line so I joined him. We got Jaleel’s combo $60 followed by Tatyana Ali, while DJ got Karyn Parsons himself. After them, I opted to get a photo with Kristy McNichol from Empty Nest, a sitcom I loved as a kid. We then waited a short bit in Adam Baldwin’s line. I needed him on three items, Firefly (living cast complete), Chuck, and my Full Metal Jacket DVD. Quite rare for me to splurge that much on one guy, but he just doesn’t come around the Northeast hardly at all. That completed my convention, in under one hour. I saw Joresky briefly and said hello, then passed my band off to Dave, said our good-byes, and left. I got some Panda Express, then hit the road again. Traffic was minimal, and I was home, including another gas stop, in under six hours.

Jaleel

Tatyana, Karyn

Baldwin

Image Image

Kristy

The following day, I needed to head over to Astoria, Queens, NY, for musician and actor Paul Williams. I know him from Smokey and the Bandit most of all, but he was appearing to speak about and sign the album for Henson’s Emmet Otter’s Jug-Band Christmas. This was the first time they’d released an album for the 1977 special. Anywho, I’ve actually seen Paul a couple times randomly, but I couldn’t go and ask him, because I was waiting at barricades for others. Capman sent me an album and DVD to get signed, because he couldn’t attend. My friends actually went and enjoyed the talk. I simply waltzed in, and got at the front of the line, ha ha. Paul signed the items and posed for a photo. He was very nice, in fact. I heard he signed and spoke to people for nearly two hours!

Another “indoor” meet was back in my neck of the burbs, at the Patrick Wilson signing in Montclair, NJ. I got there and waited awhile, but the weather was fine. Patrick signed whatever you had, after buying an item for charity. Unfortunately his wife was not there. I had the stuff signed for others, including Asian Dave, and the photo was simply an update. But it was nice to come and support something locally that I hope can continue.

Image Image

The old “radio promotion” which had landed yours truly such guaranteed ops as Mel Gibson, Drew Barrymore, and Rene Zellweger had gone largely dry. They changed the rules so that basically it has become easier to win the Mega Millions lottery. I got an invite though to watch a chat with the stars of Stan & Ollie (Laurel and Hardy biopic), John C. Reilly and Steve Coogan, as well as directory Jon Baird. Normally these chats, which are hosted by radio hosts I listen to, do NOT feature any fan interaction. However, I figured I’d attend, and who knows, maybe ambush the usually difficult Reilly in the elevator or something, ha ha ha! I get in there, and quickly surmise that they had indeed offered this as a contest, unbeknownst to me. Wow! What a stroke of luck, especially since Coogan blew me off outside on the way in. The three men took photos, and I of course ran over to get next to John C. Afterwards, I heard that combo hunters kind of cornered him in the building downstairs and he begrudgingly did photos. I waited for Coogan to leave to get a solo shot, but he snuck out.

John C., Baird, and Coogan

The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

capman
Marked Out Pro

Re: Greg's Final 2018 Freeze-Out (2) Wintercon, Steel City, Williams, Wilson, Stan & Ollie

Post by capman » December 24th, 2018, 8:11 am

Thanks again for getting my Emmet album signed. Great on the Stan and Ollie photo too. Good work!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Greg's Final 2018 Freeze-Out (2) Wintercon, Steel City, Williams, Wilson, Stan & Ollie

Post by WOODMO » December 24th, 2018, 8:22 am

Awesome Reilly and Pittsburgh scores!

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » December 24th, 2018, 9:00 am

wow fantastic pro op. Also I still need Patrick. ughhh
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 24th, 2018, 12:45 pm

capman wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 8:11 am
Thanks again for getting my Emmet album signed. Great on the Stan and Ollie photo too. Good work!
No problemo, worked out well, and thanks for the DVD.
class316 wrote:
December 24th, 2018, 9:00 am
wow fantastic pro op. Also I still need Patrick. ughhh
Patrick Wilson? Well I have 3 ops so you can have one of mine!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » December 28th, 2018, 12:44 pm

Epic stuff, man. This "radio promotion" thing sounds...intriguing?
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Joresky

Post by Joresky » December 31st, 2018, 9:02 am

Lots of great scores here congrats .. awesome seeing you at Steel City Con :like: