Greg's NYCC Week through Friday

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Greg2600

Greg's NYCC Week through Friday

Post by Greg2600 » October 23rd, 2018, 5:19 pm

Ugh, what a week? This has to be, as many stated here going in, the crappiest NYCC lineup in many years. The ONLY indoor wants of mine were Teri Hatcher and Mark Sheppard. This meant tons of outdoor gawking along with a literal United Nations of weird collectors from around the world. My want list was extensive, but in all honesty, it was 80-90% easy, nice, and small-to-medium star power. There was really no reason not to do well, and yet, well…..

In reality, I did best on names who were NOT involved with NYCC, which often happens, but never to this extent. In fact, my only regret was bailing on a few of them that I should have attempted. This began on the weekend leading up, where I was tired from driving to and from Maryland, and didn’t go for Eric Stoltz, because he did it for everyone there.

I was all in on the Tiffani Thiessen NJ signing, but I really didn’t expect her to sign extras. I went to the ol’ mess in Manhattan to try for her instead. While there, I grabbed a photo with Tom Morello from Rage Against the Machine, who I’d missed a couple times before, plus got Cuba Gooding Jr. to sign a funny photo from Rat Race. Tiffani though, sheesh, pretended to be on the phone both in and out! I chilled around a bit, and then went for Eric Idle, who I loved in European Vacation and Nuns on the Run, plus he was the voice of Wreck-Gar in Transformers the Movie. He blanked way in, and took forever to leave. When he did, I got him! He seemed less enthused about selfies, so I had someone take it for me.

Tom

Cuba

Idle

I did bring my mom to the Tiffani Thiessen book signing at Bookends, as she loves her cooking show and whatnot. Tiffani arrived early, and made fast work of the crowd. She was engaging though, but it that was that. Again thanks to Jabroni for cutting us in! Dropped my mom at home, and headed out to NYC for some celebs. JOresky got into town, so I met up with him for a few good names. First was actress Claire Foy, who was promoting First Man (I love space movies), and will be in the new “Dragon Tattoo girl” movie. Then we got award winning director Damien Chazelle. I needed Stockard Channing from Grease, so we went over there next. She was very nice, but actor Hugh Dancy snuck out. Then it began to pour! When it lessened a bit, I made a mad dash for the car, then drove back and picked up Jerry. He wanted to try for the band Simple Minds leaving, so we went up there. They took forever to exit, and with a light rain only, proceeded to be run into their van! We did get a random, Mike Peters from The Alarm, who I liked as well, so not a complete bust for me. Dropped Jerry at the subway around the block, and went home.

Tiff

Foy

Chazelle

Channing

Peters

The next afternoon, I decided to give another go at Tiffani, as in Tribeca she was not signing the book on site. Before this, I hit the madhouse for Donald Faison from Scrubs and Can’t Hardly Wait. He and Bobby Moyhnihan are voices on the new Star Wars Resistance animated series. As a result, there were eight times the number of dealers for them. Since the show hasn’t started, most of them were just shoving blanks in their faces. Donald was great though, and stopped for everyone. I then drove my friends Josh and Wong over to Barnes and Noble. I was actually able to mooch it (and dodge half the crowd), and gave Josh my book. This time I got a standing shot with the girl of my dreams many, many moons ago. From there, I raced to NJ to get to my softball game.

Donald

Tiff II

NYCC would now officially begin. I took NJ Transit into the city this time. Arrived and joined Lanza at the barricade. First name we got was Scott Adsit from 30 Rock, followed by horror director Robert Rodriguez, who was my main want of the day.

Adsit

Rod

With that out of the way, I felt I could gamble a bit on a big name, Steve Perry of Journey. I joined JOresky on this move, as it was his info, more or less. Another NY collector was with us, while some dealers came and went. Capman was also providing some intel on this, and said that a Journey fan, who got Steve back in August, was back again. We sat around, while that woman was across the way on her phone paying zero attention. Well, I spot him hurriedly walking up the sidewalk, and we start moving. Unfortunately, this woman sees him at the last second, and he stops for a selfie, then DENIES me! We were really pissed. Like idiots we waited a few hours for him to leave, but it started raining, and he was rushed out amidst a mob of 40 dealers.

:punches:

I joined another friend at a “dry spot” for NASCAR 7-time champ Jimmie Johnson, who is impossible to get photos with at the track. This was the Macy’s event, but luckily turned out to be totally free. The wait wasn’t too bad, and we got him along with Richard Rawlings from Gas Monkey Garage. The lighting was awful in the booth they set up, and the woman taking the photos was a mile away.

JJ48

Next I attempted to get an autograph and one photo from actors from The Man In The High Castle, but on exit they were rushed away. The publicist whined that they had a 13-hour day and had no time, to which the lone other person, a grapher, bitched him out for saying. Lanza relayed that Javits was dead, and nobody saw Rachel Miner from Supernatural. All I got was John McGinley on my Office Space. JOresky and Asian Dave finished their wants uptown, and we grouped up to get something to eat and rest. We then went to a spot for Paddy Considine, who I wanted from At World’s End, and Genevieve O’Reilly, the young Mon Mothma in Rogue One. While there, another show lets out, and people are everywhere. I noticed a familiar SUV, so I waited nearby thinking that it’s a celebrity’s car. Right I was when Billy Crystal started moving toward the open door. Despite his initial hesitation, he did the photo! Obviously, HUGE get for me, as I’ve been a big fan forever. Paddy and Genevieve I got no problem, then rushed to Penn Station. There was a train issue, and tons of them were canceled. As a result I had to Uber from Secaucus to the train station I had parked at.

Billy!

Paddy

Genevieve

John C. on Office Space

On day two, thanks to Capman info, I tried for Steve Perry again in the morning. We knew of two shows he was doing, but I chose the second because I felt more confident about the location. Unfortunately this was a bad choice. Class got him at the first one, which frankly I was 50/50 on guessing, while he no showed mine. After quick digging, it appeared he used a different building the company owned! What’s crazy is we saw the DJ who hosted his panel, but he must have jumped on the subway. It didn’t matter as Perry denied going in, and then snuck out, although I felt like if I was there, I would have followed his car to the sneak door. After that debacle, I joined Lanza to attempt a couple names with the new series, The Boys. Namely, we wanted Eric Kripke who created Supernatural, and Anthony Starr formerly of Banshee. Simon Pegg was taken into the building covered by an umbrella, I guess to remain a “surprise?” We also saw Meg Ryan walk in to visit her son Jack Quaid, but she denied. The way out was crazy, Pegg did nothing, but most did. Even Karl Urban. Anthony Starr completely ignored us! Kripke stopped, signed my poster, and took photos. We also got David Ajala of Nightflyers. From there, I entered the Javits Center, and promptly got my autograph on the poster from Mark Sheppard, aka Crowley, that completes it. Before leaving, I should have checked out the panel exit for Fanboys’ director Kyle Newman, but completely forgot.

Ajala

Kripke

Supernatural completed

Pegg?

I then journeyed back outside, where I got Thomas Kretschmann from U-571, The Pianist, and Berlin Station. We then followed Beastmaster director Don Coscarelli up the block and grabbed photos. As a huge fan of that franchise, Phantasm, it was a nice one. Finished the day there getting Omar Miller from Miracle at St. Anna, Brandon Mychal Smith from You’re The Worst, the aforementioned Jack Quaid, an update with Alicia Witt, and Oliver Jackson-Cohen of The Haunting of Hill House. Lanza and I pleaded with Starr when he left this spot, but he refused, saying he “had no time.” Dick.

Thomas

Don

Omar

Brandon

Alicia

Jack

Oliver

As night fell, I got photos with cast members from the new Umbrella Academy Netflix series, namely Robert Sheehan, Tom Hopper, and Emmy Raver-Lampman. Before leaving, I also got Adam Fergus from Supernatural, as well as actress (now voice) Cameron Richardson who I swore was Meredith Monroe but wasn’t! Many of us waited a long time for the Sabrina series people to leave, but it was dead so we left. I heard the next day that they finally did like half an hour later. Sadly one was Mirando Otto who I still need. At this point, I went home.

Tom

Robert

Emmy

Adam

Cameron
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Re: Greg's NYCC Week through Friday

Post by hack87 » October 23rd, 2018, 11:27 pm

Nice photos with Tiffani -- especially the full / standing op from NYC. You got a better autograph than some of the others I've seen.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » October 24th, 2018, 7:39 am

Nice scores

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » October 24th, 2018, 10:36 am

Great stuff! Sorry to hear that Anthony Starr was a jerk. Love the Crystal shot!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » October 24th, 2018, 12:01 pm

Some excellent stuff!!

Joresky

Post by Joresky » October 25th, 2018, 8:47 am

Great haul!! It was a very productive week :like: