Starrcast 2018!

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Bobby
Full Fledged Mark

Starrcast 2018!

Post by Bobby » October 2nd, 2018, 2:28 pm

Hi all! It's been quite a while since I last posted a report here (think it was my Tokyo report), but I've got a little free time lately so I'm gonna try to knock a few of these out, starting with my latest trip, Chicago last month, for Starrcast and All In! I had been working a shitload of extra time over the summer so had some extra cash, and this was looking to be quite the historical show, found a plane ticket for $400, and some cheap accomodation, so this was quite the easy choice! I wasn't planning on buying a lot of photo ops, but there was a pretty good sale the week before the show (combos 1/2 price), and I was able to score some names in the bar or just join my buddies in the queue.
Thursday:
Arrived in Chicago in the afternoon, took a cab to the hotel my buddies were staying in, catched up with them and chilled for a bit in the room, then headed off to Starrcast. I only had a combo with PCO and Destructo here, which was only $12.50. Luckily I already met PCO at Wrestlecon, as I am not happy how the picture turned out as the lightning wasn't good and the fella who took the pic wasn't the best photographer in the world.

After this, PCO went on to do a live exhibition in the lobby, which was quite impressive. My buddies were in line for Cody & The Young Bucks (which was insane, they had Hulk Hogan lines here), so I stayed in the lobby and later on went to the live Monday Night War debate with Bruce Prichard and Eric Bischoff which was a lot of fun, as Bischoff was quite drunk and was on fire. Went back to the hotel, ordered food, and called it a night.

Friday:
Got up early, had breakfast, took an uber with my buddies and went to the Pro Wrestling Tees store, for the CM Punk meet and greet. When tickets went on sale back in May I was lucky to score a ticket for the photo opp. One of my friends wasn't so lucky, and asked if he decided to come (he decided a week before to come) if he could be in my pic, which of course was no problem. People with VIP tickets were allowed in first, and people with a picture only were allowed in after VIP's had received their autograph. Here it gets funny - they didn't check wristbands for VIP's, so my 2 buddies who had VIP gave us their wristband and we got in! Every VIP got a free t-shirt and signed 8x10, so this was a nice little extra. My friend got the same so he didn't have to be in my picture. Punk was ULTRA nice, even chatted about Amsterdam a bit, one of the few places he never has been to but would love to visit. After getting our autographs we went back in line with my buddies to get the picture taken.
Quickly took the uber back to Starrcast, as I had quite a few meet and greets. First up was the War Games Retrospective, where you got a signed poster plus a photo op with JJ Dillon, Road Warrior Animal, Lex Luger, and Tully Blanchard:
Up next were the Firing Squad and Haku. All three were very nice, and Haku surprised me by putting on a headlock on me out of nowhere!
Up next, Hangman Page, who was quiet but very nice. Very happy with this picture as he was the last BTE member I didn't have yet.
Up next an old top want of mine who I got at Big Event in 2016, Dr. D. David Schultz. I didn't like the way he looked at Big Event (cap, long beard), and he looked like the 'old' Doctor D. here. He was very nice and only $20 a combo, so got my book signed and a new picture. He told me there is a chance his book is going to be made into a movie, if all works out. Really nice guy.
Up next, the Dungeon of Doom photo, which was ridiculous. Luckily this was only $12.50 in the sale, otherwise this would have been a huge ripoff. First off, Beefcake and Barbarian were an hour late, and Sullivan was just sitting there. Second, they said Beefcake would be in Zodiac paint (the only reason I got this), and he wasn't. Instead, he had a Zodiac mask he held in front of his face. Third, the 8x10 you were getting was just Kevin Sullivan, and all 3 signed it there. What a waste.
Next, Burnard and Bury the bears.
While waiting in the lobby for the ICP line to start, some of the wrestlers did free photos. First, I got Joey Janela and Penelope. Both were extremely nice.
Chuckie T and Trent Beretta
Matt Cross
Unfortunately, the Insane Clown Posse were going about 90 minutes late with their eat and greet, which really sucked as nobody informed us of this while we were in line. This was also the same time as the Roast of Bruce Prichard which I missed because of this. After being in line for an hour, we were allowed in the room. After 10 minutes, we had to leave the room again and queue AGAIN, as ICP didn't want to come into a room with people already waiting. Whatever. After another 30 minutes, it was finally our turn. Both were EXTREMELY nice and even chatted with them a few minutes about Amsterdam.
While in line, Scott D'Amore was walking around doing free pics.
This was the final meet of a VERY, very long day.

Saturday:
All In day! Had breakfast and quickly went to Starrcast.
They were doing a cool deal where you could take a photo wearing a ring used Ric Flair robe along with the ring used WCW title.
Didn't have any meet and greets for about 2 hours, so went to the live X-Pac podcast with Hall and Nash. The host of the podcast was Neal Pruitt. A who name indeed. Turned out he was the voice of this little thing:
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ekG8K8YBp0[/youtube]
Took a picture for the hell of it, really nice guy.
After this, it was time for the Arn Anderson, Tully Blanchard, and JJ Dillon photo opp. Midway this was getting rushed, as Arn had a plane to catch. I really like this photo and a great add was the old NWA tag title belts.
Funny thing - in the room next to this, they were taping a podcast with Sean Mooney and Jim Johnston. So all of a sudden, the lights went out in this room and the Undertaker music hit. The entire room was pitch black dark, and the people handling the table still took photos! A few seconds later the lights went back on and people weren't allowed a retake.
Next, Pentagon and Fenix. This was being rushed as their plane got delayed by a few hours, hence Pentagon ain't wearing his facepaint.
Next, Raven with the old ring used ECW title. Raven was super nice, and we had a little chat about the sister of his ex-wife being from a little town in the Netherlands. I really like this picture.
Joined my buddies in line for the Kevin Nash and Jeff Jarrett picture with the old ring used WCW title, the guy handling the line was busier checking out Karen Jarrett then checking out tickets, so I just jumped in and got the pictures taken. Nash is still HUGE.

After this went to the Sears Center for All In, had great seats and loved the show. Skipped the after party and went back to the hotel to get some sleep.

Sunday:
Had breakfast, then quickly went to Starrcast again for the final string of meets. First up, David Arquette, who was ultra friendly.
Up next was Road Warrior Animal, met him a few times already but he was wearing the shoulder pads which was a cool extra. He didn't charge me for the photo!
Was able to join my buddies in the Cody and Brandi Rhodes line, and this line was insane! It took ages to get through it as both were ultra friendly and took their time with everyone. Cody brought the NWA title for the photo opp which was a cool little extra.

This was the end of the convention for me. Went back into the vendor room as I wanted the Gobbledy Gooker picture. I know it wasn't Hector Guerrero in the suit, but I heard they were doing photo ops with someone in the full Gobbledy Gooker costume! I asked the guy running the table but he said the guy already left. Wish they advertised this! I got a pic with just the head.

Strolled around some more and scored a few free photos.
Papa Buck:

Joey Ryan:

Blue Pants:
Jimmy Jacobs:
Alicia Atout:

That was the end of Starrcast. In the evening we went to an indy show called Warrior Wrestling, which most likely featured the final indy appearance of Rey Mysterio. Nice show, unfortunately there was no airco in the entire hall so the heat was unbearable. Scored a free picture of David Arquette and his tag team partner RJ City in their ring gear.

I don't have much autographs to show, as I only got a few, but I do want to share this one, as it's pretty unique. A signed All In ticket by Cody Rhodes and the Bucks.

Hope you all enjoyed my report and hopefully I can post some other reports over the next few weeks including meets in Europe the past few months and Mania 34.

yosemitechris
Marked Out King

Re: Starrcast 2018!

Post by yosemitechris » October 2nd, 2018, 2:43 pm

one super great report, so many great photo's! you have a couple great one of a kind photos too.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » October 2nd, 2018, 3:14 pm

Wow, great variety, looks like it was a really nice venue too.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » October 2nd, 2018, 3:51 pm

Glad u had a great time

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » October 2nd, 2018, 5:24 pm

Nice, that Arquette photo could get wrestling meet of the year. Any reason why Omega or Okada didn't do Starrcast?

Bobby
Full Fledged Mark

Post by Bobby » October 2nd, 2018, 5:32 pm

mrira wrote:
October 2nd, 2018, 5:24 pm
Nice, that Arquette photo could get wrestling meet of the year. Any reason why Omega or Okada didn't do Starrcast?
Omega did, along with Ibushi. But met both already, and didnt wanna pay huge prices

Okada did a signing similair to punk at the Pro Wrestling Tees store, think it was $80 a combo. Got him in England 2 months earlier for just $30 a combo luckily

capman
Marked Out Pro

Post by capman » October 2nd, 2018, 9:11 pm

This may be the report of the year. This is the way a report is done - detailed, large pictures. I would have gotten a picture with the the old NWA belt alone!! Great work

luiginyc84
Marked Out Pro

Post by luiginyc84 » October 2nd, 2018, 11:13 pm

Excellent stuff. That signed ticket by Cody & The Bucks will be a great keepsake.
My Photo Ops / Autographs Collection
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luiginyc84/sets/

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » October 7th, 2018, 4:50 pm

Tremendous report! I love those photo ops, man, especially the CM Punk shot!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » October 9th, 2018, 3:01 am

ughhh....Katie Vick. Would be so cool to get that.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/