Meeting The King of Rock

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Whole F'N Gigantor
Full Fledged Mark

Meeting The King of Rock

Post by Whole F'N Gigantor » December 14th, 2017, 1:50 pm

A few weeks ago, DMC of the iconic rap group RUN-DMC came up to The Record Archive in Rochester for an instore signing of his new album "Back From The Dead" and discussion of the importance of vinyl.

DMC kicked everything off simple enough. Giving stories about how vinyl was a huge part of his life and discovering music and how hearing it on a vinyl album is much different than an iPod. All good points and great stories, even discussing the making of the music video for my favorite RUN DMC song, Rockbox. He also discussed how he loved and discovered Sugar Hill Gang's "Rappers Delight" thanks to the Superman references, as he is a lifelong comic book fan. Which I found to be a funny story, since that sounds like something I'd prolly get into a song over as a kid. The record he signed looks absolutely incredible, but since I'm not a vinyl collector I decided I'd put it up for sale later, so I didn't have him make it out to me. But he also inscribed "RIP JMJ", a reference to Jam Master Jay, Run DMC's late dj. I found out when I got there, despite being told in advanced he wouldn't, that DMC would be signing extras. Thankfully, the store had a used copy of Krush Groove for only 5 bucks, which I've been wanting to get my hands on for some time as it's such a great movie, so I decided I'd try to have him sign it. Thankfully he was more than happy to see Krush Groove and even gushed about it. He even put "It's Tricky" and "Krush Groove" inscriptions.

The big reason I wanted to meet DMC wasn't due to his music, but because his 2006 VH1 special about finding his real mother inspired me to get in contact with my biological family, which I did less than a year later. He was very shocked and appreciative when I told him this, to the point that he told me "An adopted celebrity one time told me, you don't start a book on chapter 2, you gotta start from the beginning. Good or bad." He gave me a hug, and we got our photo op to which I requested us folding our arms. He laughed and said "my man wants a b-boy stance, you give it to him!". It turned out great.

They actually brought in a photographer who was taking photos. They didn't want people using their own personal cameras or phones and photo ops could be retrieved off the Record Archive fb page but I emailed the photographer to see if she could email me the full resolution photos, which she was more than happy to do. The photos came out GREAT and I hope I can get him to sign our "album cover" photo lol! Definitely a favorite meet of the year, I can't say enough nice things about him. If you guys ever get the chance to meet DMC, fan of his music or not, I highly suggest it. He's lead a fascinating life and absolutely a real fun guy to chat with!
Attachments
record.jpg
DMC.jpg
24129768_10156023061648631_2316758436721454186_n.jpg

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Meeting The King of Rock

Post by WOODMO » December 14th, 2017, 5:33 pm

Awesome!!

Gumby
Marked Out Pro

Post by Gumby » December 15th, 2017, 12:52 am

Really enjoyed reading this report, Gigantor. The album cover has wonderful art by Tony Moore (co-creator of The Walking Dead) and was signed perfectly. Oh, and congrats on picking up Krush Groove, a really nice score since it's long been out-of-print. :like:

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » December 16th, 2017, 11:02 am

Sick photo op!
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » December 18th, 2017, 7:48 am

Very nice photo.