All Things That Rock Expo Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Joresky

All Things That Rock Expo Report

Post by Joresky » December 1st, 2014, 10:00 am

This past Saturday I went to Oaks, PA (suburb of Philadelphia) to attend the All Things That Rock Expo with my friend Dave. When we got to the show we went to buy our admission tickets ($11 each) and we saw a sign that said they were selling autograph and photo op tickets for Ed Kowalczyk (lead singer of the band Live) and Artimus Pyle (drummer of Lynyrd Skynyrd) for $20 each. We were kind of bummed to see the pricing :dislike: because we were hoping it would be less money so I bought a photo op ticket for each of them and decided to skip the autographs. I had already met Ed in the past so it wasn't a huge deal to skip his autograph.. I was only getting another photo op because he looks a bit different (has a beard now). I went and got my photo with Ed and he was friendly as always. After my buddy gets his photo and the one autograph he pays for he asks Ed if he can sign his other CDs and and Ed signs everything else he has for free. :hcit: I even got two of my buddies items signed for him so he didn't look like an autograph dealer (which he isn't). After knowing that Ed would sign for free I thought about going to buy some used Live CDs (which the vendors room had plenty of) but I wanted to get the other celebrities I came for so I didn't miss anyone. Unfortunately, Ed was only scheduled to be at the con from 12 to 2 pm so I wouldn't have a chance to get him again later. Next me and my friend got our photos taken with Artimus Pyle (drummer for Lynyrd Skynyrd).. he was very friendly and even asked our names and shook our hands. :hellyeah: Artimus was definitely an awesome score because he played with Skynyrd for over 30 years. Next I got in line to meet Peter Criss, the original drummer of Kiss. I had met Peter years ago at a Chiller Theatre convention but unfortunately the only way to get a photo op with him at the time was with his wife's outdated Polaroid instant camera (poor quality). Its good that I got a couple autographs from Peter at Chiller because he raised his prices since then. At Chiller he charged $10 for the photo and $30 for each autograph and at this con the price was $35 for the photo op (on my digital camera) and $50 for each autograph so I chose to skip the autograph (since I already had some) and go for my photo upgrade. I only had to wait in line 20 minutes or so and when I got up to him he was nice as could be. I got two photo ops with him and I congratulated him on making it into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. :yes: He said it was a "nightmare" but thanked me anyway.

Next I got a photo with Jade Starling, lead singer of Pretty Poison. She was only $10 which is reasonable.. she even wanted to take a photo with me on her camera. After this I met David Uosikkinen, the drummer of the band The Hooters. I bought a CD from him that he signed for $10 and he took a free photo op with me. :like: Next I met Richie Ranno, the guitarist of the band Starz. I bought an eight by ten of Starz from his table for only $8 and he signed it and took a photo with me. He had some other really cool photos of other rock bands that I bought from him as well to get other bands to sign. After this I watched a show by the puppeteer Lee Zimmerman that I really enjoyed. He did a puppet show with Jimmie Hendrix and he did one of Whitney Houston and one more of a stripper. I was very impressed by his skills and decided to get a photo op with him. My friend then got a photo op with Brian Bortnick, the lead singer of local Philadelphia rock band Octane. He told me this guy had connections and was even trying his hand at acting so I got a photo op with him as well because you never know. :shrug: After this I hung out and shopped for some cool $1 CDs and I even bought two Lazerdiscs (Batman Forever and Terminator 2) for $5 each because I thought they looked cool (maybe I will get them signed one day). Before we left we saw a live performance by Artimus Pyle playing and singing Sweet Home Alabama. This was a great way to end the show for us because after that we left to go home. All in all, I had a fun time at the con and was glad I attended. :winning:
photopetercriss.JPG
Me and Peter Criss, drummer of Kiss
photopetercriss.JPG (556.26 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
photopetercriss2.JPG
Me and Peter Criss, drummer of Kiss
photopetercriss2.JPG (491.94 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
photoartimuspyle.JPG
Me and Artimus Pyle, drummer of Lynyrd Skynyrd
photoartimuspyle.JPG (441.24 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
photoedkowalczyk.jpg
Me and Ed Kowalczyk, lead singer of Live
photoedkowalczyk.jpg (475.63 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
photojadestarling.JPG
Me and Jade Starling, lead singer of Pretty Poison
photojadestarling.JPG (487.98 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
photorichieranno.JPG
Me and Richie Ranno, guitarist of Starz
photorichieranno.JPG (587.59 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
photoleezimmerman.JPG
Me and puppeteer Lee Zimmerman
photoleezimmerman.JPG (448.27 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
photobrianbortnick.JPG
Me and Brian Bortnick, lead singer of Octane
photobrianbortnick.JPG (461.23 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
autodaviduosikkinen.JPG
David Uosikkinen signed CD
autodaviduosikkinen.JPG (562.89 KiB) Viewed 1333 times
autorichieranno.JPG
Richie Ranno signed photo
autorichieranno.JPG (473.21 KiB) Viewed 1333 times

WartHog

Re: All Things That Rock Expo Report

Post by WartHog » December 1st, 2014, 9:54 pm

I was there for a little bit on Saturday, too. Did you happen to see anyone in line with the Nothin' to Lose book? I brought my copies and Peter (and his wife) were not happy to see them. I had to do some begging to get them signed. They were talking about putting a sign up saying he would not sign them. Just curious if that ended up happening.

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » December 2nd, 2014, 11:06 pm

Cool pics! The irony of that Peter Criss photo is great! Live is one of my favorite bands too (even though Ed isn't a member anymore). Awesome report!

Joresky

Post by Joresky » December 3rd, 2014, 9:06 am

One more pic I got at the event I forgot to post.. me and David Uosikkinen (drummer of The Hooters)
photodaviduosikkinen.JPG
Me and David Uosikkinen (drummer of The Hooters)
photodaviduosikkinen.JPG (427.86 KiB) Viewed 1131 times