16Times' Chiller Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
16times
Marked Out King

16Times' Chiller Report

Post by 16times » October 25th, 2013, 11:02 pm

I had a great time at Chiller Theatre Friday night. Overall, it was a fun and successful evening, and it was a stellar night for meeting other members of the board.

After a long drive north, and fighting mile by mile for the last hour (thanks to danged New Jersey highway construction), Mrs.16times and I finally got to the event. As soon as we walked up to get our wristbands, I was approached by Board Member BillyBatson, who called me out and introduced himself. Great guy, and it was pleasure to meet him (plus, having a total stranger recognize me and say hello impressed the heck out of the Mrs. !)

I had about 11 wants for Chiller. However, pricing and no-shows would cull the list down a good bit. The first celeb I met was MacKenzie Phillips. She looked great, and was very friendly. I was disappointed at how much she was asking, though. She was $20 for a photo op (fair enough), but that was ON TOP of anything else you wanted to buy. She had a great looking autobiography for sale....30 bucks. I would picked it up and gotten a photo, too, but no way was I gonna spend $50 for the experience. I settled for a photo op.

Next up was Gilbert Gottfried. I think most comedians tend to be kind of quiet, even shy in person, but I expected a little bit more enthusiasm that Gottfried showed. He was nice enough, but I was hoping for a little better interaction. I tried for a fun posed pic, but he wasn't into it. Later that night I heard some other fans griping about how they felt he treated them. Strange. Nobody makes these folks show up for a con. I was happy with my experience, though.

It was a lot of fun meeting Kent McCord from the old Adam 12 tv show. Kent's really aged since those days and in my opinion he looks more like Barry Bostwick than "Officer Reid", but at only 10 bucks for a photo op, meeting this humble, friendly guy was a great experience....

Sitting close to Kent McCord was Robert Hays of "Airplane" fame. Another great guy. $20 combo. Can't beat the price, and he seemed sincerely happy to be there. Afterwards I told him about a friend who is a big fan....and he cut a video promo for her for free!

Next up was Peter Fonda. At $25 for a photo op, I thought this was probably the best price of the night. Fonda was in a great mood (I think he may have been a little tipsy), and when I told him my favorite film of his was an obscure little movie from the early 80s called "Split Image", he pulled me close and told me a funny story from the set of the film. HCIT ! When it came time for our pic, I asked if he would consider removing his glasses, and he said, "no way", so here they are. Glasses or no, I really enjoyed meeting this iconic actor.

I headed for the Weird Al line, as just as we reached it, a guy cut front of us. It took me about 2 seconds to realize it was MarkedOut's own Class 316 ! We chatted for awhile, sharing some stories, and he texted Joresky over to join us. My wife has seen so many pics of Class and Joresky in action, we couldn't let the moment go by without getting our own group pic.

Weird Al himself was awesome. Easily one of my favorite celebrity photos of all time. At $30, the price was very reasonable, and I liked that they had him in his own room, behind a partition, so there was no crowd to fight and no distractions. Great guy. Seemed to enjoy being there. And I love the way he posed up with me !

Steve Guttenberg was also good to his guests. He had a pretty short line, and at $30 he was reasonable. I don't know how I came out looking crossed eyed in this pic, but the camera doesn't lie........

I got a good look at Corey Feldman when he walked past me on his way to his room about 2 hours into the show. He looked a lot different than I expected. Very tiny, with a look I would call "Goth Michael Jackson". He wasn't doing table pics, so he was a no go for me. Another person I had no trouble passing on was Omarosa from The Celebrity Apprentice. 30 bucks for a photo op ? Are you kidding me ? She'll have a long weekend. I hope she brought a book.

Walking around the show, I also met up with fellow board member Warthog, who recognized me and introduced himself. It is always a treat to meet folks from the board. Later on, the Mrs. and I ran into Oldschoolwwwf, Latino Heat, and his wife, Mished out. I'd met up with Oldschool and Lucas in the past, and this time I was glad I had my wife with me because I think she and Mished out probably have a lot of the same experiences.....having spouses with our hobby that slowly got them into it . It was great seeing all of them.

We finished up the night by meeting Kathy Garver, who played "Cissy" on the old 60s sitcom Family Affair (which I am actually old enough to remember being on TV). Oldschool tipped me off that she was only 5 bucks for a photo, so I decided to go see her. I ended up having a nice conversation with her, and learned that she was in one of my all time favorite movies, The 10 Commandments. She was just a little kid, and got some screen time with Charlton Heston during the big exodus scene.

All in all, a good Chiller time. The show this year is well organized, with plenty of staff on hand. It's always great to get some new pics, and it's a pleasure to meet some of the other board members.
"Every time you score a photo op, an angel gets his wings!"

Greg2600

Re: 16Times' Chiller Report

Post by Greg2600 » October 25th, 2013, 11:15 pm

Great report. Feldman wasn't doing table pics? That's stupid. Though the other prices sound pretty good for me tomorrow!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

billybatson22
Marking Out Amateur

Post by billybatson22 » October 25th, 2013, 11:47 pm

The pleasure was all mine..I love reading your reports along with the other frequent flyers here.

I wanted to say I totally agreed with your assessment on some of the guests. Robert Hays and Steve Guttenberg were beyond gracious to the fans. They were actually thanking US for being there. If you entered the Jaws room, the feeling was the same. I do have to say I did get a signature of Omarosa on my Celebrity Apprentice piece I'm working on and I was absolutely FLOORED as to how nice she was. (that's me on the left)

As for Corey Feldman...wow..frail, tiny, pale and a bit neurotic was what I witnessed, but heck, he signed a Donatello TMNT figure for my 8 year old son, so he's good to me!

Again, real pleasure meeting you! Hope it happens again soon!
Attachments
IMG_4260 (2) (800x600).jpg
IMG_4260 (2) (800x600).jpg (301.53 KiB) Viewed 4822 times

mishedout
Marking Out Amateur

Post by mishedout » October 26th, 2013, 10:09 am

nice to finally meet you and your wife

yosemitechris
Marked Out King

Post by yosemitechris » October 26th, 2013, 3:05 pm

love the peter fonda and the wierd al pic,great photo's. hope we can get wierd al to one of our convention out west soon, haha!

WartHog

Post by WartHog » October 26th, 2013, 7:29 pm

Great to meet you!!

bwo4life
Full Fledged Mark

Post by bwo4life » October 26th, 2013, 8:15 pm

great stuff!
I've heard Omarosa is actually pretty nice, and she looks good there.
Love the Weird Al photo too.

prowrestlingmall
Full Fledged Mark

Post by prowrestlingmall » October 26th, 2013, 8:22 pm

Awesome report man!!!!! Very cool!!!

Joresky

Post by Joresky » October 28th, 2013, 9:17 am

Great report & awesome finally meeting you in person!!! It was one of my biggest highlights at Chiller and your photo op prices were fair, free!! :hahaaa: :howcoolisthat: Hope to hang out again sometime :like: