Friday MonsterMania report!

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Friday MonsterMania report!

Post by AJLe » March 9th, 2019, 12:33 am

Made my way down to Cherry Hill for MonsterMania - primarily to get rare '78 Halloween guests Sandy Johnson and Mickey Yablans. Got there an hour or two before doors open, and parking and crowds were already out of control. It's crazy how much this show has changed over the years - when I first started going, if you were there by door opening you could usually park IN the actual hotel lot, and now hours beforehand, you can't even park close by on the main street.

Once doors opened, it was another cluster-F, as originally they had only one line to get into the guest room in the lobby, which means that the people waiting for Lundgren and people that just wanted the Halloween guests had to wait in the same line. They eventually split the lines, and let the Halloween people just walk in the room. Went straight to Sandy Johnson's line, who played Judith Myers (Michael's sister and first murder victim of the entire franchise). She was very nice, and I got her on my poster, and in my Japanese press book. Then made my way to Mickey Yablans (bully child Ritchie in the movie, who has the iconic scene where he bumps into Michael Myers outside of the school). Was also very nice, and was a rare guest who still had his prices at $20 and free table ops with purchase. The two of them brought my poster up to 14 signatures.

After getting my Halloween people, I briefly checked out the main Riverside room and both the crowd and the pricing discouraged me from any possibility of impulse buys, so I called it a night. It's been said before, but this con has outgrown the Crowne Plaza a while ago, and the line management is insane. They need to either find a bigger venue, or find ways to organize lines so that the lobby doesn't become a madhouse where the ticket line, the lobby guest room line, and the overflow lines from the headliners don't all converge at the same area. MonsterMania used to be an enjoyable and convenient con, but lately it's been more of a hassle than anything else.

Japanese press book

Halloween poster

Me and Mickey Yablans

Me and Sandy Johnson

Greg2600

Re: Friday MonsterMania report!

Post by Greg2600 » March 9th, 2019, 12:56 am

The first 3 hours of the show were a total nightmare. Glad I got to chat with some many folks there in the lobby, because I had nothing to do all night. Fairuza Balk doesn't fly and encountered bad weather and roads in her RV, not arriving until after midnight, so yet again I couldn't get her. The lines for Dolph and Ricci seemed to move okay, from what I was told.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » March 9th, 2019, 7:46 am

Great stuff. Who else do you want on your poster?

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » March 9th, 2019, 8:15 am

crossfire wrote:
March 9th, 2019, 7:46 am
Great stuff. Who else do you want on your poster?
Well, I definitely need "Bob" (the boyfriend of PJ Soles character who gets stuck against the wall by Myers). After that, the only living characters left are fairly minor, like one of the other kids that bullies Tommy Doyle, Judith's boyfriend from the beginning, and Michael's parents. So I basically only really need one guy to "complete", and a handful of other "maybe I'll get if they're at a show I'm already at and cheap" actors.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » March 9th, 2019, 2:52 pm

Great stuff, man! Love the poster and book.

MonsterMania sounds like a nightmare to deal with, though. Oof
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » March 11th, 2019, 2:43 pm

My guess is MM get a sweet deal from the Crowne Plaza, while the Crowne Plaza sees MM as a lucrative 6-8 days per year. So I would guess this symbiotic relationship won't be ending regardless of how much MM grows.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » March 11th, 2019, 3:04 pm

As people always do, somebody on the FB suggested that they move to a bigger place. Dave's response was:

"No need. We had no capacity problems at all the past 2 shows. We solved that problem."

So apparently, completely ridiculous parking options, endless lines, and shoulder-to-shoulder crowds aren't really a "problem", as long as the fire marshal isn't literally closing the doors on them, like he did last year?

And even if you don't care about the comfort and convenience of the customers, from a purely business standpoint, if he's selling out on Saturday, that literally means there are more people willing to pay for those tickets than the capacity of the Crowne Plaza will legally allow, so he would *sell more tickets* in a larger venue. The only question is, would he sell enough additional tickets to cover the presumed increase in rent. But to just blow off the entire crowding issue with a simple "problem solved" is short-sighted, to say the least.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » March 11th, 2019, 3:52 pm

They get all the meeting rooms and the tent I think for FREE because they're booking the whole place up. Dave is a tool, it's that simple. So essentially, you come to his show to be MISERABLE and have loads of stress and spend money on overpriced celebrities.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » March 11th, 2019, 4:09 pm

exactly, which is why I have two more MM shows left and then I'm done for good before it truly gets out of hand and I don't stress about this stuff, but I'm all about experience. I can control the laughs with my friends, but long lines, high prices for something very trivial is frustrating. The only thing I can do is stop going, otherwise shame on me if I still go!

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » March 11th, 2019, 4:49 pm

The following is in no way a jab at MM specifically, but the celeb m&g business in general. It is basically the only industry where the customer is always wrong. The only sector where you can treat customers like crap and still have those same customers and others return.

If at Walmart it were that difficult to park and the stores were too small, people would go to Target. But how many places can you go to get a photo op with Brittany Spears or get multiple autos on your Halloween poster? And because of this you can at the very least inconvenience customers at worst screw them over and still be fine. It's the sad state of things.

That being said, I personally have no issue with MM or the venue. I've always gotten who I tried for. I always find a place to park (even if I have to walk a little), and Dave has always been helpful to me. Just recently when I got who I needed on Friday and Fairuza didn't show, I was able to come Sunday and go to her table without paying for admission. If my main goal were "experience" like mikeyicon I would stop going. But for my goals going to MM is pretty essential so long as I live in the NE US.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » March 14th, 2019, 3:23 pm

FB update on MM that basically talks about what I said. And I quote:
CROWNE PLAZA ROOMS SOLD OUT FIR AUGUST ALREADY!