JOresky's Monster Mania 39 Report

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
Joresky

JOresky's Monster Mania 39 Report

Post by Joresky » March 12th, 2018, 3:56 pm

This past Saturday I attended the Monster Mania 39 convention in Cherry Hill, NJ. My top name for the show was actor Randy Quaid but sadly Randy cancelled his appearance last minute for reasons that sounded like BS. There were still other good names for me to meet at the con so I still went but the Randy cancellation was a huge blow. I also needed Kathleen Turner and the kids from the new It movie among others. I arrived at the con about an hour before doors opened (around 9 am) and bought my wristband no problem. In hindsight this was a very good move because a few hours later I heard tickets sold out and the crowds were so big that people got turned away and were even shut out of reentering the hotel even if they had wristbands because of the fire marshall. The crowds were much crazier this time because of the celebrities they booked for the con including the IT kids, Tim Curry (who I had already from Chiller) and Paul Reubens (who I had already from Rhode Island Comic Con). Once I got inside the con I met up with my good friend Andrew and his buddy Propane (not his real name but its an inside joke) and we met our first celebrity for the con, Ally Sheedy from The Breakfast Club. I already had a photo with Ally from a previous NY trip but she had shades on so I bought a photo op at the table with her so I could upgrade to no shades. After this we met Kathleen Turner who had a relatively small line. I got a combo from Kathleen, photo op and a signed photo of Jessica Rabbit. I've heard she is difficult on the streets so I'm happy I could get her in a guaranteed setting. Next I met the two actors/stuntmen who play the Killer Klowns from Outer Space, Mike Martinez and Harrod Blank. They were both super friendly and affordable at only $25 for combos. After this we went to meet the kids from the new movie It. The lead character of the movie was actor Jaeden Lieberher who had a huge line. We got into Sophia Lillis' line and got through it in a short amount of time. She was very cool. Next we decided to take the plunge and get into Jaeden's line. We ended up waiting in this line for over 3 hours. They all went on break and went to go do their professional photo ops. Even though it was a very long wait this turned out to be a great move because shortly after we got to meet Jaeden they capped his line for the day. Jaeden was very cool when we got up to him. He is originally from Philadelphia so this was a hometown show for him. The wait for Jaeden was excruciating but I passed the time by hanging out with Andrew and his buddy. After I met Jaeden I got in line for the last three It kids that I needed, Chosen, Jeremy and Wyatt. All three of their lines were super short at this point and they were all very friendly. It amazes me how mature child actors are these days, they almost don't even seem like kids. I've experienced this before when meeting the kids from Stranger Things at previous conventions. Some of them are better conversationists than other adults I've met. After I met the It kids I decided to get a photo upgrade (no shades this time) with actor Terry Kiser and to get a photo signed from Friday the 13th A New Blood. He is best known for his work in Weekend at Bernie's. After this I went to the Paul Reubens (Pee Wee Herman) autograph room because I was considering getting an autographed photo to go along with the photo op that I got at Rhode Island Comic Con but ultimately decided not to because it was very expensive ($80) and the late would be at least a few hours long. I would never usually even consider paying so much but Pee Wee was one of the icons in my childhood so I gave it some thought. While I was in the Pee Wee room I randomly saw Frankie Bello, the guitarist of the band Anthrax so I got a photo update with him. I've met him at a signing at NYCC in the past.. very nice guy. He wasn't a scheduled convention guest so I think he was just there to hang out. After this I went to the dealers room to hang out with my vendor buddies until the convention closed then I went to grab some dinner. My good friend Mark from Baltimore gave me a ride home since my friend who drove me up was staying for the night and I had to work the next day. Overall, I had a successful con even though the crowds were huge and the waits were kinda long for certain guests. I also had a great time hanging out with Andrew and his buddy Propane (not his real name.. inside joke) so I had some good company during my long wait in line for Jaeden. Can't wait until the next one.
photokathleenturner.jpg
Me and actress Kathleen Turner
photokathleenturner2.jpg
Me and actress Kathleen Turner
photoallysheedy.jpg
Me and actress Ally Sheedy
photojaedenlieberher.jpg
Me and actor Jaeden Lieberher
photosophialillis.jpg
Me and actress Sophia Lillis
photowyattoleff.jpg
Me and actor Wyatt Oleff
photojeremyraytaylor.jpg
Me and actor Jeremy Ray Taylor
photochosenjacobs.jpg
Me and actor Chosen Jacobs
photomikemartinez.jpg
Me and actor Mike Martinez
photoharrodblank.jpg
Me and actor Harrod Blank
phototerrykiser.jpg
Me and actor Terry Kiser
photofrankiebello.jpg
Me and guitarist Frankie Bello (of Anthrax)
autokathleenturner.jpg
Kathleen Turner signed photo
autojaedenlieberher.jpg
Jaeden Lieberher signed photo
autosophialillis.jpg
Sophia Lillis signed photo
autojeremyraytaylor.jpg
Jeremy Ray Taylor signed photo
autowyattoleff.jpg
Wyatt Oleff signed photo
autochosenjacobs.jpg
Chosen Jacobs signed photo
autoharrodblank.jpg
Harrod Blank signed photo
automikemartinez.jpg
Mike Martinez signed photo
autoterrykiser.jpg
Terry Kiser signed photo

Btvsp3
Full Fledged Mark

Re: JOresky's Monster Mania 39 Report

Post by Btvsp3 » March 12th, 2018, 4:14 pm

I definitely passed by you while you were on line for Jaeden and I was heading to Kathleen. Glad to hear you got everything you wanted from the con! I also considered Pee Wee, but $100 op not in costume was a no go. And I'd never consider $80 for an autograph unless their a real legendary actor or actress.
Follow me on Instagram: StevenLesser

Joresky

Post by Joresky » March 12th, 2018, 4:22 pm

Btvsp3 wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 4:14 pm
I definitely passed by you while you were on line for Jaeden and I was heading to Kathleen. Glad to hear you got everything you wanted from the con! I also considered Pee Wee, but $100 op not in costume was a no go. And I'd never consider $80 for an autograph unless their a real legendary actor or actress.
Pee Wee is an absolute legend in my book so there is no way I would pass up the photo (which I got back in November at Rhode Island Comic Con) but the autograph I decided to skip because of the price and long line... i'm more a photo op guy anyway than an autograph guy so this wasn't a huge loss but I would definitely enjoy a signed photo of Paul Reubens (Pee Wee) if I was able to get one and if I see him dressed up as Pee Wee at future cons I would definitely get another photo

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 13th, 2018, 1:23 pm

Nicely done

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » March 13th, 2018, 1:39 pm

I would've had IT kids sign a poster, but otherwise good photos!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Joresky

Post by Joresky » March 13th, 2018, 4:17 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
March 13th, 2018, 1:39 pm
I would've had IT kids sign a poster, but otherwise good photos!
Thanks, I preferred getting them on individual eight by tens.. posters can be cool sometimes too but then I feel a need to complete the poster and sometimes certain castmembers are hard to track down

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » March 13th, 2018, 11:33 pm

Tremendous job despite the shit show that was MM 39.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/