WOODMO's NYCC 2017 Week!!

This is the place to post reports from signing or on the street meets
Forum rules
DO NOT post the location for on the street meets. To keep the spots from being too crowded, we don't allow locations to be posted. You may only post location details about pay meets and organized free signings.
WOODMO
Site Admin

WOODMO's NYCC 2017 Week!!

Post by WOODMO » October 9th, 2017, 10:40 am

Thursday

My week began on Thursday, when I picked my friend Tony up and headed to the train. Upon arriving in Manhattan, I get a message from :greg: with a tip. I decided to go to this spot in lieu of my original plan, which may have been a slight miscalculation on my part as it resulted in lots of idle waiting, but in the end I was happy it since I largely made up for the misses as a result of this. Tony and I were joined by :lanza: and Greg momentarily at this spot.

The first name to exit that I bothered with was Adrianne Palicki from Friday Night Lights, The Orville, and Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. among other things. Adrianne was very sweet, despite her publicist doing the usual "she's gotta go" shtick they're all known for.

After this we wait for the main target, Elijah Wood, and we wait, and we wait some more, and did I mention we waited? After a very long amount of time, he exits and is completely swarmed. In hindsight, this ended up being the most difficult spot he would be at all week, so I really made a poor decision, but oh well. I managed to get him looking as he was heading for his car. Not a perfect photo, but good enough for me. I removed a photobomber, in perhaps not the most graceful way, but yet again, it's good enough.

At this point we all skedaddled. Lanza chose to go into the actual NYCC and Tony joined him, I went my own way and arrived at a spot that was totally empty. After a few minutes of waiting, I spot actor John C McGinley from Scrubs among other things. The other time I saw John, he pretty much did nothing at all and ran off. This time though, with just me waiting he gladly posed, and he said "cheers" to me after I thanked him as he walked into the spot.

A few minutes later, I spot director Kevin Smith walking towards me. Now last NYCC I actually failed on Kevin. I feel as though that isn't a distinction shared by many people. He is super duper nice and seems to always take time for fans, I just picked an unlucky time where he was genuinely late and tourists who took 30 seconds to do one selfie killed my shot. Oh well, this year would be different! Kevin was as nice as I always hear, and he gladly posed.

After this the spot was dead for a while, so I went to use a bathroom and get food. Before long, I was joined by Lanza and we bullshitted and waited. On exits, I decided to get Janet Varney from Stan Against Evil. She was sweet and happy to pose.

We continued waiting for Robert Patrick but by the time he arrived the dealers had descended and he said "on the way out" and at this point I headed into Javitz Center for my pro op with Mark Hamill since I couldn't wait any longer. I was splitting this with Tony, who hopped on line ahead of Lanza and I arriving, so we cut with him. Mark was very nice and engaging all who met him by the looks of it. He ended up doing a plethora of free photos and autos around NYC this weekend, but you pay for the guarantee and that's what I got. I don't regret it.

From here we found out we missed Keanu Reeves at one spot by 5 minutes and then headed back to Patrick, and missed him by 5 minutes. :punches: The security on this spot was annoying, especially at this point. I was walking down the sidewalk, the public sidewalk, with Lanza and Tony, attempting to get behind the rails and ask collectors I knew if Robert was still inside, when a guard puts his hands on me to stop me. I then ask him if he's planning to stop me from walking on a public sidewalk, and when he says "you can't walk here" I then tell him to go fuck himself before pushing my past him. Another guard says I can't walk there and I tell him that I'll be walking wherever I please. Then a third one says I am not getting past him, and since he didn't initiate contact with me I wasn't going to cast the first stone and touch him, so I just walked into the street around the cars and back onto the sidewalk. The security at this spot had no clue what they were doing all weekend, totally unprepared and idiotic.

At this point we head back to another spot to try for Keanu Reeves and other names. Keanu was a bust, but I did get two wants. The first being Brad Dourif who voiced Chucky in the Child's Play series. Brad was super nice.

Then, I spot actor Ricky Whittle from American Gods. I planned on paying for a pro op from Ricky, so this saved me some money. Ricky too was super nice.

I passed on many names here that I already had, like Pablo Schreiber, Jennifer Tilly, Mark Hamill (who did a few seflies) among others.

Friday

With Thursday in the books, Friday started out early again. I met :lanza: and wound up being joined by :heelorton: and the target was Tobin Bell. This spot was uglier than I expected and once Tobin blanked going in, Lanza and I made the decision to move on to another spot and cut our losses.

This next spot was for some cast members from The Man in High Castle with :snear: :SIGH1: :joresky: , a show I never watched but was always intrigued by premise wise, so I figured why not gather who I could. The rail turned into a disaster and I ended up having to scuffle with some barrio trash looking woman who got mad because I slid in next to her at the rail to get my photo with one of the main stars Rufus Sewell. She pushed me away, and I ignored and pushed passed her, and I got my photo without saying a word to her. A funny moment came before all this, as Rufus is about to exit, when Class asks "is it Rufus or Reefus?".

At this point I left this spot to meet Class and Jerry at a spot for bigger fish and bigger risk. I had a guarantee on Seth Green and Breckin Meyer where I was, but I wanted to try for John Boyega and the on the rise Scott Eastwood, son of Clint Eastwood who seems destined for big things. The entrances were a shit show from what I was told, with John doing it for a few female fans who used video, and Scott apparently did nothing. We wait, and wait, and wait some more, with all zeee :master: in tow. Finally, Scott departs and does a few but keeps saying he has to go. I get him to pose and then off her went.

We continue to wait for John, but nobody seemed to know his car, plates, nothing at all, which is problematic since there was no car waiting and this venue has many possibilities in terms of exits. While waiting, Burn Gorman pops out who was great in Turn, one of my favorite shows.

I couldn't wait for John any longer, since I had a pro op with Felicity Jones, so I head into Javitz and go split that with my friend Tony. Felicity was sweet and the photos were typical pro op, not much to write about. After this I heard John was still inside the previous spot, so I get out of the Javitz and begin sprinting towards the other spot. After around 3-4 blocks my phone is ringing, and Class informs me that his friend at the spot said it was done and John was gone. I of course turn around and return to the Javitz. At this point I just walked around with my friend and checked out the booths for a bit since I didn't get a chance to earlier.

Sunday

No, I didn't forget Saturday, I skipped it. I sold my ticket for 3x what I paid and there wasn't enough for me to chase at spots to get me to do 4 straight days. My Sunday began with meeting :crayira: who got to the spot 5 minutes before me and ended up getting Luke Evans, the main guy I went in for, who came earlier than I expected :damn:

I began jogging to get here because my other want, Rebecca Hall would soon follow and I wanted to at least get one of them. Rebecca arrived and while it was raining, still got under the scaffolding to sign for some British dealers and then take some selfies.

After a bit of waiting, more people started arriving. First I got Rob Brown and Ashley Johnson from NBC's "The Blindspot". I am behind on the show, it's not bad and it's not great, it's kind of in the middle, but I was happy to add more main cast-members since I was here. I missed one, who exited right as a throng of NYCC people walked by in costumes and the sidewalk was loaded. I passed on Sullivan Stapleton who I had a perfect photo with already.

Then I managed to get some cast members I needed from FOX's "Gotham" including Chris Chalk, Donal Logue and Cory Michael Smith who were all on a short list of key cast I never met before. I also got another photo with Erin Richards since in my pro photo she did some goofy fighting pose. I passed on David Mazouz, Robin Lord Taylor, and Sean Pertwee. Drew Powell did nothing, and a few I needed ran in and did nothing or very little.

After this, I got screwed on Bill Skarsgard because I was trying to save my front row rail spot and security let morons off the sidewalk get right up to Bill while blocking the rail, and even let people mob him in the street. This made no sense since the rail was the thing blocking us and they should have blocked fans that weren't following rules. This turned out to be a mistake since the rail spot was useless, as you will soon see. In hindsight I should have rushed into the street to get it, especially since my rail spot let me down anyway, but I didn't think security would quite so incapable.

The main name I went to this spot for, Luke Evans, from Beauty and The Beast, Dracula Untold, etc, etc, exits and begins taking care of people. For some reason he skips me, and then I push out of my spot and follow him down the side rail, all the way to the end of the line down there. Thwarted yet again though, he stops 4 short of me. As he begins walking back to the car I chase him down, going past security and I get it before he gets in. Security made a halfhearted attempt to stop me but realized they had no real say and just stood there.

After this I had to leave and catch my Lea Michele Meet and Greet, which isn't really NYCC related but I'll put it in here anyway. The meet and greet was $150 and since I liked Glee and Scream Queens, added to the fact she isn't nice typically, it was well worth it for me. Lea was super sweet and took her time talking to each and every person. The photo was uploaded last night and the quality was great.

At this point it was too late to catch any exits, and I sold my NYCC ticket for about twice what I paid and couldn't go in there, so I had no reason to do anything else. All in all I think it was a productive 3 days and I am happy with how it went. It was great seeing Greg, Lanza, Class, Orton, Jerry, Ira and all the NYC collectors I am friendly with who do not post here. Until next year!!

capman
Marked Out Pro

Re: WOODMO's NYCC 2017 Week!!

Post by capman » October 9th, 2017, 10:53 am

WOW, busy friggin weekend. That shot of you and Lea Michele looks like a prom photo. Well done!

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » October 9th, 2017, 12:35 pm

Really great results for you. Lea, Adrianne, Eastwood, Sewell shots are great. Def. you guys got screwed on Thursday morning as Robert Patrick and McGinley, et al were there for the picking while Wood took forever.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

adelta13
Marked Out Pro

Post by adelta13 » October 9th, 2017, 4:02 pm

Great Lea photo! She's hot

jabronijosh04
Marking Out Amateur

Post by jabronijosh04 » October 9th, 2017, 7:10 pm

Awesome meets

heelorton79
Marked Out Master

Post by heelorton79 » October 10th, 2017, 12:46 am

It was nice chatting with you as usual, and yes that Sunday spot was a clusterfuck when it came to the security. Sometimes you just cannot get everyone, so I would say you did very well getting most of the names you wanted here. Great Lea and Hamill photos!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » October 10th, 2017, 8:55 am

Thanks all!

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » October 13th, 2017, 2:17 am

I have two Elijah Wood ops (one shades and one annoying photobomb that can't be removed) and debating if I should pay for the RICC upgrade. But if I had your shot it wouldn't even be a debate, I'd get the upgrade at RICC.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » October 13th, 2017, 8:49 am

class316 wrote:
October 13th, 2017, 2:17 am
I have two Elijah Wood ops (one shades and one annoying photobomb that can't be removed) and debating if I should pay for the RICC upgrade. But if I had your shot it wouldn't even be a debate, I'd get the upgrade at RICC.
I won't be getting him at RICC