Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
ICW
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1918
Joined: August 5th, 2015, 9:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by ICW » March 20th, 2020, 9:02 pm

I don't think LOTR will happen in June (which sucks because they booked rare names) but I could see Big Event going on as planned, especially if the ban on crowds is lifted. Most of those wrestlers will desperately need the income.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/


User avatar
Greg2600
Moderator
Posts: 5430
Joined: November 13th, 2012, 9:00 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by Greg2600 » March 20th, 2020, 10:08 pm

https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/ ... mbers.html

This article has a small chart for the state of NJ, and it estimated the number of reported cases based on the level of social isolation, with very high being near total isolation...

Very High - Peak of 50,000 daily Active Cases in August, and a total of 600,000 cases total maxing around September.

High - Peak of 150,000 daily Active Cases in June, and a total of 1,000,000 cases total maxing around July.

Moderate - Peak of 250,000 daily Active Cases in mid-May, and a total of 1,200,000 cases total maxing in late June.

Low - Peak of 300,000 daily Active Cases in early May, and a total of 1,300,000 cases total maxing in late May.

So there's no shot we do the Very High level, maybe between Moderate and High, meaning this won't be cleared out until the end of the summer. All of those June cons, not happening. Probably the August ones too. This doesn't even take into account the fact that other states aren't doing any isolation.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

User avatar
WOODMO
Site Admin
Posts: 7668
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by WOODMO » March 20th, 2020, 11:06 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
March 20th, 2020, 10:08 pm
https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2020/03/ ... mbers.html

This article has a small chart for the state of NJ, and it estimated the number of reported cases based on the level of social isolation, with very high being near total isolation...

Very High - Peak of 50,000 daily Active Cases in August, and a total of 600,000 cases total maxing around September.

High - Peak of 150,000 daily Active Cases in June, and a total of 1,000,000 cases total maxing around July.

Moderate - Peak of 250,000 daily Active Cases in mid-May, and a total of 1,200,000 cases total maxing in late June.

Low - Peak of 300,000 daily Active Cases in early May, and a total of 1,300,000 cases total maxing in late May.

So there's no shot we do the Very High level, maybe between Moderate and High, meaning this won't be cleared out until the end of the summer. All of those June cons, not happening. Probably the August ones too. This doesn't even take into account the fact that other states aren't doing any isolation.
Yeah, I stand by no cons in 2020, even fall. I just can't see it, and at this point cons should be the last thing on anyone's priority list.

ICW
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1918
Joined: August 5th, 2015, 9:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by ICW » March 21st, 2020, 9:06 am

How has everyone's lives herr been affected? This was my second week working from home and it's been a weird adjustment. A local brewery that Jenna and I like had to layoff their entire staff because they can't afford to pay their staff.

We also down the street from Hackensack Medical, where a ton of Corona patients are. We've been pretty hunkered down but it's given me opportunity to do some other stuff like read, play more video games, deep clean our place, etc
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

User avatar
mrira
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1394
Joined: June 18th, 2008, 5:19 pm
Location: Bayside,NY

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by mrira » March 21st, 2020, 10:01 am

ICW wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:06 am
How has everyone's lives herr been affected? This was my second week working from home and it's been a weird adjustment. A local brewery that Jenna and I like had to layoff their entire staff because they can't afford to pay their staff.

We also down the street from Hackensack Medical, where a ton of Corona patients are. We've been pretty hunkered down but it's given me opportunity to do some other stuff like read, play more video games, deep clean our place, etc
I’ve barely left my house in a week & not sure what I’ll be doing as far as remote learning goes.


ICW
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1918
Joined: August 5th, 2015, 9:38 pm
Contact:

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by ICW » March 21st, 2020, 2:20 pm

mrira wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 10:01 am
ICW wrote:
March 21st, 2020, 9:06 am
How have everyone's lives here been affected? This was my second week working from home and it's been a weird adjustment. A local brewery that Jenna and I like had to layoff their entire staff because they can't afford to pay their staff.

We also down the street from Hackensack Medical, where a ton of Corona patients are. We've been pretty hunkered down but it's given me the opportunity to do some other stuff like reading, play more video games, deep clean our place, etc
I’ve barely left my house in a week & not sure what I’ll be doing as far as remote learning goes.
I feel for students and educators. Jenna is a nanny and she was telling me that she had to call in for a virtual class for the eldest (who's 5). It's challenging to keep kids that young invested in learning but she's doing a great job of it.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

lanza218
Site Admin
Posts: 4862
Joined: March 15th, 2008, 9:25 pm

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by lanza218 » March 21st, 2020, 10:16 pm

Worked from home this week. Been out each day for at least fresh air. Went to stores today.

User avatar
WOODMO
Site Admin
Posts: 7668
Joined: March 14th, 2008, 12:46 pm
Location: Long Island, New York

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by WOODMO » March 21st, 2020, 10:38 pm

There's anxiety and concern with all this, but I am actually really having a good time through it all. Getting to stay home with my gf and family, just watching TV, spring cleaning, going for walks, it's been very relaxing. I am avoiding stores, I probably won't shop again until it all passes. I get all my food and supplies delivered, there's just no need to have more exposure than necessary. As a teacher, I can't see school resuming until September, so I can't imagine I have to venture out to work, and my gf isn't working either, so we're able to isolate which is good.

User avatar
mrira
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1394
Joined: June 18th, 2008, 5:19 pm
Location: Bayside,NY

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by mrira » March 22nd, 2020, 11:21 am

The one good thing I can say is the money this has been saving me. Haven’t driven in a week, so no gas & no ez pass tolls.

User avatar
Greg2600
Moderator
Posts: 5430
Joined: November 13th, 2012, 9:00 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by Greg2600 » March 22nd, 2020, 4:30 pm

Well Mnuchin, the Treasury Secretary, said the lockdowns are likely to be 10-12 weeks long, maybe longer. That basically eliminates all the May (if any remain) and June conventions.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

User avatar
djknightrida
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1824
Joined: December 22nd, 2011, 8:39 am

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by djknightrida » March 24th, 2020, 2:56 pm

2017 Most Unique Photo Winner

:dj:

User avatar
mrira
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1394
Joined: June 18th, 2008, 5:19 pm
Location: Bayside,NY

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by mrira » March 24th, 2020, 5:55 pm

djknightrida wrote:
March 24th, 2020, 2:56 pm
Drama swirls around Ace

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-e ... ium=social
WOW, glad I got my refund.

User avatar
mrira
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1394
Joined: June 18th, 2008, 5:19 pm
Location: Bayside,NY

Re: New York Comic Con- October 8-11, 2020- New York, NY

Post by mrira » March 24th, 2020, 5:59 pm

Got my e-mail to sign up for an Industry Pass today. Who knows if the event will happen, but at least it gives me something fun to look forward too.

User avatar
oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1243
Joined: March 21st, 2008, 11:21 am

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by oldschoolwwwf » March 24th, 2020, 11:52 pm

I think comic con will roll on as scheduled but I would be surprised if any major league celebs are letting you get close to them. I can this being more merch oriented then star oriented.

User avatar
Gumby
Marked Out Pro
Posts: 488
Joined: January 9th, 2016, 9:11 pm

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by Gumby » March 25th, 2020, 12:41 am

If you mean San Diego Comic Con, I doubt it. Every other show has been either postponed or cancelled outright, and the entire comic book industry has essentially shut down.


Post Reply