SopranosCon - Made Man or Fugettaboutit?

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
WOODMO
Site Admin

SopranosCon - Made Man or Fugettaboutit?

Post by WOODMO » November 24th, 2019, 4:45 pm

I only went yesterday, so Greg will have to report on today, but here it is!

viewtopic.php?f=7&p=281538#p281538

sunsetgraphs
Learning To Mark Out

Re: SopranosCon- November 23-24, 2019- Secaucus, NJ

Post by sunsetgraphs » November 24th, 2019, 5:23 pm

WOODMO wrote:
November 24th, 2019, 4:45 pm
I only went yesterday, so Greg will have to report on today, but here it is!

viewtopic.php?f=7&p=281538#p281538
Looks like you did well. You definitely have more patience than me. My main need was Sirico and when he wasn't there I pretty much decided to get what I could and get out quick. I just realized I didn't take any table ops either. I'm sure Imperioli will be around for you. I got him in White Plains and took the photo with him at the Westbury Music Fair Meet and Greet.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » November 25th, 2019, 11:20 am

SopranosCon Fans,

Good morning. We want to first thank everyone that attended the first SopranosCon. This event was epic for sure. We have gotten news all over the world and fans from all over the globe came to share in their passion. We all got to meet people with a similar passion - The Sopranos. NEVER in history has 55 cast members come together in one building. Remember, this was put on by 3 fans who RISKED IT ALL to put this together.

NOTHING in life is perfect. Things go wrong and things sometimes are out of our control. It doesn't matter how much you plan, how hard you work or what your intentions are, some things can still go wrong. Walt Disney World opened it's doors and they had major things to work on. It wasn't perfect. Even all these years later, they are not perfect. But they have now become one of the top brands in the world.

What do we know?

We know that 3 fans had the BALLS to do something NOBODY else has done.

We know they put up their own money and risked it to do something BIG - something DIFFERENT - something SPECIAL.

We know that they had great intentions when they started and that this event took a life of its own.

We know that people traveled all over the world to come together for one weekend and shared this room with over 55 cast members after 20 years from its start.

We also know that the event wasn't perfect. We are NOT delusional to think it was seamless. We know we have things to work on and trust me, we are back at it this morning and analyzing everything as whole.

We read the comments, the emails and the posts. We understand some people were frustrated that they might have thought they could have received 55 autographs, talked to every cast member, eat gourmet food and have an experience they may have envisioned.

The reality is its IMPOSSIBLE to have met everyone, its IMPOSSIBLE to talk to every cast member and it was IMPOSSIBLE to have a sit down dinner. However, we did our best to provide ONLY VIP'S with a special edition poster that allowed them to get autographs throughout the day which was a bonus because it wasn't part of any package that was purchased. We did this to help with lines. However, looking back we might have done it different. We shouldn't have tried to give more and stayed focus on what people actually purchased. Again, this took a life of its own and we couldn't have envisioned when designing the packages 9 months ago, that the MAJORITY would have purchased the VIP packages.

We also know that the VIP hour on Saturday was morphed into something we didn't plan for and SOME people didn't enjoy the experience.

In life, I personally have learned you can't make everyone happy. Especially at this time in history, it is harder and harder to do so.

We had 55 cast members, people wanted 56.

People waited in line and weren't happy when an 80 year old man felt sick and couldn't sign anymore that day.

We gave people extra opportunity to get autographs during the day, people wanted both during the day and night.

One cast member has a sick child and flew across the country to make it on a different day and stayed until the last person got a signature.

We had a once in a lifetime concert experience with Alabama 3 ... Uncle Jr ... and all the cast dancing on stage for VIP's ... people said they didn't get anything more than the GA, even thought GA didn't get them into the experience of a lifetime.

We spent EVERY PENNY - let me say that again - EVERY PENNY into the decor, the cast, the band, the sound etc. People wanted more.

We gave everyone free wi-fi, free parking, upgraded their tickets to be something they can keep and cherish as a souvenir. We didn't get a DJ, we hired a production company, we didn't do one mural - we did several ... we didn't show a photo of Dr. Melfi's office, we built it. We didn't show you a photo of outfits and vehicles from the show, we paid to have them there in person. We spent EVERY PENNY for the experience.

Some people are delusional to think that we made money on this event. The fact of the matter is we could have had 5-6 cast members, played Alabama 3 on a cd though the loud speaker, just focused on autographs and made lots of profit because we had 10,000 people. That is false. That wouldn't be SopranosCon.

The Gandolfini family was in attendance and his 6 year old daughter took photos in front of a 30 foot wall with his image on it. That is something we will never forget.

The bottom line ... we all did something exceptional. We all came together to be a part of history. The MAJORITY enjoyed themselves. We certainly learned a LOT. We apologize to those that weren't 100% happy. We are humbled by all the support we have received. We will make changes and continue to bring you epic events that we are passionate about.

But bottom line ... we live by our motto - DONT STOP!

Michael, Joe and Dan

sunsetgraphs
Learning To Mark Out

Post by sunsetgraphs » November 25th, 2019, 11:25 am

Hidden message "Please don't dispute your credit cards"

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » November 25th, 2019, 11:53 am

This part is wild:

Some people are delusional to think that we made money on this event. The fact of the matter is we could have had 5-6 cast members, played Alabama 3 on a cd though the loud speaker, just focused on autographs and made lots of profit because we had 10,000 people. That is false. That wouldn't be SopranosCon.

It’s basically saying you’re insane if you think we have business sense and had a profitable model in place.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » November 25th, 2019, 12:31 pm

The people from the con who wrote that could benefit from some self-awareness and basic public relations. The general idea they're trying to present, that you can't please everybody, and some of the complaints are for things out of their hands, is valid, but the way they put it in writing comes off as condescending, making excuses, and generally putting the blame on the "complainers" rather than take personal responsibility.

For example, when explaining why a guest (I'm assuming Tony Sirico) left early, they say "People waited in line and weren't happy when an 80 year old man felt sick and couldn't sign anymore that day." First of all, most people likely didn't know the reason he left - all they know is that they waited in line for a long period of time for one of the top cast members present, and then were told he wasn't there. That's a valid complaint, regardless of the reason for him leaving. A better way would have been to say something to the effect of "Unfortunately, Tony Sirico had to leave the convention early due to illness. We understand your frustration, and apologize for it, but the situation was out of our hands"

That way, you aren't painting your paying customers as being uncaring jerks.

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » November 25th, 2019, 12:41 pm

They are so gracious for providing free wifi.. I never want to see new attempts at these types of events fail but these idiots deserve to lose all the money.. seems like they didn't put a limit on the VIPs and misled people as to what's included.

Greg2600

Re: SopranosCon - Made Man or Fugettaboutit?

Post by Greg2600 » November 25th, 2019, 1:28 pm

First of all, why is anyone surprised if Sopranos fans who start a convention display some attitude? Clearly you don't know Jerzee. Secondly, I did speak to many of the lesser known guests, and they complained it was unorganized (duhh) but most seemed incredibly grateful just to reconnect with co-stars they haven't seen in 10-15 years. The headliners like Chianese, Pastore, de Matteo, Furio, etc, all had massive lines. They had to make 10x what they normally would at a con. For the rest, well, most live in the area, so it was a mere weekend drive, hanging out, etc. In fact, Drea posted a lot of IG stories with her daughters checking out the phony sets and artwork, and she was really emotional. I myself thought the Pine Barrens "mini-recreation" was hilarious and quite cool. We literally did get lost in the maze, ha ha!

VIP's had to wait until later in the day in order to get their stuff signed for free, as part of the package. That's probably the dumbest thing and made no sense, but I assume not every actor had agreed to that. Tony Sirico left after 1 hour on Saturday. I heard every rumor from he didn't get paid to he's terminally ill. I didn't see the point of the 4-figure VIP's however the organizers publicly said those levels are basically to support the con and make it happen. This was in lieu of a kickstarter campaign (LOL).

The ziti situation was too confusing, and while I understood why they did it, the main issue was that they NEVER released the prices to the public, so you could not gauge how many you needed.

There was a guy in a Bears jersey ahead of me in the Drea line, who did nothing but complain about who they didn't book. How could they not get this one, that one. How do you NOT get Buscemi!?! Say what? You can't get him to a con. A few like Imperioli or Pantaliano were missing, but likely busy. The rest don't do cons, ever.

Here's a local article. The crowd count (10,000) was laughable, and maybe Dana/Lucas disagrees but I doubt they had more than a couple thousand on Saturday. There were 1/4 of that on Sunday. I see no way they made a profit. The artwork, which was really nicely done, and very interesting, as well as some of the set work, and the space, was not cheap.

http://newjersey.news12.com/story/41367 ... e3H8-jTIYA

PS: They have been trying to buy the "Sopranos" house in North Caldwell, NJ, and turn it into an Air BNB/Museum. The house/airBNB is actually a cool idea, like the one they did for Christmas Story in Ohio. However, a high priced town North Caldwell would NEVER allow a tourist trap in the middle of a residential neighborhood!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: SopranosCon - Made Man or Hit Job?

Post by WOODMO » November 25th, 2019, 1:28 pm

Another crazy quote.

We gave everyone free wi-fi, free parking, upgraded their tickets to be something they can keep and cherish as a souvenir.

Isn't parking always free there? And who is "cherishing" the ticket?

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » November 25th, 2019, 9:01 pm

These guys are running Mafia con April2020 AC.......

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » November 25th, 2019, 9:20 pm

Oh yeah, I heard about a Mafia Con while I was there. Yikes!

Yes, the parking there is always free!
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » November 27th, 2019, 9:45 am

Famiglia!

We want to thank you again for coming out to celebrate with us this past weekend. We made history, global news and penetrated pop culture. Many celebrities and social figures were in attendance, in addition to many members of the Gandolfini family who gave us their blessing on our vision (WOW). We are humbled that over 10,000 people came out on Saturday alone and are extremely grateful for every fan we have. Thank you again for supporting us on our first effort.

While the overwhelming feedback we've received has been astronomically positive, like any event, there are always ways to improve. We love our fans and hope that after this weekend that is fully evident. That being said, we fully understand your frustrations and apologize if you did not receive the experience you expected.

We are committed to our fans. Without you this is not possible! If you feel like you did not receive the experience you were expecting, please email us directly at DanSopranosCon@gmail.com and we will schedule a 1-on-1 phone call.

Thank you again for your support. We hope to see you all again very soon!

-Management