WWE pulls Kurt Angle from Wrestlecade because it "associates" with AEW

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
ICW
Marked Out Master

WWE pulls Kurt Angle from Wrestlecade because it "associates" with AEW

Post by ICW » May 3rd, 2019, 12:08 pm

Cageside Seats has a story about WWE pulling Kurt Angle from the Wrestlecade convention. Here's comments from the co-owner Brian Hawks:
“In our 8 year history, the announcement of Angles appearance was one of our most popular. We were obviously excited and so were the fans. Then out of the blue, we received an email saying that Kurt had to cancel his WrestleCade Weekend appearance because WWE told him it competes directly with them. While I had read that WWE had pulled both Angle and The Undertaker from the Starrcast 2 event being held in Las Vegas May 23-26, I was still shocked. An agreement was in place with Kurt, the requested deposit was paid and the marketing blitz was in full swing. Now the fans are being penalized and it’s heartbreaking.”
https://www.cagesideseats.com/wwe/2019/ ... e-aew-ties
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

mrira
Marked Out Master

Re: WWE pulls Kurt Angle from Wrestlecade because it "associates" with AEW

Post by mrira » May 3rd, 2019, 6:02 pm

Vince must consider any promotion with a decent fan base & not in a working relationship with him as competition.
Last edited by mrira on May 3rd, 2019, 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Post by Jason1980s » May 3rd, 2019, 6:44 pm

I don't know why any convention promoter would want to try and work with a WWE talent. There's a better chance than not that WWE will pull this stunt. Even if the wrestler wanted to keep their commitment, WWE's stranglehold over wrestling is so strong that the 40-50 year old wrestler dare not take a chance to offend their employer. I personally can't wait for the possible day that some promoter wipes out Vince McMahon and WWE and maybe Triple H will try and marry into Tony Kahn's family.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » May 3rd, 2019, 6:57 pm

Dude, the Smackdown/Fox deal *alone* was for a billion dollars - so for the next four years, if the company sells zero tickets, zero merch, has zero Network subs, got zero dollars off of their Raw TV deal, etc, they'd still have $250 million coming in. And obviously, they're not zeroing out on any of those other revenue streams.

Point is, Vince is NEVER going away, unless he gets bored and retires from the business, or eventually passes away. Because even if another wrestling company passed by WWE and bumped them to #2, which isn't likely, Vince still has way too much revenue coming in to ever be "wiped out" by anybody, for any reason. He has FU money piled on top of FU money.

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Post by Jason1980s » May 3rd, 2019, 7:27 pm

They came pretty close to out of business a few times in the 1990s and most non-wrestling related ventures have failed. They have a second XFL venture planned and the first one failed, so you just never know. I grew up on WWF, love the 80s, 90s and early 2000s but learning of some of the horrible things WWF has done or some of the things they've allowed to happened under their business model, has disgusted me. Maybe it won't be Vince wiped out but I don't believe WWE will forever.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » May 3rd, 2019, 7:38 pm

I've said it before Vince and Triple H don't want another WCW to emerge, despite all the riches that AJLe pointed out. And their behavior towards AEW proves it. Vince is the 600th richest person in the world. And that is no joke in itself when there are only less than 600 people on Earth with more money than you. But Khan is the 200th richest person on Earth. Hence the concern.

And let's face it no matter what happens WWE is synonymous with wrestling. Anyone who is a wrestling fan today is a fan because of WWE. And anyone who goes into the business today did it because they watched WWE. No one will ever be able to truly dethrone it. Best anyone can ever hope for is to go head to head and survive.

That being said, I do wonder if after Vince's death will Triple H and Stephanie (and I suppose Shane) be able to maintain the grip.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » May 3rd, 2019, 8:24 pm

Jason1980s wrote:
May 3rd, 2019, 7:27 pm
They came pretty close to out of business a few times in the 1990s and most non-wrestling related ventures have failed. They have a second XFL venture planned and the first one failed, so you just never know. I grew up on WWF, love the 80s, 90s and early 2000s but learning of some of the horrible things WWF has done or some of the things they've allowed to happened under their business model, has disgusted me. Maybe it won't be Vince wiped out but I don't believe WWE will forever.
In the 90s, they didn't have a TV rights deal that was 10 figures, didn't have Saudis throwing insane money at them, didn't have the Network revenue, etc, etc. Vince can certainly fail creatively, in public perception, at the box office, etc, but there's too much money involved to ever wipe him out of business against his will now. He doesn't have a corporate parent to pull the plug on him like WCW did, it's his own money, and he has enough of it to last as long as he wants it to.

To put things in perspective, WCW was estimated to have been losing $60 million in 2000, and the XFL was estimated to have been $70 million in the hole when they closed. Just one year of the Smackdown deal with Fox by itself would cover WCW and the XFL's losses COMBINED... and still have more than a hundred million dollars left over.