Monster Mania 39 Mess: "The Altamont of Horror Conventions"

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Re: Monster Mania 39 Mess: "The Altamont of Horror Conventions"

Post by mikeyicon » March 12th, 2018, 10:57 am

sucks for 16times who is a Chiller traditionalist like me who tried this first MM show and unfortunately got a bad taste. Look forward to reading your report if you plan on writing one.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » March 12th, 2018, 11:44 am

mikeyicon wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 10:55 am
I got 2-5 MM shows left until I move on to the next thing. If they go back to what they were (doubtful), I'll go. If they become like comic cons or they have the same kind of big name list and stay at the hotel or become a big convention center show, than I got 0 MM shows left. Having Chandler Riggs and robert england NOW as these shows become more well-known, I don;'t ever go on Saturdays, but might think twice about even going on Friday.

Same with Chiller, this upcoming show is my 20th in a row. It's right down the street for me. I like the old-school feel, and would rather have 70's/80's has-beens but important to my childhood memories or niche actors as opposed to Walking Dead, Stranger Things, IT, or A listers. Should Chiller become like what MM became on Saturday, instead of hitting 25 shows and calling it, I'll be done with this as well. But wow, Vinnie Vincent,as a KISS fan, I'm excited and assume so are the thousands of other KISS fans. :)

To a lot of the people on here, no need to debate, MORE is MORE, I get it. For me, less is definitely more. This stuff was fun in the 90s' and 00's when it was niche. It's becoming a racket and too mainstream for me. To each his own, I'm just going to pursue other interests, I'm becoming content with the experiences I'd had. If I'm still doing this in 6 years, then I'm a blow-hard hypocrite. :)

Again, thanks to all for sharing your stories and photos to make me glad that although I enjoy them, so glad I didn't spend the time and money on this anymore. :)
Chiller clearly has no interest in expanding or booking guests that will overdraw and cause them headaches. Had they known what draw Reedus would have, they never would have had him. As for MM, besides the IT kids, all of their guests have appeared at MM or similar cons before. I think Btvsp3 and AJLe's reports pretty much summed up the issues. They should never have given Pee-Wee/Elvira that room that they use for Q&A's. The tent the hotel put up was disallowed by the fire marshal. If I were Hagan, I would put pro ops in the Q&A room, and when they are done, then have your Q&A's. Too bad if you can't do them all day. That frees up the 2nd floor for possible big names with long lines. In any case, I'm not ruling out future MM's for myself. However, they plain way over did it this time. Just too many bookings. None of these names are headliners at major cons really, most are now Virgil. However, for a hotel in South Jersey, just too much. I hear overthetop's worry, but again, are these names worth the disaster? No! If Hagan books big draws with Englund already there for August, I predict another mess.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » March 12th, 2018, 12:22 pm

the Reedus Chiller show for me was fantastic. As that line was insane and out of control, the rest of the show was D-E-A-D! Got to have great convos with the guests like Howard Hesseman, Loni Anderson, David Faustino, got to make out with Kari Wuhrer, it was one of the best Chiller experiences I had. :) Remember the first time Reedus was there, it was not bad at all which is why they figured they could bring him again causing a shit show. I had no interest in meeting Reedus, and definitely not for waiting in a two hour line. Nobody is worth waiting for that long in my opinion.

From what I saw on Friday at MM, you got the non-typical fans kind of like what happened with Reedus and Walking Dead fans at chiller with the IT kids. I was mesmerized by these swooning 13-16 year old girls, you would have thought it was the Beatles in the 60's. Then you got the usual horror crowd plus more for the Jasons, Elvira, and of course John Carpenter. then you add in huge retro names like Pee Wee Herman, Richard Dreyfuss, Sean Astin, and Tim Curry (for those who missed him at chiller) and it was to be expected. Because of this, worked to my benefit as I was able to get Ally Sheedy, Joey Pants and Kathleen Turner with very little wait as I don't do big lines even on Friday. And yes the set-up made very little sense.

Only assuming this show will stay at least for the next one at Crowne Plaza and for the 1,000 people who "claim" they are done, they''ll continue to get the loyalists and new fans and it's much more profitable for them to keep it here instead of a convention center. If it's Robert England, Chandler Riggs, Andrew McCarthy and a bunch of 80's actors and small horror stars from an Elm Street movie, I think it'll be fine. If they continue with Walking Dead big names like Negan (it's that's possible and he doesn't have an exclusive deal with Walker STalker), Stranger things, Riverdale, Stallone (doubtful, but who know!) and imagine they got Paul Rudd to be able to come, it's going to be another shit show and no interest. If I'm not having fun, why bother?

paphotoguy

Post by paphotoguy » March 12th, 2018, 12:34 pm

mikeyicon wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 10:55 am

To a lot of the people on here, no need to debate, MORE is MORE, I get it. For me, less is definitely more. This stuff was fun in the 90s' and 00's when it was niche. It's becoming a racket and too mainstream for me.
I'm with you, Mikey. I go these shows to meet people I loved/admired growing up. I don't do it to post selfies online or be instagram famous. I couldn't care less about that aspect. Horror is my thing. I loved it way before it was cool and when anyone who loved horror was creepy. I hate that it became so mainstream. I'll be glad when I can be considered a weirdo again. ;)
Author, Photographer, Wandering Spirit
My first book, Travelogue of Horror is for sale worldwide and my second book will be released this fall.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » March 12th, 2018, 12:51 pm

paphotoguy, awesome! Good to know some people haven't forgotten what these things should be about. unfortunately, the internet, tech, instagram, social media has turned this into a circus and diluted the experience. assuming you are from my generation and don't want to generalize, but us gen xers look at things differently. the younger guys (many on this site) are more than happy with impersonal photos, pokemon collecting just because somebody is famous, and aren't seeing the big picture. I hope chiller just keeps doing what they are doing with retro guests, of course I can do without pro photos but I understand it's value to some people. That dude at MM who got the Jason pro photo, I thought it was great and that has unique feel to it, and could he get that at a table, probably not, but maybe.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » March 12th, 2018, 1:09 pm

The FB comments are a fun read if you need to kill time - I'd advise checking some of these "constructive criticisms" out before they magically disappear...
MMania2.jpg

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » March 12th, 2018, 1:09 pm

MMania3.jpg
Last edited by AJLe on March 12th, 2018, 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » March 12th, 2018, 1:20 pm

Well, I too wouldn't mind having 5 mins to talk to the guests. Frankly, when they are reciprocal I normally do, but a lot of these actors just aren't very interesting to talk to. In any event, if you can't get in the door due to overcrowding, that's a big problem.

AJ: I'm sure the comments are hilarious! "Fat Pig!"
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » March 12th, 2018, 1:24 pm

I don't really wanna chat with anyone. Nice to met ya, big fan, sign my stuff, take a pic, thank ya.

I don't need any conversations at conventions. Time is money.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » March 12th, 2018, 1:33 pm

Agreed with ICW. If any celeb knows me by face I might stop by and say hello but otherwise could care less to have a conversation. I go to the table, say hello, shaken hands, get what I paid, thank you and bye bye.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 12th, 2018, 1:36 pm

ICW wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 1:24 pm
I don't really wanna chat with anyone. Nice to met ya, big fan, sign my stuff, take a pic, thank ya.

I don't need any conversations at conventions. Time is money.
:like:

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » March 12th, 2018, 3:24 pm

i always thought this was a social experience but what do I know. Are these celebrities people/human beings or are they circus animals? :) Anyway....

If you just want a quick photo and autograph and it makes you happy, godspeed.

If you are able to get a better experience like a conversation (genuine or BS), shared memories, a drink, or more, godspeed.

If you are introverted, cool.

if you are extroverted, even cooler.

BTW, ICW, regardless, I enjoy your wrestling reports, cool to see some of these old-school guys like Outback Jack, Brian Adidas. and the fact you can bring your girl and she enjoys it is bonus. :) Keep on going and writing about them, I'll keep on reading. :)

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » March 12th, 2018, 3:37 pm

mikeyicon wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 3:24 pm
i always thought this was a social experience but what do I know. Are these celebrities people/human beings or are they circus animals? :) Anyway....

If you just want a quick photo and autograph and it makes you happy, godspeed.

If you are able to get a better experience like a conversation (genuine or BS), shared memories, a drink, or more, godspeed.

If you are introverted, cool.

if you are extroverted, even cooler.

BTW, ICW, regardless, I enjoy your wrestling reports, cool to see some of these old-school guys like Outback Jack, Brian Adidas. and the fact you can bring your girl and she enjoys it is bonus. :) Keep on going and writing about them, I'll keep on reading. :)
Thanks, man! I appreciate the kind words.

This hobby is what you make it, I think. I've gotten to the point where I enjoy seeing the people on this board and other acquaintances -- or acquaintances who have become legitimate friends ! - just as much as I enjoy meeting wrestlers. I continue to go because I (mostly) enjoy the experience and I just love getting stuff signed.

I don't mind conversing with a guest (or anyone) if I have time. If I'm strapped for time and need to bangout pre-orders, I try to get it done as fast as possible.

I totally understand wanting to connect with the celebrity you meet.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » March 12th, 2018, 4:11 pm

you're a good dude, ICW. I used to go to those wrestling cons back in the late 90's/early 00's and they were a lot of fun. I empathize and sympathize. I know you just like the photo and autograph,and that's cool. I live through your wallet and time on here. :)

I still have good memories from those days of having a 30 minute conversation with Chris Candido about his career and his wife's future career (RIP!), and Kevin Von Erich about being the only living brother and legitimately convo for a few minutes (the photo was the bonus!), or Bill Apter and how much his Apter mags meant to me as a kid (of course, free photo), or Ricky Steamboat discussing how particular Macho was about his wrestlemania 3 match long before wrestling podcasts and such. I do agree with internet and more information lessens the need to ask questions of which you already know the answer to but it was a little different back then.

Times change, interests change, good or bad. As you said, doing this is what you make of it. Peace!

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » March 12th, 2018, 4:45 pm

mikeyicon wrote:
March 12th, 2018, 4:11 pm
you're a good dude, ICW. I used to go to those wrestling cons back in the late 90's/early 00's and they were a lot of fun. I empathize and sympathize. I know you just like the photo and autograph,and that's cool. I live through your wallet and time on here. :)

I still have good memories from those days of having a 30 minute conversation with Chris Candido about his career and his wife's future career (RIP!), and Kevin Von Erich about being the only living brother and legitimately convo for a few minutes (the photo was the bonus!), or Bill Apter and how much his Apter mags meant to me as a kid (of course, free photo), or Ricky Steamboat discussing how particular Macho was about his wrestlemania 3 match long before wrestling podcasts and such. I do agree with internet and more information lessens the need to ask questions of which you already know the answer to but it was a little different back then.

Times change, interests change, good or bad. As you said, doing this is what you make of it. Peace!
Thanks, man, I really appreciate the sentiment.