Would you want a significant other into meeting celebs?

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Would you want a significant other into meeting celebs?

Post by mikeyicon » December 21st, 2016, 11:00 am

Greg,

dude amazing photos over the past few days including Myers, Fraser, and such. How do you have all of this time and money to be able to keep doing this. Every time I blink, there is another amazing experience you have with some great names, but is there an end game? Hey man, you are kicking ass and as long as these experiences are bringing you personal reward and happiness, keep doing it! I'm a fan.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Re: 24 Hrs in Wayne's World with Bubba and a Baldwin

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 11:19 am

mikeyicon wrote:Greg,

dude amazing photos over the past few days including Myers, Fraser, and such. How do you have all of this time and money to be able to keep doing this. Every time I blink, there is another amazing experience you have with some great names, but is there an end game? Hey man, you are kicking ass and as long as these experiences are bringing you personal reward and happiness, keep doing it! I'm a fan.
Mikey, i've asked him this numerous times! I don't think he sleeps anymore! I know he's pressed to make up for lost time! :lol:

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 21st, 2016, 11:21 am

as long it doesn't overtake your health and well being and priorities, go for it. Although from reading and seeing you in action as well, it seems to be way more work than neccessary. I just hope that Greg actually does something cool with these photos and autographs.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 11:27 am

Sooner or later, he's gonna get pretty burned out trying to cram so much in such a short time frame! hell, he's been sick a few times in the past month or so, running all over the damn city hustling these celebs!

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » December 21st, 2016, 11:28 am

Um.. pretty sure Greg's health is fine.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 11:35 am

i'm sure Steve and Jeremiah said the same thing once! I think it's starting to take a toll on them! LOL

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 21st, 2016, 11:45 am

i truly wish to be a fly on the wall when the lightbulb goes off and they exclaim why they spent so much time and energy and stress doing this to the extreme levels. I think it's great if it brings eternal happiness, but from what I read, in the reports, it seems like a big pain in the ass and more disappointment than reward. Yet, I'm grateful to these guys as they provide very interesting things to read with their experiences and provide much entertainment and make me reflect why i do the same things but at a MUCH smaller and cost-effective/value level.

I reflect on my baseball card collection from 1985-1996 that now collects dust in my mom's attic and wonder if I probably should have spent more time focusing energy on other things. They do provide good nostalgic moments and reminders of the past, otherwise they are overproduced cardboard relics of a time when sports actually meant something to me. Again, that's just my two cents.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2016, 12:10 pm

Well I'm single with no kids, so I have free time, and my expenses aren't insane. I'm not really a big vacationer. I make a decent living, having devoted many years to school and career rather than trawling the streets for combos. In terms of an end game, well I don't care about current wrestlers (or MMA) or just about anybody in sports anymore, so that's a big swatch of celebs right there I don't need. I find most new movies to be uninspiring, so I'm not as into chasing for them. However, I do enjoy quite a few TV/Streaming series so I do need quite a large number of them. In terms of music, I am completely indifferent to what's been produced for the last 20 years, and the old timers are (for the most part) pretty nasty with fans. I do have a number of big wants though, but in terms spending, that will be curtailed, simply do to what I expect to be a lack of names I need at various cons. Star Wars Celeb obviously will cost some dough to travel, but I'm looking forward to going to the new Disney park. Personally I'd like to devote more time back to my video game collection.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » December 21st, 2016, 1:52 pm

Greg2600 wrote:Well I'm single with no kids, so I have free time, and my expenses aren't insane. I'm not really a big vacationer. I make a decent living, having devoted many years to school and career rather than trawling the streets for combos. In terms of an end game, well I don't care about current wrestlers (or MMA) or just about anybody in sports anymore, so that's a big swatch of celebs right there I don't need. I find most new movies to be uninspiring, so I'm not as into chasing for them. However, I do enjoy quite a few TV/Streaming series so I do need quite a large number of them. In terms of music, I am completely indifferent to what's been produced for the last 20 years, and the old timers are (for the most part) pretty nasty with fans. I do have a number of big wants though, but in terms spending, that will be curtailed, simply do to what I expect to be a lack of names I need at various cons. Star Wars Celeb obviously will cost some dough to travel, but I'm looking forward to going to the new Disney park. Personally I'd like to devote more time back to my video game collection.
the biggest equation we all need to realize is the fact that Greg, along with some of the MO members that post here are basically from NJ/NYC area, therefore, there's less travel time involved for them as opposed to say Steve and Jeremiah coming from Virginia and Baltimore. If i was living within an hour of New York, i'd probably be roaming the streets of NYC every day after work chasing down every lead as well! Luckily i don't or i'd be doing the very same thing Greg is doing now and end up going nuts! LOL
But then when i see the names that Greg, Woodmo, Heelorton or whomever posts on here, i'm like "aw man, wish i was there!"

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2016, 2:11 pm

Also, I rarely go in on the weekend, usually weekends are for "con season." I also attend rock concerts, although it's mainly one and done for bands. I've given up very good opportunities for big names to hang out with friends, play softball/basketball, ride my bike, etc. Some that would have had Class hyperventilating....

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 21st, 2016, 2:51 pm

I'm pretty close to NYC as well, but it's still time and money for train, PATH, parking, subway, cabs, food etc each time. For the MD guys, it's even crazier and reading about sleeping in cars to do this is definitely unique and hilarious.

If you are able to find a girl to do this with you, than it would be amazing and you can share in the experiences. I've seen some girls who do this from some other sites who are kind of cute. but photos only tell one story and a niche hobby like this I can't imagine is something that Any girl would want to try besides perhaps their #1 celeb crush. But there has to be some, right? Although if you are showing more attention to these autographs/photos than them, well you know what other issues you would be having!

I'll personally continue to do the photo thing based on value and experiences on a case by case basis, but knowing my wife has absolutely no interest as to most of my friends who think the photos are cool but don't care that much to wait around or go to a chiller show or bookends book signing. It's definitely a cool thing to collect and I do enjoy and understand the rush when somebody scores a great experience with somebody whose work had a big influence on them. Oddly, my kids think it's cool but that might be due to my amazing parenting skills. :)

I imagine that if I had more time, money, and no family and kids, I probably would do what Greg does in sense of going to events and panels with the increased opportunity to get the photo, more so the ones that are through resources and free. I think it's cool. Kind of like tattoos, I have no interest getting them, but I'm fascinated when I see others do something creative. Not condoning, but paying big $$ for a quick 5 second photo isn't my thing, although I am always happy to participate if somebody else is fronting.

The hotels and "spot" waiting is something that I give you kudos for, I personally have no patience to wait around for something that might not even be guaranteed. Thanks to the internet, I'll live vicariously through guys like you, and Heelorton who do it the way I would (well except the airports and stuff, but again that's just me! and I get it!)

Expecting more big experiences from you in 2017!

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » December 21st, 2016, 3:09 pm

I would not be with a girlfriend at these spots, I feel like that's forcing something largely boring on someone else. Waiting after a play or concert you attend is another thing. It's like when I hit conventions or the race tracks. I largely prefer to be alone because I can run all over the place unencumbered.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 21st, 2016, 3:15 pm

Yeah, finding a girl into this hobby is my number one fear and something I may actually break up with someone over!!! I wouldn't want to drag a woman to these spots, nor would I want to look out for her needs of getting the op before my own!! And lastly, I think having time away from someone you're seeing is immensely important, so I would always keep my combo hunting along with nights out with friends totally separate.

I brought one woman, one time, because she LOVED Orlando Bloom and wanted to meet him at his play years back. It turned out she was pretty good about it, and actually spotted a name I wasn't expecting to see, but the day was still largely tame. I took her to a film set in Central Park and just hung out watching that, where I got her a photo with an actor. Then we did Bloom, before grabbing dinner in a pub, which is something I seldom do when I'm out alone or with combo friends. I don't think she could handle a full day of this shit. Other girls have asked me if they could ever come and I just ignore them and say "one day".

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 21st, 2016, 3:17 pm

As for Greg, he's fine. I couldn't keep up the pace he does, but more power to him. He is largely making up for lost time and looking to scale back once his names dry up, and as he said, he certainly has less current wants than many do. Also I can speak on the amount of things the guy does away from this, I don't know anyone in as many sports leagues as him. He just has no off switch with all aspects of life!!!

I on the other hand keep up the slow and steady clip with many wants constantly adding from new shows I watch, so I see my current light schedule going on for decades.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » December 21st, 2016, 3:34 pm

hey man, as long as Greg is happy and enjoys, I will never fault anybody for actually doing stuff that makes them happy! You only live once, and if you have no "baggage" and can afford to do things, all power to you!!! Do it to please yourself first, I'm just fascinated by him and curious he is able to do it.

I left the group but was briefly on the FB photos with group, I can only judge from non-social media and photos, but there were a few cute chicks who seems to celeb hunt on a constant basis. I know opposites attract, but it would be kind of neat if you could have a partner in this.? I actually have a "celeb-hunt" wife who goes to stuff with me as she enjoys it as her husband could care less, and my wife could care even double less!! It's a pure friendship thing although it does work at times to get addl. free photos.

My wife did want to get in the photo with Peter Cetera that Greg was ever so kind to take for me after his show, so maybe there is hope. :)