How far is too far in this hobby?

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Re: Our Quest for the Great and Powerful Oz!

Post by AsianDave » August 26th, 2016, 11:17 am

Greg2600 wrote: If I lived near less congested AP's like Pittsburgh, DC, Philly, Balty-more, Austin, etc., I might do it more. The ones here stink.
you apparently don't know Philly AP as well as you think you do! it's horrible there dude! and it's pretty massive!
WOODMO wrote:Yeah, airports here suck. 3 options, crowded, I have no objection to going but it's normally more trouble than it's worth.
Ditto! I hate doing AP’s, even at rinky dinky ones out in the mid-west (Louisville/Cincy/Kentucky) and to some extent, even Pittsburgh. At times it’s worth the efforts, if there’s a group of convention celebs arriving/departing which makes with worthwhile. But there are times when it’s a total waste of time (traffic, gas, parking, etc…). Plus I always feel like people are scrutinizing my presence as being threatening. LOL

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » August 26th, 2016, 11:17 am

mikeyicon wrote:Of course, if you are a real fan of Will Smith, and it's the only way, I get it. If you have the time and it matters to you, go for it! Although you never know when you can find resources to sometimes attend the premieres and such which could garner a chance to get more than the photo op if you have the skillz.
With big names, there is almost no chance for that, period. When I got Will I was the only fan waiting, with one dealer present. That's it. In terms of skill and getting good info, you won't do any better than that for Will Smith, so skills were used. Despite that, he was very nice but still in a rush with prying security. Unless skill means disguising yourself as their driver and getting them in a car with you, there is almost never a chance for an "intimate moment" with the mega A-List.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » August 26th, 2016, 12:15 pm

WOODMO wrote:I meant brought.

Class, I think knowing a hotel reservation is no less invasive than a flight reservation. The flight is just done by a smaller crowd typically because it's a one shot deal and by the time word spreads the spot is expired
There are actually more legals ways to obtain hotel reservation than flight reservation. That's one of the reasons flights are less crowded than hotels.
mikeyicon wrote: I love Al Pacino, he's my favorite actor of all time, I would love the photo op with him. I know he's not difficult and if you attend one of his shows on Broadway, you can probably get it after the show. But although it would be fun to get the photo, the time, energy, crowds isn't worth it for me. Personally, I would never pay for one of those special sessions that he recently did, that's just giving away money. And of course, getting a quick photo for me personally without at least saying thank you seems weird to me and just not that interesting. If I see he's back on Broadway and I check out the show, then maybe I'll try afterward or use resources if I have them.

Upon reading this forum, a few years ago, I decided to try doing street meets to understand how and why people do it. It was when that show was on Broadway with Justin Long and Jerry O'Connell. I went by my lonesome since I wasn't working at the time, had time before starting a new job and had the time. I hit NYC, knew the spot, there were no crowds, and I just waited and waited. Jerry O'Connell walked up, knew what I wanted, took the selfie for me, and then just walked off. I waited around for maybe 30 minutes and got it. It was a quick thrill. Justin Long then came by and told me after the show. I'm sure I could have gotten it, but I just didn't care for the impersonal way of doing it. After the one hour experience, I determined it's just not for me, and haven't done it since. If I go to a concert and show and figure it will be easy, I'll always do it and have been very successful and had great experiences and photos. Maybe because as I've gotten older and have kids, my patience and obviously priorities have changed. If I were 18-20 with a lot more time and money on my hands and no family, I might be more intrigued, which is why although i don't agree, I totally understand the methods. As I say, don't say it, do it, and a lot of you guys and gals do it, which I think is great! And yes, I agree as sometimes you have to buck the system to get what you want, so DO NOT GET CAUGHT, and of course sometimes don't reveal all your secrets.
Perhaps with your mindset it doesn't make sense. But for me, Joresky, and others the photo op is the be all and end all when it comes to this. So of course it makes sense for us to get 10 seconds with *insert celebrity here* if you score the photo op. That's the only thing that matters.

And even the paid Al Pacino meet, his price wasn't that bad for someone of his caliber. If you wanted the photo op (or quality time) that would be a good way to get it.

And like Woodmo said, for A list street meets you're generally not going to get intimate moments with them. You have to remember they are hounded more than (say) someone like Frank Oz who can walk around Times Square and no one would bother him. Even the nice ones will do an auto, photo, or combo and want to go away.

As for airports, I guess they are in the eye of the beholder. Personally I love them. Maybe NYC airports can be bad, but for the most part crowd is generally less than other spots. Case in point Frank Oz it was just me and Greg.

Also you have an exact time. You know by a certain time you will either succeed or fail. This is something golden in itself. Anyone who knows me knows how much I loath spending time doing this. So knowing when it's going to end is something I relish.

And for wrestling sometimes you get 20 or more wrestlers within a very short time frame (sometimes within an hour). And there's no hotel or arena security that can tell you where to stand and what you can or cannot do and that you're not aloud to approach them. Another aspect of it that is golden.

So in short, I LOVE airports. More often than not I score.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » August 26th, 2016, 12:17 pm

Also, you're glamorizing being inside a premier. I know many people who get inside with tickets, and it's just as rushed as many of the outside locations. In general, these people don't want to waste time talking to fans. The nice ones do the combo and go on their way.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » August 26th, 2016, 5:58 pm

Wow, I guess I've been very lucky as I've always had fun and great success at events which were special invites. Again, I'm more casual with a lot of these things and take in the moment. I really don't have specific wants when I attend these events and the photos are definitely wanted and I am usually successful, but not the end of the world if I miss out and more as a bonus if I pull them off. I'm also happy with a lot of lesser-known stars that might not be relevant in the big picture to many (except 16times who enjoys retro stuff), but to me their work meant the world to me (which is why I enjoy Chiller shows more than current comic-cons and A List stars that I know are going to be very impersonal) Although I've been very successful with some bigger things like Breaking Bad (Although it was before the show really took off and was a fluke!), Mr. Robot (again, it was a TV taping!) and some other cool events, I don't attend as much as many others on this forum. I'm happy with a 3-5 unique events, two Chiller shows, 3-4 concerts, and 1 or 2 Monster Mania shows a year.

To friends and colleagues who don't understand or agree why I go to Chiller shows, or TV tapings, or cool panels probably don't understand my passion. At the end of the day, I do what I can to please myself first but of course enjoy sharing and listening to stories as long as people aren't too obsessive about them. As a married guy with two kids, I definitely am not looking to impress people, although showing thousands of celeb photos to potential new friends or girls would seem kind of weird, but hey a lot of people enjoy them, so maybe it's a good ice breaker or intro to a new relationship.

Yeah, Woodmo, I fully expect you to dress up as a limo driver and kidnap Will Smith, that is what I'm talking about. Whatever it takes :) Just kidding, I totally understand it's important, and when you can get it with no stress, no wait, no $$$, and not a bunch of people around, it's great. It's just not that important to me to go this route, but I love to see the photos from those that have the passion, time, and $$$ and appreciate your efforts.

Again, it's the hotel/airport/personal space thing that puzzles me. Again, I don't agree, but definitely understand it. If the people who do it have no qualms about it, at the end of the day, my opinion shouldn't deter them one bit, and if it makes you happy and the lottery is won, awesome!

just shooting the shizz on here , so if I went off on a ramble, I apologize. :) I'm in a typing mood today.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » August 26th, 2016, 8:38 pm

So in what scenario os a good get for Al? Dont wanna pay for his M&G, no on the street, etc

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » August 26th, 2016, 10:00 pm

The only scenario for me is maybe one day I'll go with my wife or friend to see him on Broadway, and then depending on time and patience level and amount of people, would try after the show. Or maybe use a resource for a NYC event for a possible opportunity if it ever happens, but pretty rare for him to this stuff nowadays. Otherwise, guess I'll have to enjoy his movies and never get the photo and it's okay.

bigman
Full Fledged Mark

Re: How far is too far in this hobby?

Post by bigman » August 27th, 2016, 6:16 pm

I was in Los Angeles on vacation for wrestlemania 21. I had gone to universal studios. I get there and first thing I do is go to the gift shop to the right. I start flipping through this photo book and this gentlemen starts looking at it aswell. Commenting on it. I'm literally paying no attention. till I walk away from him a second and tell him have a great day. My brother whispers in my ear with a giddy school girl grin. That i'm talking to Shawn Michaels. Didnt even realize. When I full do. I see him and his wife the nitro girl. I let them go, I always pondered if I should've gotten combos. But he literally just walked into the place. He was with his family...

Now on to the second sighting of the day. and Class, this one will blow your mind. I was in line for Jurassic Park ride and there's a big commotion starting. Chris Benoit & Nancy & Daniel are let in front of me and we all share jurassic park ride together. I dont mark out or anything. They were a normal family. We get off the boat. Head into the gift shop. People start hounding benoit. So he stops and takes care of everybody. Benoit & Woman holding daniel were taking photos with fans. I nearly jumped in on it since they were so accomdating to people. But I backed off. I was on vacaction wasnt the time for it. Looking back.. Holy shit. I wonder if those photo ops haunt the people that got em. Felt it was going too far. But the what ifs plague me on those two.

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » August 27th, 2016, 7:43 pm

I have plenty of woulda/coulda/shouldas when I was younger including some that I should have done it as it was during company trade shows (ie Jamie Lee Curtis) but I just for some reason didn't care enough, or just felt it wasn't the right place. I like those stories about HBK and Benoits, cool stuff, and although you don't have photos, you have a cool story to share with others. The photo is good to have to document the experience, but again, it's oh well. Good stuff!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » August 27th, 2016, 8:10 pm

WOW, that would have been an epic Benoit family photo.

Ever since I was a kid I would never pass up an opportunity, no matter what the location. I saw Mick Foley walking across the parking lot of my local supermarket on my 13th birthday, carrying a bag of charcoal to his mini van. I chased him down to get an autograph, even at that age, and he ended up giving me a book out of his trunk and signed it with a Happy Birthday inscription.

I can understand not breaking the ice if they're with family, but I would always jump if someone else already did. Though I respect bigman not wanting to.

Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke » August 28th, 2016, 7:55 pm

For me the airport is too far. The furthest I've gone is street meets I guess although it was just waiting around the stadium after a game and getting guys on their way out to the parking lot or whatever.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » August 29th, 2016, 12:19 am

bigman wrote:I was in Los Angeles on vacation for wrestlemania 21. I had gone to universal studios. I get there and first thing I do is go to the gift shop to the right. I start flipping through this photo book and this gentlemen starts looking at it aswell. Commenting on it. I'm literally paying no attention. till I walk away from him a second and tell him have a great day. My brother whispers in my ear with a giddy school girl grin. That i'm talking to Shawn Michaels. Didnt even realize. When I full do. I see him and his wife the nitro girl. I let them go, I always pondered if I should've gotten combos. But he literally just walked into the place. He was with his family...

Now on to the second sighting of the day. and Class, this one will blow your mind. I was in line for Jurassic Park ride and there's a big commotion starting. Chris Benoit & Nancy & Daniel are let in front of me and we all share jurassic park ride together. I dont mark out or anything. They were a normal family. We get off the boat. Head into the gift shop. People start hounding benoit. So he stops and takes care of everybody. Benoit & Woman holding daniel were taking photos with fans. I nearly jumped in on it since they were so accomdating to people. But I backed off. I was on vacaction wasnt the time for it. Looking back.. Holy shit. I wonder if those photo ops haunt the people that got em. Felt it was going too far. But the what ifs plague me on those two.
Unlike :pauuuse: I cannot for the life of me understand not breaking the ice if they're with family.

I bust my ass off and put myself through hard work and suffering to get to celebrities. So if I happen by chance to run into a celeb on vacation, this is what I call a GIFT. So yes I will ask them no matter. They might say yes, they might say no, but in the name of all that is divine and holy I will sure as hell ask!

Look at your situation with Chris and Nancy. What has your so called human decency gotten you? They are now both dead and gone and the only thing that matters is the fact that you didn't get what would have been an epic photo op.

That being said, sometimes family actually helps your chances for a photo op. Some celebrities will more likely do it around family when they are dicks otherwise. Other celebrities will say they're with family as an excuse not to do it. While others will do it either way. This simply goes back to a point I made earlier. There is no right or wrong. Only what generates results for the particular celebrity.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

DarkDefender
Marking Out Amateur

Post by DarkDefender » August 29th, 2016, 1:50 am

Going to the airport to get graphs or photo ops isn't the worst thing in the world and it never will be. It doesn't ruin their day and as long as we're respectful and don't shove things in their face, i don't see the issue.

bigman
Full Fledged Mark

Post by bigman » August 29th, 2016, 3:11 am

class316 wrote:
bigman wrote:I was in Los Angeles on vacation for wrestlemania 21. I had gone to universal studios. I get there and first thing I do is go to the gift shop to the right. I start flipping through this photo book and this gentlemen starts looking at it aswell. Commenting on it. I'm literally paying no attention. till I walk away from him a second and tell him have a great day. My brother whispers in my ear with a giddy school girl grin. That i'm talking to Shawn Michaels. Didnt even realize. When I full do. I see him and his wife the nitro girl. I let them go, I always pondered if I should've gotten combos. But he literally just walked into the place. He was with his family...

Unlike :pauuuse: I cannot for the life of me understand not breaking the ice if they're with family.

I bust my ass off and put myself through hard work and suffering to get to celebrities. So if I happen by chance to run into a celeb on vacation, this is what I call a GIFT. So yes I will ask them no matter. They might say yes, they might say no, but in the name of all that is divine and holy I will sure as hell ask!

Look at your situation with Chris and Nancy. What has your so called human decency gotten you? They are now both dead and gone and the only thing that matters is the fact that you didn't get what would have been an epic photo op.

That being said, sometimes family actually helps your chances for a photo op. Some celebrities will more likely do it around family when they are dicks otherwise. Other celebrities will say they're with family as an excuse not to do it. While others will do it either way. This simply goes back to a point I made earlier. There is no right or wrong. Only what generates results for the particular celebrity.
Well one thing. i'm actually pretty damn shy. I hate having my photo taken. Pretty much autograph only guy. I have like 5 photo ops. main one being with a smiling happy CM Punk. But Chris and Family were extremely nice. I do regret sometimes. But I got to share a theme park ride with benoit family . I got to see Daniel have the time of his life. I saw Chris happy. I saw Woman happy. Experiences trump photo ops man. Knowing what happened to em. Photo op would haunt me.

Luke
Marked Out King

Post by Luke » August 29th, 2016, 8:03 am

Yeah, I have to agree, a photo of Benoit, Woman and Daniel wouldn't really be a cool photo to have. Knowing that the man you're posing with murdered both of them would be haunting to look at.

It'd be "rare" but in that situation who cares about rarity?