Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Discuss general topics dealing with the hobby.
AJLe
Marked Out Master

Re: New York Comic Con- October 8-11, 2020- New York, NY

Post by AJLe » March 29th, 2020, 9:10 pm

It's a moot argument - if the virus is still a completely unrestrained thing, they won't run big events like this. If they're running big events like this again by then, it means that either there's a vaccine, there's a cure/treatment, there's near-instant screening/testing to keep the sick reliably quarantined, etc.

Nobody's going to get to "choose" whether to safely go to this or not - either it'll be safe by then, or it won't be happening.

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Re: New York Comic Con- October 8-11, 2020- New York, NY

Post by oldschoolwwwf » March 29th, 2020, 11:37 pm

AJLe wrote:
March 29th, 2020, 9:10 pm
It's a moot argument - if the virus is still a completely unrestrained thing, they won't run big events like this. If they're running big events like this again by then, it means that either there's a vaccine, there's a cure/treatment, there's near-instant screening/testing to keep the sick reliably quarantined, etc.

Nobody's going to get to "choose" whether to safely go to this or not - either it'll be safe by then, or it won't be happening.
Well said.

Greg2600

Re: Will Coronavirus Take its Toll on Cons?

Post by Greg2600 » March 30th, 2020, 2:47 pm

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... virus.html

Dr. Fauci thinks the April 30 lockdown should be sufficient. That would be followed by weaning it out, though smaller outbreaks will continue in different cities.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro

Post by Anthony18 » March 31st, 2020, 5:14 pm

ICW wrote:
March 15th, 2020, 2:26 pm
Jenna and I couldn't wait for spring/summer so we could have Hoboken/Jersey City weekends...

This fucking sucks.
It does! My trip to Europe in August may not happen.

Gumby
Marked Out Pro

Post by Gumby » April 1st, 2020, 1:12 am

What kind of market is there on a weekly basis for wrestling merchandise, comics, sports cards, etc, in 2020.
Comics are a weekly business but I agree about wrestling centric stores.
Well for residential I might agree, but for small businesses, sure they can boot them out but they won’t get back rent and good luck finding a new small business tenant after this ends. Either you work something doable out with the current tenant or the space sits unrented. Not making any money that way either.
Absolutely. There's going to have to be a lot of empathy and forgiveness across the board.
You guys, after all this, would really consider going.??
Hypothetically, life has to go back to normal at some point. Having said that, you'll still see an effect once it does. A lot of people will be hesitant to go out let alone to large events.

Playboy_Jesse
Learning To Mark Out

Post by Playboy_Jesse » April 1st, 2020, 12:58 pm

Anthony18 wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 5:14 pm
ICW wrote:
Jenna and I couldn't wait for spring/summer so we could have Hoboken/Jersey City weekends...

This fucking sucks.
Yea, my Italy trip that was scheduled for September is out the door

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » April 3rd, 2020, 9:45 pm

My aunt tested positive though it seems like she's gotten through the worst of it
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro

Post by Anthony18 » April 4th, 2020, 12:12 pm

Playboy_Jesse wrote:
April 1st, 2020, 12:58 pm
Anthony18 wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 5:14 pm
ICW wrote:

This fucking sucks.
Yea, my Italy trip that was scheduled for September is out the door
Well my plan was to go to Croatia and I paid for my trip. There's hope it still happens.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » May 7th, 2020, 11:21 pm

Has anyone's prognostication changed on this pandemic with regards to conventions, signings, etc.? I personally don't see anything happening for the rest of this year, maybe longer.

If that changes, sounds like airfare is due to skyrocket, which will make guest bookings even tougher.

https://nypost.com/2020/05/07/airfares- ... ules-iata/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 8th, 2020, 12:18 am

I see nothing in 2020, and 2021 what does happen will be very different. I think in general our culture ends up being a lot more germ conscious, and I expect celebrity street meeting to be largely a thing of the past. People who wanted to save face can easily just blame that. I can't imagine A-listers grabbing sharpies from people, getting close for photos, etc, even after this virus. It's just a good excuse to get out of it, and as I said, I think in general a lot of society is going to be more germ conscious.

Convention wise, low end guests need money, they will return at some point. Not sure about the A-Listers at ACE type cons though. Wrestling across the board will be the least impacted. Indy shows will still have gimmick tables, new stars will still sell shirts and take photos, old wrestlers will still do cons to get paid.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » May 8th, 2020, 12:57 am

No shot on society being more "germ conscious," as people are slobs and that won't change. States are opening back up now with people barely taking precautions. Individual celebs is another story. Con-wise I'm more thinking about what will be allowed from a local governmental perspective. There are a lot of cons rescheduled for the fall, but that all depends on what is allowed with regards to large gatherings. Nor does that include the massive number of people now made broke.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » May 8th, 2020, 10:56 am

I'm on the fence.

I can't picture another convention in 2020; however, Six Flags Great Adventure is telling customers that they'll have to make online reservations to visit the park when/if it opens this summer. If a gigantic amusement park is open (even at limited capacity) then I can't imagine conventions won't open.

I don't think we'll see big headliners but there are tons of celebrities/athletes/wrestlers who desperately need the money, now more than ever.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » May 8th, 2020, 1:08 pm

Well you can kind of social distance at Six Flags, can't be done at a con.

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro

Post by Anthony18 » May 9th, 2020, 12:36 am

Sadly I don’t see cons happening for the rest of the year. Shame.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 9th, 2020, 1:23 am

Greg2600 wrote:
May 8th, 2020, 12:57 am
No shot on society being more "germ conscious," as people are slobs and that won't change. States are opening back up now with people barely taking precautions. Individual celebs is another story. Con-wise I'm more thinking about what will be allowed from a local governmental perspective. There are a lot of cons rescheduled for the fall, but that all depends on what is allowed with regards to large gatherings. Nor does that include the massive number of people now made broke.
I guess I overestimate intelligence haha You have a point I am sure most people are too dumb to be more hygienic.

Celebrities I definitely think on average will be though. Handshakes are probably largely over. Creation Con style poses, like prom, stare into my eyes, etc, which frankly were always going too far are probably a thing of the past. And I don't even think it will be genuine concern for future viruses, I think it will mostly be an excuse, taking advantage of the old norm breaking, in turn allowing celebs to avoid shit they probably never wanted to do to begin with.

Economics are another issue. As you said, millions are broke, how much crazier does a $200 photo op seem now? And how many of the convention goers are among now unemployed, rendering any con coming up at a disadvantage.