Post by oldschoolwwwf » December 14th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Big signings news today

John Lackey about to sign with RedSox

Matsui about to sign with Angels

Bluejays trade Roy Haliday to Phillies
Phillies trade Cliff Lee to Seattle
Prospects to Toronto

Losers:
Mets- Halliday goes to their division rivals- he is a better pitcher than Lee, although its marginal. The reason I think Mets are losers are because they should have been the team to either trade for Halliday or to sign lackey.

Yanks- 1. RedSox rotation is by far best in baseball with Beckett, Lester, Lackey, Matsusaka, Bucholz (until they trade Buckholtz for a big bat, thus improving themslves even more).
2. Looks like they lose Matsui, who signs for only about 6.5 million, at that price, yanks should have brought him back. Since Damon unlikely to return, they need a DH an another starter badly so that they can move Chamerlain to the bullpen full time.

Now, Seattle is huge with King Felix, Lee, Figgins, Ichiro, etc.
Boston has best rotation in baseball, can trade Clay for maybe Adrian Gonzalez or some other huge bat.
The NL Champs get even better with Halliday.

Yanks are still there but the road to repeat just got a lot harder.

Mets fans, even if you get Bay, you needed that stud pitcher, Halliday or Lackey- now you are in serious trouble.

THE MOOCH
Marked Out King

Re: Bad day for the yanks, worse day for the Mets

Post by THE MOOCH » December 14th, 2009, 4:44 pm

wow!!! are you kidding lee for haliday is a terrible trade lee is fucking amazing not like haliday is not but still. and its not like the mets were getting him anyway. theyre not losers in this. there are other pitchers out there. plus johan and some of the rest i have confidence in. but it is time for someone new to step up.

:mooch:

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 14th, 2009, 4:45 pm

The Mets are screwed. Randy Wolf signed with Milwaukee, there aren't even good middle of the rotation arms anymore.

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » December 14th, 2009, 4:51 pm

THE MOOCH wrote:wow!!! are you kidding lee for haliday is a terrible trade lee is fucking amazing not like haliday is not but still. and its not like the mets were getting him anyway. theyre not losers in this. there are other pitchers out there. plus johan and some of the rest i have confidence in. but it is time for someone new to step up.

halliday is one of the best pitchers in baseball- he will be lights out in the national league- he would have made the mets instant contenders and he was available- they couldnt close the deal

lee was awesome in the playoffs but halliday is definitely a better pitcher

not only do you have to face halliday, not only does he make philly better but you lost out on possibly the best pitcher in the game- you have santana (who is awesome but has serious injury concerns) and no one else

there are no free agents that you can get that are even half as good as halliday

i dont know what kind of trade you can make bc you dont have the chips to land a good pitcher

instead, you will only be able to get your hands on # 4 or #5 level starters; good luck.

THE MOOCH
Marked Out King

Post by THE MOOCH » December 14th, 2009, 4:56 pm

well see well see. but good points i will give you that.

:mooch:

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 14th, 2009, 6:34 pm

Matsui said in a staement its only talks with anaheim, nowhere near close to signing as of 4pm today

Yanks are looking into signing Ben Sheets on the cheap, but who knows, hes injury prone and not that great

Sox also made an offer to the Cuban pitcher who can top 100MPH

Best bet is for Yanks to trade Montero, and hughs for a starter

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » December 14th, 2009, 9:12 pm

redsoz signed mike cameron today

i read that matsui is official to angels

yanks are gonna have to overpay damon now bc cameron was an option if they didnt bring back damon or matsui- now unless they overpay for holliday or bay (which i would not be in favor of), gonna have to give damon more than they hoped for.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 15th, 2009, 10:09 am

Phills said halliday will sign for less to stay with them as Lee wanted Santana $$$. Halliday reportedly wants 3 years at 60MM extention or somewhere around there and Lee wanted much more

Look out for the M's this year

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » December 15th, 2009, 10:36 am

lanza218 wrote:Phills said halliday will sign for less to stay with them as Lee wanted Santana $$$. Halliday reportedly wants 3 years at 60MM extention or somewhere around there and Lee wanted much more

Look out for the M's this year

seattle will def be better BUT they still need some power bats- they scored so few runs last season- definitely will be a competetive team with lee and king felix and figgins and ichiro but w/o adding some pop to that lineup, nothing for the yanks to really fear.

gonna come down to yanks v boston in the championship series, something we havent seen in a few yrs.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 15th, 2009, 10:51 am

True, but ichiro and Figgins is a nice 1-2 punch as is Felix-Lee- I doubt the M's spending is done- Id ratehr see M's-Yanks than Boston- I do not like them at all, not at all

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 15th, 2009, 10:55 am

lanza218 wrote:Id ratehr see M's-Yanks than Boston- I do not like them at all, not at all
You're not supposed to like the other team. The fact I hate the Sox so much makes Yankees-Sox my favorite match up since the win is all the sweeter.

The way the Sox seem to be shaping up, I can't see anybody but NYY and BOS making it to the ALCS.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 15th, 2009, 10:58 am

Id rather see Boston not even make the playoffs than getting to that point- OBVIOUSLY your not supposed to like the other team- which is why I rather see them lose than get to that point- Look at what happened in 2004-

Sox still have no bats as well, lost Lowell, Ortiz is not the smae, lost Bay now, didnt address their catching needs- I don't think they are that strong a team at all- add to the fact they lost 2 key members of the bp

For What it's worth- It appears if yanks don't resign Damon they will use a rotating DH- Posada for days when Cevelli is catching, and Swisher on other days- while starting gardner- I'm not a fan of this but w/e- I still think they have the most talent from top to bottom- Still need a 4th starter though and Ben Sheets is not the answer- I expect another trade coming, esp after these big moves being made

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 15th, 2009, 11:01 am

lanza218 wrote:Id rather see Boston not even make the playoffs than getting to that point- OBVIOUSLY your not supposed to like the other team- which is why I rather see them lose than get to that point- Look at what happened in 2004-

Sox still have no bats as well, lost Lowell, Ortiz is not the smae, lost Bay now, didnt address their catching needs- I don't think they are that strong a team at all- add to the fact they lost 2 key members of the bp
They are bringing in Adiran Beltre who isn't THAT much worse offensively than Lowell was last season, plus a big upgrade defensively. They have Martinez who I assume can do some catching. Plus, they will probably deal Bucholz for some big bat, they were trying for Gonzalez but talks stalled.

As for hoping they don't make the playoffs, that is both unrealistic and rather pointless to me. Anybody can beat us like they did in 04, look at AZ in 03 for example. The guarantee is an extremely exciting series between the best rivals in all of sports. I love the drama and would feel much more satisfied when we beat them than a team like SEA.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » December 15th, 2009, 11:05 am

As for Ben Sheets, I think he is a guy with a huge amount of upside if he comes cheap. I don't think he is the answer as our fourth starter though, I would like to see someone more stable for that spot. Sheets has the upside that would make a cheap pickup very worthwhile.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » December 15th, 2009, 11:11 am

Bucholz isn't going anywhere, that's Theo's boy- which is why they didn't get Halliday- same reason Mets didn't get him- refused to part with Reyes-

Also going to be harder for Sox to make it since gotta assume Yanks win the division- M's should have no problem winning theirs, which leaves Sox vieing for only a wild card in a competitive AL

Might not even get Beltre- just move Youkilis to Third as full time since he is so versitile, or move Martiniez to 1st. I thinik the OF is now set with Drew, Cameron, and Ellisbury and Ortiz as DH, dont see where they would try and get a power bat.

I really wouldn't mind Yanks getting a better bat than Damon