Pedro Martinez returns to MLB tonight..........

Chris
Marked Out Pro

Pedro Martinez returns to MLB tonight..........

Post by Chris » August 12th, 2009, 12:23 pm

Pedro will make his first start for the Philladelphia Phillies against the Chicago Cubs tonight. I know most here don't follow the world of sports, but those who do; I'm interested in your thoughts. I think he would be an excellent closer. I do think he is still a 10 win guy when you have the hitters Philly has; but he is up in age for a pitcher.

DISCUSS :D

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Pedro Martinez returns to MLB tonight..........

Post by WOODMO » August 12th, 2009, 12:46 pm

I think he still has a ton to offer. His last or second to last minor league start was exquisite. As a starter, with the right backing, he could win 10 games and be a hell of a 5th starter. As a closer, I think he has a YEARS left in the tank. Look what it did to John Smoltz' career when his body seemed unable to withstand the grind of a 150+ IP.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » August 12th, 2009, 1:08 pm

Lets wait and see, look at what Smoltz tried to do after becoming an amazing closer.....Designated for Assignment. I think in the NL especially he has maybe another year left as a starter, esp with the hitter friendly Phillies. It couldnt hurt if he adjusted his pitching style a lil, ala moyer, Mussina. He would def benifit if moved to BP or Closer position.

Chris
Marked Out Pro

Post by Chris » August 13th, 2009, 11:42 am

wesome. I think he looked great considering all factors. He was exciting to watch, as always his post game interview is just as entertaining as his on field work. And the home runs made a really exciting time for both teams.

For his first time pitching in an official MLB game his numbers were pretty solid:
5 IP, 7 Hits, 3 ER, 1 BB, 5 K's. It was his 4001st game. He moved into 13th all time strikeout leaders with his 2nd K of the game.

I think he might push Philly over the edge, and make them WS champs for Back-To-Back years.