Tim Tebow

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Tim Tebow

Post by AsianDave » September 8th, 2016, 7:46 am

:tebowing: Breaking news! The Mets has signed Tebow to minor league contract! Circus back in town! Good grief!

WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: Tim Tebow

Post by WOODMO » September 8th, 2016, 9:44 am

I like Tebow the guy. I think he was a pretty underrated quarterback, but this won't work for the Mets on a Major League level. Even if he can play professional baseball, the last thing they need is a lefty hitting corner outfielder, who will likely be a HR/Strikeout guy.

This is an attraction and sideshow I feel, nothing more.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » September 8th, 2016, 10:08 am

i gotta read up more about this signing to have a better understanding of what took place. the fact 20 some teams went to his work out/try out/audition, and the Mets came away as the ONLY interested party? Or did the Mets overbid for his services. either way...it's insane to think he'd be an asset, even in their minor league systems. okay, maybe he'll drum up some interest and put more asses in the bleacher/seats for minor league games...but how long before this gimmick grows old and tired as well?

yeah, i agree, it's a sideshow, circus show!

mrira
Marked Out King

Post by mrira » September 8th, 2016, 3:36 pm

Either he becomes a big superstar or he has a Michael Jordan-esque run at Baseball. I'm betting the latter.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » September 8th, 2016, 4:20 pm

funny you mention Jordan! I still have his '91 UD Rookie baseball card!

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » September 9th, 2016, 11:55 pm

AsianDave wrote:i gotta read up more about this signing to have a better understanding of what took place. the fact 20 some teams went to his work out/try out/audition, and the Mets came away as the ONLY interested party? Or did the Mets overbid for his services. either way...it's insane to think he'd be an asset, even in their minor league systems. okay, maybe he'll drum up some interest and put more asses in the bleacher/seats for minor league games...but how long before this gimmick grows old and tired as well?

yeah, i agree, it's a sideshow, circus show!
All but 2 MLB teams sent a scout to his workout.

Mets were NOT the only interested party. In fact, they werent even in the conversation to sign him. The night before, it was looking like the Braves/Tebow was just about a done deal. It was reported they were the front runners and the Braves even announced they were very close to closing a deal. But there were a couple of teams interested before the Braves emerged and before the ultimate Mets signing.

Overbid? I dont think there was a bidding war. Dude got a 100K signing bonus. While that may be a large sum for a minor league player that was undrafted...its dramatically less than what he was getting paid for his SEC network job.

The Mets biggest issue is power hitting. If there is anything we saw from Tebow was he can hit the longball and has some decent speed on the bases. I have no idea if he ever gets called up to the majors. Odds say no to no fucking way. But if he is given a fair chance and he can grow, develop and give the Mets what they need....then absolutely. If he is blackballed because of the media circus that follows him...then no.

As far as seats...ABSOLUTELY. One of the Mets minor league teams, cant remember the club but its a single A club, draws an average of 300 fans in a stadium that seats 9000. Odds are he will be sent to Port St. Lucie or Brooklyn has been mentioned several times. Brooklyn Cyclones would be crazy to see Tebow there.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » September 10th, 2016, 9:37 am

cmshowstopper wrote: The Mets biggest issue is power hitting. If there is anything we saw from Tebow was he can hit the longball and has some decent speed on the bases. I have no idea if he ever gets called up to the majors. Odds say no to no fucking way. But if he is given a fair chance and he can grow, develop and give the Mets what they need....then absolutely. If he is blackballed because of the media circus that follows him...then no.
:skipWHAT:

What? The Mets are one of the best power hitting teams in the league!! They're ranked #5 right this moment in team home runs. They live and die by the home run to a fault.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » September 10th, 2016, 10:52 am

I knew CM is an avid Tebow fan, so, it was only a matter of time before he jumped in on discussion! :lol:

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » September 10th, 2016, 5:28 pm

WOODMO wrote:
cmshowstopper wrote: The Mets biggest issue is power hitting. If there is anything we saw from Tebow was he can hit the longball and has some decent speed on the bases. I have no idea if he ever gets called up to the majors. Odds say no to no fucking way. But if he is given a fair chance and he can grow, develop and give the Mets what they need....then absolutely. If he is blackballed because of the media circus that follows him...then no.

What? The Mets are one of the best power hitting teams in the league!! They're ranked #5 right this moment in team home runs. They live and die by the home run to a fault.
Outside of Bruce, they have no true power hitter. Forget Cespedes....dude aint gonna be there for the long haul, is inconsistent and disappears during the playoffs. 5, 4,3,2,1...stats lie. I have preached that for ages. If they were such a great power hitting team...they wouldnt be losing 3-2.

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » September 11th, 2016, 11:33 am

cmshowstopper wrote:
WOODMO wrote:

Outside of Bruce, they have no true power hitter. Forget Cespedes....dude aint gonna be there for the long haul, is inconsistent and disappears during the playoffs. 5, 4,3,2,1...stats lie. I have preached that for ages. If they were such a great power hitting team...they wouldnt be losing 3-2.
Meaning, tried and true, year in and year out? I agree you can't count on Flores and Asdrubal to produce like this, but you also can't expect Conforto to be this much of a non factor. Or for Duda to not come back (if they tender) and be a power threat again. Also Granderson seems to always get his 20-25 a year by the end of it. I think the lineup is flawed, but I have faith in them being top 10 in HRs again next year.

Tebow's signing is a no risk move so why not, but I just can't see him even in a best case scenario filling any holes in the Mets' 25 man roster.

And stats do lie, but you can't point to one game to damn a year's worth of stats. They do benefit from the long ball quite a bit.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » September 13th, 2016, 12:06 am

WOODMO wrote:
cmshowstopper wrote:
WOODMO wrote:

Meaning, tried and true, year in and year out? I agree you can't count on Flores and Asdrubal to produce like this, but you also can't expect Conforto to be this much of a non factor. Or for Duda to not come back (if they tender) and be a power threat again. Also Granderson seems to always get his 20-25 a year by the end of it. I think the lineup is flawed, but I have faith in them being top 10 in HRs again next year.

Tebow's signing is a no risk move so why not, but I just can't see him even in a best case scenario filling any holes in the Mets' 25 man roster.

And stats do lie, but you can't point to one game to damn a year's worth of stats. They do benefit from the long ball quite a bit.
Conforto was supposed to really break out this year. Dude regressed. Duda, if he can remain healthy is a nice piece. Granderson is as old as dirt. Can we really expect this production to continue? I have no faith in this team contending until they can get a serious bat in the lineup.If only David Wright was in his prime today.

Right...no risk in Tebow being signed. I hope to see him in the majors....but cant imagine it happening considering his age, time away from the game, etc.

I'm not citing a single game. You can be a top 10 in HRs and have most of those being meaningless ones. And by meaningless I am talking ones that lead to 1 or 2 runs for the entire game. When I am talking power....I am talking I want a lineup like Toronto. They have power and the ability to score runs. I dont think the Mets have the pieces to play small ball, so this is the direction I think they need to pursue.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » September 28th, 2016, 6:48 pm

Just curious if anyone had any thoughts about Tebow hitting his very first HR, on the very first pitch thrown to him in today's instructional league game. Granted, IT IS the instructional league for a reason, and the pitcher that threw it probably laid a fat one right over the plate! still, I'm somewhat pleasantly surprise. I'm interested to see where this is heading.

ivpvideos
IVP Videos

Post by ivpvideos » September 28th, 2016, 8:34 pm

If Tebow was serious about this, he would quit all of his media gigs to focus on baseball. He is a publicity stunt and making a bunch of cash selling jerseys. Good on him, but if you think he is ever going to have a run in the majors you are D-E-Lusional.
Go to http://www.ivpvideos.com
Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/IVPvideos
Follow us on Twitter @IVPvideos
Shop on Amazon by going to www.amazonIvp.com so I can make some sweet cash.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » October 3rd, 2016, 11:35 pm

AsianDave wrote:Just curious if anyone had any thoughts about Tebow hitting his very first HR, on the very first pitch thrown to him in today's instructional league game. Granted, IT IS the instructional league for a reason, and the pitcher that threw it probably laid a fat one right over the plate! still, I'm somewhat pleasantly surprise. I'm interested to see where this is heading.
Hitting a baseball at 91MPH isnt easy. Im not saying this makes him MLB caliber. Im saying, no one should take away this accomplishment. If he had struck out, it would have been bigger news.

Tebow remains a prospective power hitter. On a minor league club, he most definitely can generate ticket sales and of course jersey sales. Anyone who thinks that Tebow required the Mets to put jerseys out with his name on it is fucking D-E-LUSIONAL. Mets saw an opportunity to cash in and they did it. Simple as that.

As far as where Tebow goes from here...no one knows. I suspect he will be assigned to a minor league club whether it be single or double. Honestly, I suspect he will start at double A. Then we can start looking at performance and what he can do against other players looking to make the majors in real competition.

oscargamble
Full Fledged Mark

Post by oscargamble » October 4th, 2016, 1:23 pm

ivpvideos wrote: Good on him, but if you think he is ever going to have a run in the majors you are D-E-Lusional.
I'm not a Tebow basher, far from it. I still feel he is better than a plethora of current back-up QBs in the NFL, and he's an upstanding individual. But you are right on the money in that anyone who thinks he has any shot at all of making it in the majors is dreaming. The WORST player in MLB right now is still infinitely better than Tebow.