PROMOLAST REPORT ATLANTA

Place to find reports on meets of the past.
class316
Marked Out Historian

Re: PROMOLAST REPORT ATLANTA

Post by class316 » June 6th, 2010, 1:14 pm

lotr wrote: Outside Beverage was also prohibited from being brought in to this hotel.
WOW! I never heard of a hotel doing that!
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » June 6th, 2010, 1:38 pm

the low turn out does not surprise me as someone called it earlier- there was zero buzz on this show.

Honestly, I don't see how this show could have had any real turnout.

These are all older school type names, that the die hards of this hobby, if they wanted them, have obtained them. As a result, its unlikely that anyone would have travelled from out of state for this show. So you are appealing only to mainly the local Atlanta and surrounding areas fans. Are there that many Atlanta fans that are into the names at this show that have not already travelled to a show Like Greg's or LOTR?

They didn't have any current, or just released WWE names that may have appealled to current fans.

This was also essentially a one day show. It wasnt a 3 day extravaganza like Gregs, once again, probably eliminating anyone who would have travelled.

NWA Fanfest, LOTR, Signamania shows have followings, fans that come from local and fans that come from far away. Those shows also generally have significant quantity of guests, that appeal to old school fans, current fans and those in between. This Atlanta show appealled to 1 type of fan, and that was the type of fan who would have already met these names numerous times.

It was no shock this show had low turnout.
Last edited by oldschoolwwwf on June 6th, 2010, 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 6th, 2010, 2:19 pm

oldschoolwwwf wrote:the low turn out does not surprise me as someone called it earlier- there was zero buzz on this show.

Honestly, I don't see how this show could have had any real turnout.

These are all older school type names, that the die hards of this hobby, if they wanted them, have obtained them. As a result, its unlikely that anyone would have travelled from out of state for this show. So you are appealing only to mainly the local Atlanta and surrounding areas fans. Are there that many Atlanta fans that are into the names at this show that have not already travelled to a show Like Greg's or LOTR?

They didn't have any current, or just released WWE names that may have appealled to current fans.

This was also essentially a one day show. It wasnt a 3 day extravaganze like Gregs, once again, probably eliminating anyone who would have travelled.

NWA Fanfest, LOTR, Signamania shows have followings, fans that come from local and fans that come from far away. Those shows also generally have significant quantity of guests, that appeal to old school fans, current fans and those in between. This Atlanta show appealled to 1 type of fan, and that was the type of fan who would have already met these names numerous times.

It was no shock this show had low turnout.
Well put, I agree.

16times
Marked Out King

Post by 16times » June 6th, 2010, 9:01 pm

Hey lotr.......

This "mark" you described in the bar......he didn't wear a suit and have a mullet, did he ?
"Every time you score a photo op, an angel gets his wings!"

RonBassRulz

Post by RonBassRulz » June 7th, 2010, 10:10 am

16times wrote:Hey lotr.......

This "mark" you described in the bar......he didn't wear a suit and have a mullet, did he ?
hahahaha

This guy should be banned from all conventions!

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » June 7th, 2010, 3:37 pm

I dont know the Atlanta area all that well. But I know the north east is very strong in wrestling fans and I feel conventions will always draw better in this area because of that
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » June 7th, 2010, 4:34 pm

cmshowstopper wrote:I dont know the Atlanta area all that well. But I know the north east is very strong in wrestling fans and I feel conventions will always draw better in this area because of that
Greg Price's show is in NC and he sells 500 supertickets EASY.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

Murphy 3

Post by Murphy 3 » June 7th, 2010, 6:22 pm

I'll offer a customer's perspective on the show. This show was originally going to be part of a business trip and vacation for me which would have included Adventurecon in Knoxville and several baseball games in Tennessee and Georgia. My work schedule changed at the last minute which eliminated Adventurecon as a possibility. I was going to leave on Tuesday instead to start the Georgia portion of the trip, but I got sick Monday night. I wasn't able to go until Thursday. I drove to Rome and got autographs before the game, then drove to Gwinnett where I got autographs after the game. I stayed in a dumpy hotel near the stadium that night. I guess the medicine I was on completely knocked me out because the hotel staff woke me up at 11:15 by knocking on the door to tell me checkout was at 11:00.

After driving 45 miles, I staggered into the event hotel still wearing the same clothes from the day before. I took a shower and set out to find Abdullah's restaurant. The food was ok, and now I can say I've been there. Abby wasn't there. They said he had gone to the market and wouldn't be back for a few hours. I intended to go back, but I never made it.

That night was the Q&A session with Howard Finkel. I counted 15 people there including the staff. He was a lot of fun to listen to. Next were the promos with Howard. I hadn't planned on participating because I was heavily medicated and was just starting to get my voice back. After the five or so other people in the room had done one, I was talked into shooting one. I really don't really remember what I said, but I'm sure it was incoherent rambling. I went to bed early and woke up feeling much better.

There weren't many more people there Saturday than there were the night before. Here are my autographs and photo ops:

Superticket Session 1:

Booker T - 8x10

Howard Finkel - Figure - He remembered everyone's names from the night before. I was surprised he didn't wear a tuxedo for the photo ops. He had it on for the Q&A.

Kevin Sullivan - Figure

Molly Holly - Figure

Glacier - 8x10 - In full gimmick

Paul Orndorff - Figure - When he was writing my name, he couldn't remember how to make a "d." He made a "b" and realized that didn't look right.

Hugh Morrus - Card

Ted Dibiase - Cancelled because of a medical emergency. He is actually the guest I had seen most often, so I wasn't that disappointed.

Superticket Session 2:

Diamond Dallas Page - Figure and YRG Promo

Kimberly Page - TV Guide and YRG Promo - I wanted the joint photo op, but DDP was talking to someone. Kimberly suggested we do one without him. I didn't object.

Raven - Card - He was in the best mood I have ever seen him in, probably because his wife was with him.

Chief Jay Strongbow - Figure

Ernest Miller - Card

Ron Simmons - Figure - He told me to store the figure standing up because he had already been pinned too many times in his career.

Lex Luger - Figure - He still has to hold a pen a little differently when he signs, but seemed very happy to be there.

Nick Patrick - 8x10

Vendor Guests:

Iron Sheik - Figure - I was secretly hoping for an out of control, ranting Sheik, but he was very quiet. Thanks to Terence for bringing him in.

Virgil - Figure - I actually had a good experience with him. When he saw my figure, he started pointing and saying, "Hasbro, Hasbro, Hasbro." He took it around and showed it to everyone. The lady at the DirecTV table didn't seem that excited. When I was waiting for Brickhouse to get there, I tried to get some work done off to the side. Virgil asked to borrow my computer, so we talked for a few minutes. He is probably a little hyperactive, but was a nice guy.

Brickhouse Brown - Shoot Interview DVD - Highspots brought him in to shoot the second season of Brickhouse TV. He didn't get there until the show was over. Me and another guy were the only ones that waited on him.

Erik Watts - Card - He told me to name my price when I asked him how much I owed him.

Johnny Swinger - Card - He refused to take any money from me when I offered.

Mike Sanders made a brief appearance. I guess he just showed up to see some of the guests. Two guys there from Rhode Island recognized him and got photo ops. I looked for him after the second autograph session, but he was gone.

I can't speak for how the yoga session with DDP and Kimberly went because I didn't stay. I went back to Gwinnett for another baseball game. Tony Schiavone is one of the radio broadcasters, but there was no access to him at the stadium.

This was my first real wrestling convention. I had a blast. All the other fans I talked to had a great time also. The talent seemed to be in good moods. They had plenty of time to talk to each other because there weren't as many pesky fans bothering them. The promoter and vendors couldn't have been happy with the turnout. The promoter, Drew, seemed like a good guy. I hope he didn't take too big of a financial hit. He said Promolast would be moving on from Atlanta. I could be selfish and suggest Memphis, Tennessee, but I won't. The fans in Memphis are very enthusiastic about their wrestling history, but I doubt enough people have the disposable income to support a show like this.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » June 7th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Molly Holly is like a fine wine....better with age.

And man, Luger is looking better and better. Good for him. His signature is looking much better too. I hope someone brings Luger in around this area.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

thenightmare

Post by thenightmare » June 7th, 2010, 10:05 pm

cmshowstopper wrote:Molly Holly is like a fine wine....better with age.

And man, Luger is looking better and better. Good for him. His signature is looking much better too. I hope someone brings Luger in around this area.
I second that, Molly looks great, Thanks for the report.

jayallen

Post by jayallen » June 8th, 2010, 12:30 am

really good report. Thanks for posting

gocubs

Post by gocubs » June 10th, 2010, 4:30 pm

This is a report (mail order item)

I just received my item back in the mail today from the Promolast Convention on June 7th (received item back 4 days after convention). I had Booker T and Chief Jay Strongbow sign my toy ring. I found out about the Promolast Convention in Atlanta from wrestlingfigs.com. I would just like to commend and thank the promoter, J Drew Feldman, for a great job in completing my mail order item. He had great communication (answering emails in the same day) and was very organized (confirmation number on package). I would recommend and trust him with any items that I might have in the future. I wish nothing but success for Promolast and hope they come to Chicago soon for a convention.

Obviously, Drew has listened to James and LOTR's advice about how to handle mail order items.

kingofoldschool
Learning To Mark Out

Post by kingofoldschool » June 10th, 2010, 6:52 pm

I also did a mail order for this show. I Sent 2 programs to get signed 1 for Lex Luger ( NJPW) and one for Paul Orndorff ( WWE HOF program) The Promoter promptly responded to my emails and had great communication with him. He emailed me when my package arrived, and e-mailed me the day it was sent. I got my package within 3 days. I was very pleased with them. I would recommend and trust him with any items that I might have in the future.

jackie treehorn
Learning To Mark Out

Post by jackie treehorn » June 10th, 2010, 8:37 pm

thanks for the news.