Mikey's Classic Brushes With Greatness (Breaking Bad Season 3 Premiere; June 2010)

Place to find reports on meets of the past.
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Mikey's Classic Brushes With Greatness (Breaking Bad Season 3 Premiere; June 2010)

Post by mikeyicon » November 2nd, 2016, 9:32 pm

Before it took on a life of its own thanks to word of mouth and Netflix, I was absolutely in love with this new show on AMC called Breaking Bad. Since I knew very little about it, but it was on AMC and I liked Mad Men (and also since Bryan Cranston win an Emmy for this show I never heard of!), I figured I would give it a shot. That first scene let alone that first season of Breaking Bad hooked me and I fell in love with this show. And at this time, NOBODY was really watching it. I remember talking to anybody I knew that they had to check out this amazing show, some did it right away and understood, others had to wait until it hit Netflix and hear it from the masses to watch it. When I had an opportunity via a friend to attend the Breaking Bad Season 3 Premiere and watch it two days before it aired in NYC in some rinky dink church converted to a community center, of course I just had to go. Could there possibly be a chance some of the actors from the show would be there? Maybe, that would just be a bonus for what seemed to be a cool event.

My friends and I arrived and were relieved that our names were on the guest list. Sometimes, things don’t always turn out the way they are supposed to. I walked in and noticed a lot of people there simply for the free drinks and not really that interested at all about the show. From the corner of my eye, I see three familiar faces chatting. Bryan Cranston aka Walter White, Aaron Paul aka Jesse Pinkman, and Show Creator Vince Gilligan. WOW! Somebody turned down the lights, made a quick speech (it may have been Vince Gilligan), and I got to watch the first episode actually very close to the brilliant people who were a part of it as you can see from the photo.
Watching Bad.jpg
Watching Bad
Watching Bad.jpg (1.87 MiB) Viewed 1799 times
After the amazing season premiere, a lot of the people either left or went to get a drink. I walked up to Aaron Paul, and told him how much I loved the show and was trying to get more people to watch. Keep in mind, this was before he won Emmys for his role. He indicated we needed to keep spreading the word, because at that time, Breaking Bad was not the juggernaut it would become and there was a chance the show might not stay on the air. We had a ten minute conversation about his role, even his love for the show, and of course got another great photo.
Me with Aaron Paul.jpg
Aaron Paul
Me with Aaron Paul.jpg (886.75 KiB) Viewed 1799 times
Next up, Vince Gilligan who nobody was even chatting with, but I had to thank him and praise him for creating this amazing TV show. He really is a good guy! At this time, there was absolutely no Breaking Bad merchandise in stores and I was buying custom shirts on-line. On the documentary on the Season One DVD, Vince was wearing a Walter White T-shirt. I asked him where I could get my hands on one. He told me to give me my address and he would ship one out to me, but then remembered there were some trademark issues with it and he couldn’t. He was very grateful and honored that I told him I thought The Wire was the greatest TV show of all time, but his creation easily outranks it.
Me & Vince Gilligan.jpg
Vince Gilligan
Me & Vince Gilligan.jpg (1.84 MiB) Viewed 1799 times
Last up, Bryan Cranston! I told him that I thought Jon Hamm on Mad Men should have won the EMMY, and not sure about this Cranston guy on this show I didn’t know much about. Upon watching, now I get it! We talked about Dexter and other shows, and just like you read about, he is one of the more down to earth hard working actors (BTW, read his book!) out there. Of course, he has become a much bigger star since then, so not sure if that’s still true.
Me & Bryan Cranston.jpg
Bryan Cranston
Me & Bryan Cranston.jpg (1.15 MiB) Viewed 1799 times
An amazing night, perhaps one of favorite celebrity experiences of all time. Took some fun photos and called it a night. Even better was as we were walking towards the train station, I saw a bundle of cash randomly on the street in front of a hotel. I assumed I was being taped for a hidden camera show, but didn’t see anything. No wallet or ID, just a bunch of bills which I believe was $200-$300 which of course I took which made for a even more legendary night.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Re: Mikey's Classic Brushes With Greatness (Breaking Bad Season 3 Premiere; June 2010)

Post by AsianDave » November 2nd, 2016, 9:43 pm

Simply insane! It's almost impossible to get Cranston these days! Then again, they both went on to do bigger things since BB ended! I still remember Cranston in Malcolm in the Middle and loved the show and wld've wanted to meet him even bfor BB fame!
Good stuff dude!

Greg2600

Re: Mikey's Classic Brushes With Greatness (Breaking Bad Season 3 Premiere; June 2010)

Post by Greg2600 » November 2nd, 2016, 11:54 pm

Wow great event. I watched a little in the beginning, then lost track. I wound up just waiting for it to end, and used FIOS VOD to rewatch the entire series shortly after it ended.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » November 3rd, 2016, 10:26 am

This is fantastic they used to do one for dexter as well over at showtime

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » November 3rd, 2016, 10:32 am

Well the problem is every thing is a damn gala now. This event probably cost AMC next to nothing.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » November 3rd, 2016, 11:05 am

yeah, there were some Dexter events n NYC I didn't go to but a friend did where he met Clyde Phillips (show runner) and the actors who played Masuka and Quinn that were very similar and it was more just taking a photo, but actually spending time talking with them. these events I believe still exist, but not as plentiful as they used to be. Remember, this was also when Breaking Bad was nowhere near the phenomenon it would become.