Mikey's Old-School Brushes With Greatness (Montreal with Jay Baruchel;2008)

Place to find reports on meets of the past.
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Mikey's Old-School Brushes With Greatness (Montreal with Jay Baruchel;2008)

Post by mikeyicon » November 1st, 2016, 7:21 pm

As I anticipate my days of collecting these photos and experiences not completely going away, but definitely slowing down due to focusing on more important things in life, I thought it would be cool to reflect and write about some of the experiences and share some stories on this board. For those that enjoy and I entertain, AWESOME! For those that are not interested, that’s fine too! Just hope more people enjoy than not so there is a point in doing this beside entertaining myself. I’m doing all of these Chiller recaps, but it’s also fun to do write-ups involving a unique experience meeting an actor, musician, or artist that I appreciate

My friends and I went on a fun excursion to Montreal in 2008. Of course, there are great stories to tell about the craziness of that city. But this forum is not about those kinds of stories, but about meeting and taking photos with famous people. We were walking down the main street and from the corner of my eye, I noticed a familiar face. I told my buddy I think that was the dude from Undeclared, Jay Baruchel. They said it couldn’t be. He was a little buzzed but just hanging outside a bar with two friends. I never had a problem with approaching people as long as the situation seems right, so I went up and said aren’t you Jay Baruchel? I believe this is what many of you call a random! He actually still lives in Montreal, and was just hanging out and surprised but excited somebody recognized him. So for the next ten minutes, we hung out with him and talked. He asked where we were from, I told him about my little town in New Jersey. He told me that he knew where that it was. I told him he was full of crap. But no, he actually did know and told me he had been there with his pal, Seth and mentioned something that only a person who had been there would know. Of course, he was talking about being there with his pal, Seth Rogen. It was just a cool celeb encounter. I busted his chops that he went from being in Oscar-winning movies like Million Dollar Baby and Almost Famous to being stuck in Judd Apatow movies. Just really cool. I asked if he didn’t mind taking a photo, he said absolutely not. Back then, all I had was a flip phone, didn’t have a state of the art smart phone or camera like we all do today. I got a great photo with him on a crappy phone. I still feel bad because my buddy gave me his cell phone and I took the photo for him, and somehow he didn’t have space on his phone and it never came out.

Jay told us to stick around and hang with him and his pals, but we decided to move on. But pretty cool, and icing on the cake on a great Montreal trip. Soon after, he appeared in Tropic Thunder, and his career blew up doing the voice in How To Train a Dragon, starring in and writing Goon, and now starring in a great new comedy on FX, Man Seeking Woman. Funny actor, and nice guy!

Jay Baruchel.jpg
Jay Baruchel
Jay Baruchel.jpg (46.7 KiB) Viewed 1251 times

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Re: Mikey's Old-School Brushes With Greatness (Montreal with Jay Baruchel;2008)

Post by AsianDave » November 1st, 2016, 8:23 pm

Always love walking down memory lane, and ur flashback reports always remind me as such! As extensive as Jay's movie credits are, I'm very disappointed that u failed to mentioned two very nerdy, geeky comedy classics: Fanboy (like c'mon man! This was about a group on friends embarking on an epic road trip to Comic Con!! An ultimate fan favorite if anything!) And my other favorite, She's Out of My League! Who doesn't love a movie about some nerdy, geeky loser dude who ended up with the sexy, gorgeous babe?!?! Yeah, no chance in hell majority of us will end up like that (it only happens in movies), but we can dream can we not? Plus, this movie was filmed in my town so I might be a bit bias. LOL
So, it was really cool that u got to meet the ultimate movie nerd! Kudos dude!

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » November 1st, 2016, 9:33 pm

If I wanted to go through his total list of credits, besides the good ones you mentioned, there is also is This Is The End, Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist, Knocked Up, Night At The Museum 2, yadda yadda yadda. Yeah it was cool. I'm glad you enjoy these flashbacks, I have plenty more, and am in a writing mood and might as well get some more traction out of these memories. Thanks.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » November 2nd, 2016, 12:34 am

Jay is fantastic, very funny actor. Great in "This is the End." Very cool story, and one that rarely can happen in New York unless you're way off the beaten path.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » November 2nd, 2016, 9:27 am

yeah, it was fun. I know many don't agree with me and that's okay, but the photograph should represent a story and be the bonus which is why I'm very particular about how I approach it. Definitely a fan of his before, now that he has become a much bigger star, it's even better.

Do you like to read? Do you know who Shep Gordon is? There also was a good documentary about him directed by Mike Myers and book he just put out, They Call Me Supermencsh. He's what you call a mensch beyond being Alice Cooper's manager. I try to do the same types of things, and you'd be surprised it works more times than it doesn't, but again it also has to be the right situation. Standing at a barricade after a show in NYC with hundreds of people, or a Comic Con, it's never going to be more than a quick photo or maybe an autograph which you already know.

Do your best to put others before yourself and show genuine interest, and it works I'd say 75%. 25% of the times, it's just not the right situation or some people are simply just real a-holes and not worth the effort. :)