Mikey's Third Chiller Experience (October, 2009) (Interviewing An 80's Film Star)

Place to find reports on meets of the past.
mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Mikey's Third Chiller Experience (October, 2009) (Interviewing An 80's Film Star)

Post by mikeyicon » September 11th, 2016, 8:17 pm

With my third Chiller Show experience on the horizon, I determined I would try a new strategy to get photos and chat with legends from my childhood for this new collection/hobby of mine by purchasing my first Friday pre-show ticket. Since I was out of work at the time, getting there around 4:00-5:00 definitely wouldn't be a problem. Also, I was spending a lot of time writing as well as attempting to create a unique podcast about pop culture. So I figured I could combine my lack of steady income along with my growing passion for writing and talking about 80's stuff to hopefully enjoy an even better experience this time around. Remember, although 80's websites and podcasts were available already, the internet wasn't as saturated with this stuff as much as it is now. I would purchase my first pre-show ticket, and attempt to do an interview with a Chiller guest, preferably Lawrence Monoson from The Last American Virgin or Clayton Rohner from Just One Of The Guys. My attitude has always been to show genuine interest and ask politely keeping expectations low. The worse scenario would be they say NO!!! My theory about going early also to get photos included the fact that the retro celebs probably didn't even know the rules nor would care about taking a simple photo with no real crowds in sight. And with me being the first fan who showed genuine interest in their career approaching them, it should be easy to pull off. I still considered myself a newbie who was throwing darts to see what would make for the most cost-saving and enjoyable time as well as expand on my first two Chiller show experiences.

NOTE: Photos have been cropped to protect those who don't want their photo to be on a public forum like this!!!
Mickey Rooney.jpg
Mickey Rooney
Mickey Rooney.jpg (74.24 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Clayton Rohner: Before my dad, brother, and friends got there, I walked the show by my lonesome scouting and making conversation with some of the guests. The first person I went to see was a guy who to me is a film legend, Clayton Rohner. Just One Of The Guys is one of my favorite films of all times thanks to HBO continually replaying it during a time when I could spend more time and energy rewatching the arts that brought me joy. Clayton Rohner played the great Rick Morehouse in the film. We had a great conversation, and as he's not really a big name to many and because I was in early, we talked a bit about the film with nobody bothering us. I asked him it it would be alright to interview him for a project I was working on since there was never any DVD extras about the production of the film, and this was long before Buzzfeed. He was honored and told me to come back later, and he would definitely do it. I asked if he truly would remember me later when it got crowded, and he said not a problem. Wow! An opportunity to record an interview with one of my favorite actors was going to be sweet. Anything else at the show was going to be a bonus!
Clayton Rohner.jpg
Clayton Rohner
Clayton Rohner.jpg (420.76 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Bruce Kulick:KISS has been a big part of my life ever since 1988, and I'm one of a rare few that actually became interested in them before even knowing about the 70's era with the make-up, blood spitting, and flaming guitars. I had actually attended a Bruce Kulick guitar seminar in a local mall back in 1989, and had gotten him to autograph some cassette notes for me then. Strange how I didn't even think back then to even get a photo opp. So, this time at Chiller, I figured I'd make up for it. He arrived at his table right as I walked up, and I hit him up chatting about his career and of course wanting his opinion of the current state of the band. I even mentioned the guitar seminar which he did remember unless he was being nice. Since I had chatted his ear off and advised him I already had his autograph from way back when, would he be so kind to take a photo with me for free? He told me it was lucky I got him early, and since I was a legitimate fan of his, he took the photo with me. Ironically, later that night when my brother chatted with him, he laughed and remembered me and my zany questions, but would not do a free photo for my brother. Hmm, perhaps my theory of getting there early enough was a good one?
Bruce Kulick.jpg
Bruce Kulick
Bruce Kulick.jpg (663.92 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Victoria: Another fun experience was talking to Victoria/Tara the former WWF diva and TNA knockout. I began seeing that some of these handlers were trying to hawk stuff at you and give you the look that if you aren't buying an autograph, get lost!!! Not the case here! Tara/Victoria was legitimately cool, having a great conversation about her debut as one of the Godfather's hoes, and how the current product sucks. I'm sure I could have gotten a free photo, but the conversation was good enough. Lucky me, my sister-in-law was taking candid photos of me and my brother in conversation with her.
tara3.jpg
Victoria
tara3.jpg (99.94 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Marshall Bell: As I went over to talk some more to Clayton Rohner and confirm we were still on for our interview session, somehow I got into a great conversation with the classic "That Guy" actor, Marshall Bell. The two of them worked together on the USA Show, G Vs. E back in the late 90's. He's also been in tons of personal favorites like Twins, Airheads, Johnny B. Good, Stand By Me, and Total Recall. But of course, I was most interested in discussing his role in Nightmare On Elm Street 2. He was very adamant when I asked him if the director truly was clueless about the script of the film he was leading about it being a movie about Freddy representing coming out of the closet for a teenager, he indicated everybody knew except this idiot who helmed the movie. He went on and on giving me a lot of great information, and in hindsight, I should have recorded the interview with him. I probably got have also gotten a free photo since he didn't have an agent at his table and legitimately was engaged in conversation with me about his career. Oh well!

Lawrence Monoson: Another personal favorite 80's film of mine is The Last American Virgin. I won't bore you with a detailed history of the film stemming from an Israeli set of movies called Lemon Popsicle, but the film has what I consider one of the most unique and real film endings of all time. An ending that would NEVER happen in today's cinema world. Lawrence Monoson, who played Gary, was at the show making his first appearance, with very little traction at his table. He told me he'd be happy to do an interview with me about the film if needed, but in the meantime we had an engaging conversation with him for about half an hour about his career and the classic ending. Of course, he took a photo with us at no cost which was greatly appreciated. Ironically, he wasn't in the best of shape and suffering from some personal issues, but was still very kind and generous to us.
Monoson (1).jpg
Lawrence Monoson
Monoson (1).jpg (410.45 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Clayton Rohner Interview: The time had come, I would get to interview Clayton Rohner. We sat at his table for about 45 minutes and discussed his career and I got some great details/ There had never been much on-line about the making of Just One Of The Guys, nor any DVD bonus features or commentary either. We spoke not just about the classic film, but also about his other work including April Fool's Day, G Vs. E, Star Trek: The Next Generation. If you would like to read the transcript of the interview, here are the links:

http://misenpopic.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... shizz.html

http://misenpopic.blogspot.com/2009/11/ ... zz_04.html

http://mentalfloss.com/article/56480/18 ... t-one-guys

I'm proud to say when more and more stuff came out about the film in later years, my interview was even referenced on Mental Floss and Twitter. Of course, I got photos of me interviewing him, and the photo with him he did for free. I didn't even care about an autograph nor thought to have him do it for me. I'd eventually purchase a Just One Of The Guys poster which I would get signed by other cast members at future shows. I'm hoping he eventually returns to a future Chiller Show so we can reconnect, and I can add his John Hancock to my poster already signed by Joyce Hyser, ZABKA, and Toni Hudson. Just an amazing experience, and built my confidence that perhaps I could do more of this stuff in the future.
Rohnerinterview2.jpg
Interviewing Clayton Rohner
Rohnerinterview2.jpg (58.92 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Davy Jones: Since I was riding high after my interview with Clayton Rohner also saving money I might have even spent to get a photo, I figured why not use some my budgeted money and perhaps get a photo with Davy Jones. I know my brother and his future wife wanted it, so I agreed to give some money and get in the photo as well. I've always loved Davy Jones, not just because of his work with The Monkees, but his classic tune "Girl" from the legendary Brady Bunch episode. I think the photo cost was $25 or $30. My brother did most of the talking about seeing him perform. Although he was nice, he seemed kind of disinterested and nodding his head making it appear he actually cared what we were talking about, and we could tell he was just running the motions. Anyway, we got a few photos taken which I'm happy we got as he passed away a year or two later. RIP Davy Jones and thanks for the memories!!!!
Davey Jones3.jpg
Davy Jones
Davey Jones3.jpg (27.75 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Tia Carrere: We got Marcia Brady's crush, why not get another photo since I saved on the two important ones I got for nothing, Rohner and Monoson. Tia Carrere was a personal favorite from True Lies, but of course I also adored her as Cassandra in the Wayne's World movies. My brother's girlfriend was a fan of Dancing With The Stars and wanted to chat with her a bit as well. My brother and I split the photo and I thought I would impress her playing her tune Why You Want To Break My Heart on my ipod while we took the photo. I entertained myself, but don't think she cared that much.
Tia Carrere (1).jpg
Tia Carrere
Tia Carrere (1).jpg (54.03 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Other Show Notes:

I had a good conversation with Pamela Des Barres about some of the musicians she slept with as her only real claim to fame is being one of the most famous groupies ever.

Robin Sherwood also agreed to do a podcast with me, but since the only thing I really knew about her was the rape scene in Death Wish II, I never returned to follow up.

Joan Severance was very unpleasant which was a bummer since I was a fan of hers. As we spoke, and she seemed disengaged and not very kind to begin with, my mouth started moving quicker than my brain. When I asked her if Gene Wilder really had an erection during her nude scene in See No Evil, Hear No Evil, she was repulsed and pretty much gave me the signal to get the hell away from her table if I wasn't going to buy anything.

Anne Margaret made his first appearance at Chiller, but not only could you not take photos WITH her, you were not allowed to even take photos OF her.

Patrick Stewart was never seen, and I remember the insane costs he was charging. I wasn't interested anyway, but he did have the biggest line at the show.

Richard Dreyfuss might have been the biggest name Chiller ever brought in (Well, that might have changed now with Tim Curry showing at the upcoming Chiller Show). He is a freaking OSCAR Winner! He was donating all of his money to some political charity, but he seemed to be having fun.
Richard Dreyfuss.jpg
Richard Dreyfuss
Richard Dreyfuss.jpg (32.14 KiB) Viewed 1573 times
Even with just a few photos, having the opportunity to interview Clayton Rohner, and interacting with more actors from movies that were on the NetFlix Playlist Of My Life made me realize this Chiller thing was legit. My third Chiller show definitely was the best up to that point, and I anticipated what was up next!!!!

Chiller Millennial Recap
Biggest Names I Needed To Meet: Clayton Rohner*, Davy Jones*, Bruce Kulick*
Photos Gotten: Clayton Rohner, Lawrence Monoson, Davy Jones, Bruce Kulick, Tia Carrere, Tara (Victoria)
Coulda/Woulda/Shoulda: Marshall Bell
MVP: Clayton Rohner
MVP (2): Tara (Victoria)
MVP (3): Marshall Bell
Biggest Douche: Joan Severance
Biggest Line: Patrick Stewart
Top Billed Name: Patrick Stewart
Rookie: Jim Kelly
Best Of The Rest: Pamela Des Barres, Richard Dreyfuss, Howard Hesseman, Lance Guest, Catherine Mary-Stuart, Anne Margret, Mickey Rooney, Patrick Stewart, Dawn Wells, David Johansen, Elvira, Peter Fonda
Rating: A+

Greg2600

Re: Mikey's Third Chiller Experience (October, 2009) (Interviewing An 80's Film Star)

Post by Greg2600 » September 11th, 2016, 11:16 pm

Wow, what a lineup there! Just One Of The Guys also a favorite of mine! I'll give the interview a listen.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Re: Mikey's Third Chiller Experience (October, 2009) (Interviewing An 80's Film Star)

Post by AsianDave » September 12th, 2016, 8:37 am

totally agree with Greg! Just Dreyfus, Rooney and Fonda alone! WOW!!! :yikes:

the Chiller shows of years past really puts the current ones to shame! Granted, the guests they bring in now are more for the current fans, but it doesn't make it any better, sadly. :chores:

mikeyicon
Marked Out Pro

Post by mikeyicon » September 12th, 2016, 7:29 pm

Remember, these shows weren't as popular as they have become, they didn't have to worry about exclusive Wizard World and other shows or competition. It's tough now, but I think per the connections and network Chiller has with certain marketing firms and guys like Scotty Schwarz who has some pull, they will continue to get good guests. I personally like the 70's and 80's and more obscure actors anyway, and even a bad guest list can still make for a great show for me. I mean for god's sake, this Chiller Show has Tim Curry, I truly never thought that would ever happen! When you see my recap for my sixth and seventh Chiller shows, those guest lists were freaking amazing, and by that time, I figured out to get the most bang for my buck.