Disney+ streaming service shows announced.

Discuss your favorite TV shows from the past and the present.
lanza218
Site Admin

Disney+ streaming service shows announced.

Post by lanza218 » April 17th, 2019, 8:21 am

In addition to a new Muppet show, new Falcon/Winter Soldier show, here is a list of non fiction show

JUST ...
IN THIS SECTION
Skip to content
Disney+ nonfiction annoucementsMarvel 616 is Among the Exciting Nonfiction Projects Just Announced for Disney+
APRIL 10, 2019
By Beth Deitchman

Disney+, The Walt Disney Company’s upcoming streaming service, set to launch in the U.S. later this year, has just revealed an incredible slate of nonfiction programming, including Marvel 616 (working title), an anthological documentary series that explores the intersection between Marvel’s rich legacy of stories, characters, and creators and the world outside our window. The series comes from Supper Club, the independent production company founded by David Gelb (Chef’s Table, Jiro Dreams of Sushi), Brian McGinn (Chef’s Table, Amanda Knox), and Jason Sterman (13th, Five Came Back), who have entered into an exclusive deal to create premium franchise-based and original-concept nonfiction programming for Disney+, as well as other platforms and networks across the worlds of Disney.

Supper Club

Marvel 616, produced in partnership with Marvel New Media, marks Supper Club’s first original series for Disney+, and they’ve assembled a diverse group of filmmakers to take us on a deep dive into the rich historical, cultural, and societal context that has become increasing woven into stories of the Marvel Universe.

Supper Club will also produce Earthkeepers, a cinematic documentary series that centers on the adventurous lives of the people changing the way we see the animal kingdom. Each episode will spotlight conservationists and the animals they’ve devoted their career to studying, giving us a greater sense of the personal trials and professional breakthroughs that come with protecting the planet’s most endangered species.

The additional original nonfiction series announced today for Disney+ feature fan-favorite talent, exotic locations, inspiring stories—and plenty of Disney magic. Here are all of the series we can’t wait to stream:

Be Our Chef
Angela Kinsey (The Office) presides over this delicious new competition series, which gives families the chance to create the next great Disney Parks dish. Be Our Chef invites families from diverse backgrounds to join a positive and playful Disney-inspired cooking competition at Walt Disney World. In each episode, two families will participate in a themed challenge based on their family traditions and the magic of Disney. The finalists will apply what they have learned to create a dish that represents their family through a Disney lens. The winner’s magical food creation will become a signature dish or treat served at Walt Disney World.

Cinema Relics: Iconic Art of the Movies(working title)
This anthology series that takes a unique look at beloved films—including Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, Mary Poppins, The Muppet Movie, Tron, and Who Framed Roger Rabbit—through the props and costumes (now modern ‘artifacts’) that made them unique. We’ll hear from the craftspeople who created them, the actors who interacted with them, and the collectors/archives who own and cherish them in the show, which will be hosted by film historian/collector Dan Lanigan.

Encore!
Our toes are already tapping over this series—executive produced by Kristen Bell (Frozen)—which brings together former castmates of a high school musical, tasking them with re-creating their original performance in a high school reunion like no other. Emotions run high as the former students face faded friendships, former flames, self-doubt, and killer choreography. Through it all, these unlikely groups of friends—with the help of Broadway’s best—just might pull off a standing-ovation-worthy performance of beloved musicals such as The Sound of Music, Beauty and the Beast, Annie, and more.

Marvel’s Hero Project
Even in the Marvel Universe, not all heroes wear capes, and this new series (also produced in partnership with Marvel New Media) spotlights real-life heroes who are making remarkable, positive changes in their own communities. These inspiring kids have dedicated their lives to selfless acts of bravery and kindness, and now, Marvel celebrates them as the true Super Heroes they are.

(Re)Connect
Every episode of (Re)Connect focuses on one family with a modern-day, relatable issue that’s driving a wedge between them. Issues range from workaholic parents, overly competitive siblings, technology addiction, or a family secret that has recently been revealed. All of these families have reached a breaking point, and it’s time for them to disconnect from their busy lives, devices, and outside influences in order to address their issues head-on. With the help of a specialized expert, each family will go on a unique journey that organically ties to the issues they are facing in order to confront the family’s dilemma. Can they finally come together as a family to overcome their obstacles… and reconnect? Real-life husband and wife Mark Consuelos and Kelly Ripa are among the producers of this compelling new series.

Rogue Trip
Bob Woodruff and his 27-year-old son, Mack, take fans to all the places the average tourist wouldn’t typically visit—frequently overlooked (and even misunderstood) destinations whose hidden corners surprise, amaze, and inspire. It’s the family vacation most of us are unlikely to take—but now is our chance to venture to these amazing locales via Disney+.

Shop Class (working title)
Youthful ingenuity is on display in this new competition series that features teams of inventive students tasked with designing, building, and testing new contraptions to vie for the title of Shop Class Champs. In each episode, they’ll present their work to a panel of experts who will rate their projects based on engineering, design, and the final test of the build.

Untitled Walt Disney Imagineering Documentary Series
A Disney fan’s dream, this documentary series looks at the more than 65-year history of Walt Disney Imagineering through parallel storylines focused on the people, the craft, and the business. Oscar®- and Emmy®-nominated director and producer Leslie Iwerks is creator of the series that will feature exclusive interviews and never-before-seen footage from Disney parks around the globe.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Re: Disney+ streaming service shows announced.

Post by class316 » April 18th, 2019, 4:25 pm

Within fans they are already calling Disney out on false advertising. Because they claim they will have "all" Disney content yet fans anticipate that won't apply to Song of the South and other so called "offensive" content.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » April 18th, 2019, 4:39 pm

I can see Disney offer parents a way to block mature content. I cannot see them or any other provider offering an option to block/allow RACIST content.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » April 18th, 2019, 5:11 pm

Imagine, Disney not wanting to add racist content to their streaming service. *eyeroll*

I’ll likely join this. The mix of old and original shows is pretty damn good.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » April 18th, 2019, 5:54 pm

WOODMO wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 5:11 pm
Imagine, Disney not wanting to add racist content to their streaming service. *eyeroll*

I’ll likely join this. The mix of old and original shows is pretty damn good.
To be fair Disney officially released ALL their old cartoon shorts completely uncensored. No other studio can really make that claim.

Whatever the case false advertising is false advertising.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » April 18th, 2019, 6:01 pm

Disney decision makers are laughing at you.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » April 18th, 2019, 6:02 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:01 pm
Disney decision makers are laughing at you.
They also laughed at Star Wars fans and they paid that price.

Bottom line is there is a very passionate fan base for their old stuff.

edit: article on this topic: https://www.inquisitr.com/5331343/disne ... -included/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » April 18th, 2019, 6:04 pm

What price did they pay with Star Wars?

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » April 18th, 2019, 6:09 pm

WOODMO wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:04 pm
He's delusional. The Star Wars content on this service will be one of the primary selling points (and it will sell), the other being Marvel.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » April 18th, 2019, 6:10 pm

WOODMO wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:04 pm
Last Jedi was completely slammed by fans, they laughed at that and went about their ways. As a result Solo movie was a box office bomb and they canceled the Boba Fett movie and revamped their plans for the next installment (to a point where they brought back JJ Abrams)
Greg2600 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:09 pm

He's delusional. The Star Wars content on this service will be one of the primary selling points (and it will sell), the other being Marvel.
haeh? This is delusional? Numbers for Solo

Budget $275–300 million
Box office $392.9 million

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » April 18th, 2019, 6:17 pm

Tell me what the new Star Wars series installment does. HUGE business per usual.

The shows will be huge too.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » April 18th, 2019, 6:21 pm

Solo was more a managerial failure by Lucasfilm. Last Jedi was a smashing success, and made a ton of money. They don't need a historically accurate Song of the South, because, again nobody cares.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » April 18th, 2019, 6:28 pm

WOODMO wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:17 pm
Tell me what the new Star Wars series installment does. HUGE business per usual.

The shows will be huge too.
I guess time will tell. But hard to point out a "usual" for Disney Star Wars. They have only had 4 movies. Of which 2 were hated by fans, one of which was a box office bomb (and of the 2 not hated, 1 garnered mixed emotions)

Their Star Wars Resistance show, again a result of them laughing at Star Wars fans, tanked in the ratings. TNA at their worst had better ratings than Star Wars Resistance. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Resistance

They are even making new episodes of the old Clone Wars TV show as a way to appease the fans they laughed at (which I'm actually excited for).
Greg2600 wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:21 pm
Solo was more a managerial failure by Lucasfilm. Last Jedi was a smashing success, and made a ton of money. They don't need a historically accurate Song of the South, because, again nobody cares.
Last Jedi was a success in terms of money, yes. But so was The Phantom Menace.

As for "nobody cares" about things like Song of the South, that is so factually false so I have no need to refute it.

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » April 18th, 2019, 6:52 pm

"Well, I was going to subscribe to your streaming service, but there just isn't enough 50 year old racist content on it, so I'm passing." - nobody

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » April 19th, 2019, 1:46 am

AJLe wrote:
April 18th, 2019, 6:52 pm
"Well, I was going to subscribe to your streaming service, but there just isn't enough 50 year old racist content on it, so I'm passing." - nobody
You mock but there is some truth to this statement. As sure as people will want to sign up to this for Star Wars, for Superheroes, etc, there are people that will want to sign up for classic Disney footage and/or golden age era Disney animation. Those people will want their realm of interest, and they will want it intact. And if those people don't get that, they will bitch and complain exactly as they have in the past when Disney and other studios either don't release stuff on DVD/blu/etc or release their stuff censored. It will basically be groundhog day but on a more modern medium. And basically not disimilar to how wrestling fans complain about all the edits on old wrestling footage (Chris Benoit, theme songs, logos, commentating, etc).

Will the older stuff make or break the streaming service? I would wager, No. But they will surely lose some business if they don't cater to that audience in some form. If the "nobody cares" belief of Greg or AJLe held any merit fans wouldn't be spending thousands of dollars to make their own 35mm film restorations of Song of the South nor would any Song of the South torrents exist. Nor would Disney have released all their cartoon shorts and made money off of them.

Side note, but Song of the South is also available on archive.org for those who want to easily check it out.