Ghostbusters" Reboot Cast Unveiled? from Dark Horizons

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
lanza218
Site Admin

Ghostbusters" Reboot Cast Unveiled? from Dark Horizons

Post by lanza218 » January 27th, 2015, 9:31 pm

Director Paul Feig has announced the cast in early talks for the "Ghostbusters" reboot at Sony Pictures which he's set to direct.

Feig used Twitter to reveal that "Bridesmaids" co-stars Kristen Wiig and Melissa McCarthy will lead the group which will also include "Saturday Night Live" cast mates Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon.

It's a complete reboot so the previous characters don't exist in this world, but cameos from actors Bill Murray, Dan Aykroyd, Ernie Hudson and Sigourney Weaver aren't out of the question. The main male role in the film has yet to be cast.

Hitfix has character breakdowns for the film with the leads being an academic on the tenure track at Columbia, an author who is more into the "pop parapsychology" of things, said author's ghost hunting partner, and an MTA employee who comes across the main ghost.

Other characters include a creepy mechanical genius, and a professional debunker of the supernatural - the role that Murray is wanted for. Filming is slated to kick off this summer in New York City.

Greg2600

Re: Ghostbusters" Reboot Cast Unveiled? from Dark Horizons

Post by Greg2600 » January 27th, 2015, 11:36 pm

Feig has been intimating this for a long time now, and he's worked with several of the women before. The movie will be horrible regardless, but it has zero chance of being applauded by most GB fans with the GB name attached. Why not just make a movie similar to GB without calling it Ghostbusters? Not for nothing, but despite the original film cast be composed mostly by comedic actors, the movie was still damn scary for kids. AND Ramis/Aykroyd could be taken seriously as scientists, which Hudson provided a legit blue collar character. Weaver and Murray had perfect chemistry. The movie was perfect, it's legendary. All this does is take the name and shit on it for money for Sony's disaster of a movie studio.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » January 28th, 2015, 6:43 pm

Everything is getting rebooted, in fact I read today Chris Pratt is being eyed for an Indiana Jones reboot, which sounds like a good match actually.

This is smart casting. It's not going to be closely compared to the original because it's women instead of men. Melissa McCarthy is a proven box office draw, and add her to the Ghostbuster brand, I am sure it does good numbers. Kristen Wiig is a solid second lead, and it brings both together with the director of Bridemaids which was a huge hit.

The other two I know nothing about, but I have little doubt this does good numbers in the box office. Will fans of the original like it as much? I doubt it, but it will probably be successful albeit far less redeeming. As for Greg's question about why not just use a different name. It's obvious, the brand is still huge and they can exploit it and gain even more than they would if they called it something totally different. That answer sucks for fans who don't want the legacy touched, but it's a business.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » January 28th, 2015, 8:53 pm

Have no interest in this or Indiana Jones reboot. I cant remember the last good reboot I have seen. The Fansastic Four tease didnt even excite me. Ferig said this is in a diff universe than the first 2 so wonder if any of the same iconic images are used: Ghost, packs, Ecto, etc. I feel this may be more of a slapstick comedy with seeing who is involved and the rumored roles

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » August 12th, 2015, 7:38 am

Akroyd and Murray have filmed cameos for the film. Still little interest on my end