The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Discuss movies you've seen or want to see
crowbar
Marked Out King

Re: The Recently Watched Movie Thread

Post by crowbar » May 8th, 2017, 8:48 pm

I think the box office effect of having sly in the film is just as much as having Vin Diesel voice Groot... which is minimal. Baby Groot crushed it btw... best opening scene I've seen in awhile.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » May 8th, 2017, 9:59 pm

Despite being vastly inferior to its predecessor, GOTGV2 was solid.

More good Rocket & Groot moments. Hasselhoff cameo vastly better than Sly's.

Sucks about Rooker. Enjoyed his Yondu.

Way too much Russell.

Loved seeing the Watchers finally making an appearance
:dj:

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » May 18th, 2017, 1:18 am

GOTG2 was a huge disappointment to me

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 22nd, 2017, 8:51 am

Haven't updated this in a while.

Saw Armageddon with Bruce Willis which was a lot of fun.

Saw The Outsiders with C Thomas Howell and Matt Dillon and I really enjoyed it.

Saw Cops and Robbersons with Chevy Chase. Not great, but I always enjoy Chase so it was a solid watch.

Saw The Bounce Back with Shemar Moore. Completely and totally paint by numbers with many movies doing everything it did better. Some scenes were so cheesy. I never mind a romantic comedy though so I didn't mind watching it, just wouldn't recommend it.

Saw Gifted with Chris Evans which was very good.

Saw Me Before You which was a good romantic drama with Emilia Clarke.

Saw Beauty & The Beast with Emma Watson which was excellent. Disney never misses on these live action films.

Saw Major League with Charlie Sheen which was great. Somehow I never saw it before.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » May 22nd, 2017, 9:34 am

Didn't you grow up playing baseball? And didn't see Major League? Vhat!!

The Outsiders is intolerable until they get to the rumble.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » May 24th, 2017, 1:25 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
May 22nd, 2017, 9:34 am

Don't ask how, but I never saw it.

I started The Great Wall with Matt Damon, I heard all the bad reviews but thought it might be fun....It wasn't..... I gave up 40 minutes in, just bad.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » May 24th, 2017, 10:22 pm

Saw Aliens Covenant. Meh.pretty dumb. Movie was overal fine but really just dumb

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » May 27th, 2017, 12:46 pm

WOODMO wrote:
May 24th, 2017, 1:25 pm
Greg2600 wrote:
May 22nd, 2017, 9:34 am

Don't ask how, but I never saw it.

I started The Great Wall with Matt Damon, I heard all the bad reviews but thought it might be fun....It wasn't..... I gave up 40 minutes in, just bad.
Sadly I have to agree with u there! It was just a bad movie, ddnt make a whole hell a lot of sense. The horde of monsters was downright ridiculous! But Visually, it was stunning and I love these Chinese period pieces. But yeah overall, it was bad.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » May 30th, 2017, 1:51 pm

Saw Logan finally the other night. As most feel, terrific film. Jackman is simply unmatched, easily the best comic film actor of his generation. Sad to see him leave the genre, but as an uber fan of films like The Prestige and Prisoners, happy to know he'll be doing more roles from now on. Patrick is great as well, just really well done. There's a B&W film noir version which when I have time I will probably watch as well.

Saw Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 the following night in theater with friends. We saw it in 2D, but honestly 3D really makes little difference to me. I really enjoyed the movie, though my friends were very MEH on it. To me, this was like watching a feature length (live action) 80's cartoon. It really had the same feel and story dynamics, so well done! Kurt Russell was fantastic as always, and Bautista was ROFL funny. Rooker great as well. Downside to me were the Stallone appearance (pointless), and honestly the ending and the end credits were both incredibly lame. Love the franchise, but not pleased I may be forced to watch another vapid Avengers movie to see them next.

Saw Alien: Covenant in theater as well, it was only released in 2D. First off, the script was co-written by John Logan, and one of the things he often does is to pen a lot of homages and such into sequel scripts. Both he and the composer did this, with the plot seemingly a combined rehash of Alien and Aliens, the Cameron film. The music also re-used quite a bit of the old Goldsmith compositions. As for the film itself, I thought it was perfectly fine. Ridley is damned if he does or does not. People bitched about Prometheus because it wasn't an "Alien" film. He made this one a full-on "Alien" film, and they bitched anyway. I think the opening 30 minutes were dull and probably could have been cut. However, once the crew lands on the planet, the action and story picked up quickly, and was a lot of fun to watch. The ending setup the next sequel, which I still hope Mr. Scott can make, and complete his prequel trilogy to Alien.

Saw Passengers a few weeks ago, it was decent, nothing great. J-Law kind of carried the emotional side of the film.

AsianDave
Marked Out Master

Post by AsianDave » May 30th, 2017, 9:27 pm

Geez dude! U work part time as a movie critic or something! A simple "I enjoyed it" wldve more than suffice! LOL
But I did say in my previous comments about this movie that it did not make any sense having Sly play the role he did. So that much we both agree...

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 1st, 2017, 9:56 am

Saw Life with Jake Gylenhaal and Ryan Reynolds. My expectations were kind of high, but I thought the film was trash. Just ordinary and disappointing in pretty much every conceivable way. The concept had potential but it just got cliche and bad.

Saw Secret Window with Johnny Depp. I called the twist about 10 minutes in, but still found it enjoyable in the thriller sense. Solid watch overall.

Saw Rush with Chris Hemsworth. Now I know absolutely nothing about car racing and I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the story, but I found it riveting and well acted.

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » June 1st, 2017, 10:12 am

AsianDave wrote:
May 30th, 2017, 9:27 pm
Geez dude! U work part time as a movie critic or something! A simple "I enjoyed it" wldve more than suffice! LOL
But I did say in my previous comments about this movie that it did not make any sense having Sly play the role he did. So that much we both agree...
I copy/pasted from responses I made to more "film-centric" forums!
WOODMO wrote:
June 1st, 2017, 9:56 am
Saw Rush with Chris Hemsworth. Now I know absolutely nothing about car racing and I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the story, but I found it riveting and well acted.
Though I AM a fan, I enjoyed it but was not blown away.

Last night I saw Concussion (Will Smith) all the way through for the first time, and that was a great story and a great film.

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » June 1st, 2017, 10:33 pm

The past few months I went retro and watched the Reeves Superman from my blu ray boxset

I saw

Superman: Theatrical
Superman: Extended Edition
Superman II: Theatrical
Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
Superman III

Donner Cut was interesting but added the cringe worthy time reversal thing from the first movie. Ugh! I wish they would add the Marlin Brando scenes into the Theatrical release this would be a good version of Superman II.

Have not found the courage to watch Superman IV though.
Last edited by class316 on June 2nd, 2017, 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » June 2nd, 2017, 1:42 pm

I saw Guardians of the Galaxy 2 yesterday. It was fun, but not as good as the first one. Bautista was great, as was Rooker, and everyone else was kind of what you would expect. I am not sure where I rank this all time for me Marvel wise. I don't think I'd put it above the Thor films and definitely not GOTG1 and Ant-Man. I suppose I would place it around the Captain America films in some sort of 5-7 place ranking.

djknightrida
Marked Out Master

Post by djknightrida » June 4th, 2017, 9:26 am

Gave the comedy Masterminds a shot. Not amazing but an easy to veg out movie after a long con day
:dj: