The Gathering 2- August 13-16, 2020- Charlotte, NC

This is the place to discuss Conventions
WOODMO
Site Admin

Re: The Gathering 2- August 13-16, 2020- Charlotte, NC

Post by WOODMO » February 25th, 2020, 12:10 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 11:09 am
I hope that the promoter got the okay to use Ken's name in the story before going public.

PS: both Bushwackers is EPIC!! I myself would be too fearful of a cancelation to book a flight down there.
I really hope they do something else up here. That dual op would be a biggie.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » February 25th, 2020, 12:30 pm

Greg2600 wrote:
February 25th, 2020, 11:09 am
PS: both Bushwackers is EPIC!! I myself would be too fearful of a cancelation to book a flight down there.
Yep. I was going to go mainly for Lanza, Bushwhackers, and Kevin Von Erich. I still may go but we'll see. I have the time off.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » March 1st, 2020, 6:31 pm

T-Mart is now advertising photo ops with the York Foundation, The Buschwackers, Doom, Brooke Adams w/ the TNA Women's Title, The Sheepherders (not sure what the difference will be), The Heavenly Bodies (Lane & Pritchard), The Heavenly Bodies w/Cornette, Ted Dibiase with the Million Dollar Title & Animal w/Paul Ellering.

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro

Post by Anthony18 » March 1st, 2020, 10:54 pm

mrira wrote:
March 1st, 2020, 6:31 pm
T-Mart is now advertising photo ops with the York Foundation, The Buschwackers, Doom, Brooke Adams w/ the TNA Women's Title, The Sheepherders (not sure what the difference will be), The Heavenly Bodies (Lane & Pritchard), The Heavenly Bodies w/Cornette, Ted Dibiase with the Million Dollar Title & Animal w/Paul Ellering.
Yeah it is interesting they mention Bushwackers and Sheepherders separately...

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » March 30th, 2020, 5:18 pm

The Gathering Update.
With the announcement yesterday that some states will remain shut down until April 30th or maybe longer , we have really started to wonder when these bans will be lifted and how long people will be out of work. The most important thing is not a event but the health and life of everyone. People getting jobs back and being able to walk outside and do so without being in fear of catching this deadly virus that has shut down the United States and other Countries. That comes first and I just want you all to know that.

I have to be honest with everyone as none of us saw this situation coming and I really appreciate all the support since I announced I would be running the first Gathering last year in Charlotte. Tmart Promotions and The Gathering is run by one person only and that’s me. Yes I have people who help out with things but the decisions , the investment the work , the planning is all done by one person only and that’s me.

Now I’m in a spot right now cause after last year successful show we decided we would try and make year two even bigger because of the fan support last year and getting hopefully a lot more new fans this year. Now I look at things and with all going on the economy is crushed right now , people are not working and none of us know when they will be going back to work. I want to run the Gathering for the next 10 years hopefully at the Hilton University Place and the hotel wants us there each year. Problem is with all going on and if by Summer we are starting to get back to normal I have major concerns that the show will still take a hit with the budget we have for the event and with people not being able to spend like they may have wanted to do if things were normal.

So I am not looking to do the full event as planned and take a chance on this being the last one because in all honesty none of us know what’s coming. I have a family and myself to also think about in this situation.

My plan is as of today to go on with the event cause I know a lot of you guys and girls really look forward to this weekend each year as do I. If things get better soon and we are able to have the event in August we will go with it but we are going to have downsize the budget for the event in order to not cancel it 100%. By August I think a lot of us will be looking forward to getting out, having fun a wrestling convention again and seeing our family reunion get back together for one fun filled weekend.

Some people might not be happy with some of the changes that will come but again none of us saw something like this happening to financially hit and hurt millions of people that two months ago were working and going on with a normal life. If something is changed for the event we plan on having that change take place at the 2021 event.

As of now this is the situation we are in and we are going to go through April looking a a lot of things over and see how things are looking come May.
Wanted to be upfront and honest with you all from now.
Thank you all for the support as always
Everyone stay safe and we will all get through these tough times together
Tmart

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » March 30th, 2020, 6:33 pm

Marty has always been a huge stand up guy and big time props to him for having the sense to realize his show, even in August, has to be affected whether it’s the virus or the economy and for putting people on notice now what to expect.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » March 30th, 2020, 8:23 pm

oldschoolwwwf wrote:
March 30th, 2020, 6:33 pm
Marty has always been a huge stand up guy and big time props to him for having the sense to realize his show, even in August, has to be affected whether it’s the virus or the economy and for putting people on notice now what to expect.
Agreed 100%
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro

Post by Jason1980s » March 30th, 2020, 8:35 pm

I know I'm a bit late to the BlackJack Lanza discussion but my only real memory of him was acting like a dick towards the heel midgets at WrestleMania III. It was obvious that they seemed legit concerned for Little Beaver and even if not why ruin a guys chance to be in front of 90,000 by acting like a dick. Lanza was waving his hand furiously to them to come out of the ring while having this angry look on his face. It reminded me a lot of the guy walking wrestlers to the ring at WrestleMania, the first one, and he would just push fans hands aside as they tried to touch the wrestlers.
It's a shame he had to pull the stunt he did. At 80+ years old either you want to go or you don't. If you don't, then say so. Don't keeping pulling angles with the money situation. And it's a shame it had to involve a friend of his, Ken. I'm sure it put him in a bad spot.

If this does go on I would love to see the Bushwhackers photos. Other than WrestleMania I don't think Butch has done anything wrestling related in states for almost 20 years.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro

Post by Anthony18 » March 31st, 2020, 11:35 am

oldschoolwwwf wrote:
LOTR should give us a statement about their show like Marty has.

WOODMO
Site Admin

Post by WOODMO » March 31st, 2020, 11:46 am

Anthony18 wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 11:35 am
oldschoolwwwf wrote:
This says it all from their website.

COVID-19 UPDATE / AS OF NOW WE ARE STILL ON AS SCHEDULED, WE WILL REMAIN ON AS PLANS UNTIL TOLD NOT TO

Not to get off topic, but I get the feel over the years and from this statement, that LOTR won't adjust their plans unless the state is literally still barring public gatherings. Marty IMO handled this perfectly, but LOTR I feel will stick to their guns no matter what.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » March 31st, 2020, 12:00 pm

It seems like LOTR has a lot riding on their upcoming show, so it wouldn't shock me if they wait until the last possible second

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro

Post by Anthony18 » March 31st, 2020, 12:15 pm

ICW wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 12:00 pm
It seems like LOTR has a lot riding on their upcoming show, so it wouldn't shock me if they wait until the last possible second
It’s in late June. God willing by then there will be some semblance of normalcy.

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » March 31st, 2020, 1:10 pm

WOODMO wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 11:46 am
Anthony18 wrote:
March 31st, 2020, 11:35 am
oldschoolwwwf wrote:
This says it all from their website.

COVID-19 UPDATE / AS OF NOW WE ARE STILL ON AS SCHEDULED, WE WILL REMAIN ON AS PLANS UNTIL TOLD NOT TO

Not to get off topic, but I get the feel over the years and from this statement, that LOTR won't adjust their plans unless the state is literally still barring public gatherings. Marty IMO handled this perfectly, but LOTR I feel will stick to their guns no matter what.
Much like I didn’t blame Vince for not cancelling mania until Tampa forced it, I don’t blame Terence and James for holding out as long as possible. They bail now, they are on hook to hotel for deposit or more, plus who knows whatever other expenses. The state forces you to not hold the event, then I don’t think you are on hook to the hotel or other things. If people weren’t such idiots, they would realize it is a crazy small chance this show can happen. But they are so desperate to meet wrestlers or celebs in other cases, they will not allow themselves to realize it.

If you have any common sense, you will realize any conventions this summer will have a slim chance of occurring.

hack87
Full Fledged Mark

Post by hack87 » March 31st, 2020, 2:47 pm

If cutting out talent (I won't name names but I have some idea) to save money is what's going to happen, that's not a good sign unless you want to hang out with Bob Orton and Tito Santana for the weekend.

Even if COVID has died down by May (for LOTR) or July (for the Gathering), I wouldn't be quick to get on a plane or travel to a semi-crowded hotel a month later. Not sure some of the older talents -- or ones who value their health -- will be ready that soon either.

It's very cool that some promoters keep us updated and it's too bad that events are being postponed, canceled or might lose talents to this.

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro

Post by Anthony18 » March 31st, 2020, 2:52 pm

Delete
Last edited by Anthony18 on March 31st, 2020, 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.