Legends of the Ring 27 (October 13, 2018)

This is the place to discuss Conventions
ICW
Marked Out Master

Re: Legends of the Ring 27 (October 13, 2018)

Post by ICW » June 29th, 2018, 11:19 am

crowbar wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 11:01 am
I love hearing carnies talk about what goes on behind the scene.
I do, too.

I thought Damage did a good job of articulating his issues with LOTR.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

crowbar
Marked Out King

Post by crowbar » June 29th, 2018, 11:28 am

"That's why they're(the fans) not coming out in drones anymore!" I love carnies

d365 Promotions

Post by d365 Promotions » June 29th, 2018, 1:10 pm

crowbar wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 11:28 am
You do know that damage does the exact same business as LOTR? So I think we know what happened behind scenes. All promoters pretty much have the same info and contacts. We also spoke to the other partner after the show. It's out in the open, they're aware and I hope they rectify it for the future.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » June 29th, 2018, 7:20 pm

d365 Promotions wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 1:10 pm
crowbar wrote:
You do know that damage does the exact same business as LOTR? So I think we know what happened behind scenes. All promoters pretty much have the same info and contacts. We also spoke to the other partner after the show. It's out in the open, they're aware and I hope they rectify it for the future.
Can you summarize the issue? Rather not listen to the whole thing.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » June 29th, 2018, 7:35 pm

d365 Promotions wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 1:10 pm
crowbar wrote:
Actually no you are not exactly the same. They run the show, you do not. You said it in the podcast, you count on them to bring in “big” names so the fans will meet your guests later.

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » June 29th, 2018, 8:23 pm

Can anyone give us the controversial points? I just checked it out and it’s an hour and a half. 5 minutes in and I’m already bored. Turned it off.

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » June 29th, 2018, 9:05 pm

Basically It was vendors like damage365 , richie degreg and mz promotions bitching about lotr.

About how they haven’t drew as many people as in years past, which is true. How the haven’t booked any big names lately and that affects business.

How they don’t advertise in any way but Facebook. About how Terrance talks to people which I think is funny but people have complained about from day one.

Lots of complaints about the hotel. That it’s in the middle of nowhere and they is nothing around it. That the restaurant is horrible.

Basically they said many vendors are not coming back until things change.

The two most interesting points were kevin said that any talent that is $3000.00 or more, the vendors cannot bring them in per lotr rules. He said at the big event, it is $5000.00 or more.

He also made the serious allegation that they knew three weeks before the june show hat Harley race was not gonna be there and said nothing about it and that’s why they added smothers, tommy rich and guido.

I have no idea if I those two things are true. But i do think James or Terrance should address the Harley race allegations pubically because that speaks to their integrity as businessmen. As far as i knew the fbi reunion was added because DiBiase and virgil were moved to October.

Again there are always two sides to the story.
Last edited by crossfire on June 29th, 2018, 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » June 29th, 2018, 9:08 pm

crossfire wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 9:05 pm
Basically It was vendors like damage365 , richie degreg and mz promotions bitching about lotr.

About how they haven’t drew as many people as in years past, which is true. How the haven’t booked any big names lately and that affects business.

How they don’t advertise in any way but Facebook. About how Terrance talks to people which I think is funny but people have complained about from day one.

Lots of complaints about the hotel. That it’s in the middle of nowhere and they is nothing around it. That the restaurant is horrible.

The two most interesting points were kevin said that any talent that is $3000.00 or more, the vendors cannot bring them in per lotr rules. He said at the big event, it is $5000.00 or more.

He also made the serious allegation that they knew three weeks before the june show that Harley race was not gonna be there and said nothing about It and that’s why they added smothers, tommy rich and guido.

I have no idea if I those two things are true. But i do think James or Terrance should address the Harley race allegations pubically because that speaks to their integrity as businessmen. As far as i knew the fbi reunion was added because DiBiase and virgil were moved to October.

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » June 29th, 2018, 9:28 pm

Why bitch about it? If you aren’t making money , don’t vend there. Go to big event with their overwhelming crowds, big names and spend your 5k on your vendor guest.

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » June 29th, 2018, 9:55 pm

oldschoolwwwf wrote:
June 29th, 2018, 9:28 pm
Why bitch about it? If you aren’t making money , don’t vend there. Go to big event with their overwhelming crowds, big names and spend your 5k on your vendor guest.
Exactly lol

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » June 30th, 2018, 4:55 pm

Okay guys. Terrence personally contacted me for my feedback on Lotr since I’m a customer since 2010. I gave him my honest opinion.

He also gave me his take on the the podcast and I assume because he is not a member here, told me to share it here. So here it goes.

from Terence LOTR rebuttal to go on marked out

here is my official take from the Marked out,com post feel free to share to clear the air:

crossfire wrote:
Terrence: It is a crapshoot and a risk for any vendor to take. I think the key is to multi-book a talent or work off a percentage personally I have always found giving people a discount incentive to pre-purchase tickets works best.

crossfire wrote:

Terrence: I feel over saturation of the market is a big factor to consider. If you look at the last lineup we had there was nothing wrong with it. We had Mid-Range upper mainstream names and a ton of really rare obscurities. We promoted the same way we have in the past. Doing this for the past 20 years or so I have found in the digital age that the online advertising and targeting a specific audience is the way to go. Putting ads up in travelers hotel or putting thing on pizza boxes and such is just a waste of time and money.

We have tried over the years different strategies of advertising and it does not attract many more fans and the ones it does attract get confused over the event. They are foreign to the concept of paying an admission fee and going around from table to table and paying for an autograph. I have actually had a few families come and pay for tickets thinking it was live wrestling ... walking into the room and coming back out and asking where the ring was.

This strategy may work for a live event but not an autograph show.

crossfire wrote:
Terrance: Once again the advertising was addressed above. The only other positive advertising would be to flyer other wrestling events and canvas a bigger internet specific market.

As far as my attitude those who know the real me know I am very passionate about this event. Its like my baby.. so I am going to act more of if you were personally attacking me.So I am gonna act as such. If you make a stupid or ignorant comment I am going to give a true non candy coated answer. I will never steal or take you for your money or rip anyone off. We have developed a trustworthy reputation which is one of the main reasons we have continued to keep it going this long.

It was one of my dreams after attending other events and seeing how poorly they were run back 15-20 years ago.
Those who know me also know I value customer service to those who have kept me in business and we have had made countless of financial sacrafices just to do the right thing for our fans. Beleive it or not I am in the hospitality industry and am extremely good at it.

crossfire wrote:

Terrence: As addressed correctly on the podcast we are kind of in a bind with the hotel. We have scouted several locations over the past few years since YOGI and AGNES left the hotel and were floored by the amounts that some hotels wanted to charge. most were equal or more then our entire show budget.

The food issue has been since day 1 and we have tried to address it each event. I personally dont know what the issue was in running a restaurant that wasnt even that busy and you waited way too long for service. The food I found was always pretty good though..

I had no idea the change of Restaurant until we arrived at the property and the entire staff was different.

crossfire wrote:

Terrence: I am sure like every other show we have run we will be at capacity for vendor tables and have 40 guests again.
It seems no matter what you do the vendors have some sort of issue. We had the superticket room next to the main ballroom for years. people said the vendor room was too crowded and they couldnt make money,

, We made the vendor room bigger and moved our talent to the back. The vendors then complained there was no-one in the rooms.

We book big names and the vendors say we take the money out of the room. We don't book big names and they claim not enough people are there. I think you get the point.

In my history of partnership from LOTR 4 up until present every event has profited some more then others but all have been profitable.

crossfire wrote:

Terrence: This couldn't be the further from the truth. If a vendor wanted to book a guest like say HULK HOGAN I would have a little more "creative control" over the logistics but depending on the reputation of the vendor I would approve it.. Kevin was 100 right when he said about this price number as to how you can put a number on this a what a talent charges Promoter A could be different then what Promoter B pays.. I dont know where this ever came from but it is false. I need a vendor to run a talent by me to get approval for several reasons. and even to this day we have people going into business for themselves and booking talent without permission.

crossfire wrote:
He also made the serious allegation that they knew three weeks before the june show hat Harley race was not gonna be there and said nothing about it and that’s why they added smothers, tommy rich and Guido.
Terrence: Also 100 percent false . We did not find out about Harley until midweek of the event and did make some phone calls for replacements but unfortunately could not get anyone viable so were forced to go with the cancellation.

I have apologized about the late announcements of the Superticket. alot of the talent we had planned were not available for this event and both myself and James had some household matters to deal with (James with his knee surgeries and moving and closing on houses) and (I still with the transition of being a single widowed father) life happens but the show must go on if you make a commitment to the fans.

crossfire wrote:

Terrence: and you were correct. they were the last 3 guests along with RVD.

crossfire wrote:

Terrence: here is my side without fighting with anyone or throwing anyone under the bus.

yosemitechris
Marked Out King

Post by yosemitechris » June 30th, 2018, 6:43 pm

i never been been to a lotr! but it seems to me if it's only a one day event ,why do they go to all the trouble of dealing with a hotel. why not have it at a convention venue, vfw hall or some big open venue and cut out the hotel.

do they real get that great of a deal for them and the fans at the hotel?

now we dont have a big convention like back east, but we do a con 10-15 wrestlers , prob 150-200 fans and we do it at a local high school gym.

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » June 30th, 2018, 7:35 pm

yosemitechris wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 6:43 pm
i never been been to a lotr! but it seems to me if it's only a one day event ,why do they go to all the trouble of dealing with a hotel. why not have it at a convention venue, vfw hall or some big open venue and cut out the hotel.

now we dont have a big convention like back east, but we do a con 10-15 wrestlers , prob 150-200 fans and we do it at a local high school gym.

I’m sure they have looked into it but you need a place In Jersey that can easily accommodate 500 fans. You need multiple rooms the way the convention is set up. You need air conditioning. Multiple bathrooms. Somewhere to eat. Atm’s, etc.

I must be in the minority because i see nothing wrong with the hotel.

cmshowstopper
Marked Out Master

Post by cmshowstopper » June 30th, 2018, 8:01 pm

crossfire wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 7:35 pm
yosemitechris wrote:

I’m sure they have looked into it but you need a place In Jersey that can easily accommodate 500 fans. You need multiple rooms the way the convention is set up. You need air conditioning. Multiple bathrooms. Somewhere to eat. Atm’s, etc.

The hotel is out in the middle of no where, but never really bothered me. I was going to LOTR...not to sight see or shop. The restaurant was meh at best. I had eaten there before, but most of the time I skipped it. Again...I was going to LOTR...not to eat. I can understand the need to have food and drink though, so the Indian place is a major sour point for most.
http://www.cmshowstopper.com/ Official Webpage Of CM Showstopper

http://www.fallenangelchristopherdaniels.com Official Webpage of Christopher Daniels

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » July 1st, 2018, 7:17 pm

cmshowstopper wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 8:01 pm
crossfire wrote:
June 30th, 2018, 7:35 pm
yosemitechris wrote:

do they real get that greato of a deal for them and the fans at the hotel?

The hotel is out in the middle of no where, but never really bothered me. I was going to LOTR...not to sight see or shop. The restaurant was meh at best. I had eaten there before, but most of the time I skipped it. Again...I was going to LOTR...not to eat. I can understand the need to have food and drink though, so the Indian place is a major sour point for most.
Agreed