Legends of the Ring 27 (October 13, 2018)

This is the place to discuss Conventions
ICW
Marked Out Master

Re: Legends of the Ring 27 (October 13, 2018)

Post by ICW » July 5th, 2018, 9:44 pm

For those who care:

Damage365 Radio did a followup to their last podcast -- this time with Terence appearing on the show along with Ken from K&S Wrestlefest.

https://www.spreaker.com/user/damage_at ... ng-part-ii
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!
https://squaredcirclecons.com/

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » July 5th, 2018, 11:04 pm

Can you summarize any controversial moments?

crossfire
Full Fledged Mark

Post by crossfire » July 6th, 2018, 2:41 am

Nothing really.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 6th, 2018, 8:41 am

There wasn't any controversial moments at all. The conversation was cordial as could be.

There's a consensus that the hotel absolutely sucks but Terence and James get an incredible, incredible deal to host LOTR over there. Terence mentioned that he once inquired on a hotel near Newark airport and they wanted the equivalent of what it costs to run an entire LOTR show.

Ken from K&S also revealed that Rick Martel has been offered "thousands and thousands" of dollars by every vendor/promoter but he's always turned them down. He's simply not doing a wrestling show.

There was also a consensus that other conventions like Wizard World, Monster Mania, Chiller, etc. are hurting the wrestling convention business. Wizard World had a deal with WWE that's recently expired but they've apparently reached a deal with RF, who will be their exclusive wrestling vendor and he's done vending LOTR and Big Event. Also, some wrestlers do not want to do a "wrestling only" convention. Chris Jericho's price is so expensive that just a combo would be $100-$129. Terence compared that to a Fozzy signing where you buy a CD for only $20 and Jericho will sign that, a wrestling item, AND take a picture with you.

Terence also said that fans often do a poor job managing their time at these events. He said that they do the Superticket by number and/or color blocks and people will wait on the Superticket line even if their block hasn't been called yet. That affects business in the vendor room.

They also ragged on airport stalkers, which I got a big kick out of.
Feel free to visit my blog concerning wrestling conventions, signings, and meet & greets!

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 6th, 2018, 9:10 am

ICW wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 8:41 am
There was also a consensus that other conventions like Wizard World, Monster Mania, Chiller, etc. are hurting the wrestling convention business.
Disagree with this. First of all, MMania has been running in the area for 15 years, and Chiller has been running a lot longer than that. And both shows booked wrestling talent all through that time period, so why is it just now "hurting business" of the wrestling cons in recent years? Graph collectors, especially wrestling collectors, are very fanatical about who they need, so if you book the talent they need, those fans WILL come out, regardless of what other conventions are running in the area. It's all about booking the talent that that market needs and wants-blaming other shows for somebody's own business decline comes off like a weak excuse, IMO.
ICW wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 8:41 am
Wizard World had a deal with WWE that's recently expired but they've apparently reached a deal with RF, who will be their exclusive wrestling vendor and he's done vending LOTR and Big Event.
So the WW fans who've in the past gotten used to getting names on the level of Cena, the Bellas, Alexa Bliss, Charlotte, and other current-roster WWE stars who were getting pushed on TV right now, will instead start getting Attitude Era names and the "guys who were released within the last two years" crew like Big Cass? Talk about a big downgrade, lol. That doesn't even take into account the sleaziness of a comic convention that caters to young kids doing business with a guy with RF's record, but that's a whole other argument.

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » July 6th, 2018, 9:26 am

Agree with AJ lee on all fronts

mrira
Marked Out Master

Post by mrira » July 6th, 2018, 9:40 am

Not sure why Martel won’t do anymore conventions. I know he did one LOTR years ago, so I guess the group of us who got him will be the only ones. When he said not doing a wrestling convention does that mean he’ll do something like Chiller?

class316
Marked Out Historian

Post by class316 » July 6th, 2018, 10:05 am

Martel has done a few cons. Hell I have him virgilized. Really odd that he changed his mind and would turn down easy money.

ICW, what's the time stamp of airport stalkers?
Follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/celebmeets
:hcit:
View my celebrity report Blog http://celebmeets.blogspot.com/

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 6th, 2018, 10:21 am

I'm not sure of the timestamp re: airport stalkers, I think it's towards the end of Terence's appearance on the show.

I think the complaint re: the other conventions is that cons like a MM or RICC are bringing in Trish and Lita, not Greg Valentine and Andrew Anderson, and guests like Trish/Lita are more hesitant to do a "wrestling only" convention

AJLe
Marked Out Master

Post by AJLe » July 6th, 2018, 10:33 am

ICW wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 10:21 am
I think the complaint re: the other conventions is that cons like a MM or RICC are bringing in Trish and Lita, not Greg Valentine and Andrew Anderson, and guests like Trish/Lita are more hesitant to do a "wrestling only" convention
But if they adamantly didn't want to do a "wrestling only" con, then they weren't going to do LOTR or similar shows anyway, so it isn't like MMania and Chiller were taking those bookings away. If MMania and Chiller never booked wrestling guests ever, those type of guests wouldn't magically change their mind or lower their asking price, they'd just stay home and not do cons at all.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 6th, 2018, 10:35 am

AJLe wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 10:33 am
ICW wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 10:21 am
But if they adamantly didn't want to do a "wrestling only" con, then they weren't going to do LOTR or similar shows anyway, so it isn't like MMania and Chiller were taking those bookings away. If MMania and Chiller never booked wrestling guests ever, those type of guests wouldn't magically change their mind or lower their asking price, they'd just stay home and not do cons at all.
Maybe.

I would've loved to have gone to MM to meet Trish but I won't make the trip. Hopefully she does a LOTR/Big Event soon but I heard she wants "Rey Mysterio money"

lanza218
Site Admin

Post by lanza218 » July 6th, 2018, 11:17 am

Trish did cons years ago so it's not like MM was the only con bringing her in. MM and the others have all run alongside LOTR and diff months

No idea where this they don't want to only do a wrestling con notion has come from

oldschoolwwwf
Marked Out Master

Post by oldschoolwwwf » July 6th, 2018, 11:25 am

Me and Lanza were just discussing how you newer convention goers like icw really missed out on the glory days of wrestling conventions. Every year, you had 2 legends, 2 signamanias, 2 k and s shows, Greg price show, Blaustein, I’m probably missing a few. From roughly like 2006-2012 , I think Martel appeared at least 4 times, along with probably every name you can imagine.

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 6th, 2018, 11:29 am

oldschoolwwwf wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:25 am
Me and Lanza were just discussing how you newer convention goers like icw really missed out on the glory days of wrestling conventions. Every year, you had 2 legends, 2 signamanias, 2 k and s shows, Greg price show, Blaustein, I’m probably missing a few. From roughly like 2006-2012 , I think Martel appeared at least 4 times, along with probably every name you can imagine.
Tell me about it, man. I really regret not getting into this hobby sooner although I didn't really know about them. Plus, I really fell out of love with wrestling for a long time. Timing is everything and mine wasn't too great lol.

--
lanza218 wrote:
July 6th, 2018, 11:17 am
Trish did cons years ago so it's not like MM was the only con bringing her in. MM and the others have all run alongside LOTR and diff months

No idea where this they don't want to only do a wrestling con notion has come from
From what I understand, CM Punk and Batista are two big names that will not do a "wrestling only" conventions-- especially CM Punk.

I've heard a talent like Trish asks for a shit ton of money to do a "wrestling only" con - someone said "Rey Mysterio money" which is around $20K...

ICW
Marked Out Master

Post by ICW » July 6th, 2018, 11:33 am

Another point that was made on the podcast:

Wrestlers die at a relatively rapid pace. Piper, Bruno, Chyna, Heenan, Snuka, Steele...most of them did shows quite regularly and now they're being replaced with talent recently released by WWE and they draw well the first time but they end up doing every single Indie show and multiple conventions throughout their first year and fans get burnt out on wanting to meet them because they don't have that star power like the wrestlers who have passed