XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

MMA, MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL - Discuss any and all sports
Post Reply
User avatar
yosemitechris
Marked Out King
Posts: 868
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 2:43 pm
Location: yosemite national park. ca

XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by yosemitechris » April 10th, 2020, 7:07 pm

APRIL 2020,

BF99CEC2-18C8-4FA3-9DCA-396BE1AE908D.jpeg


User avatar
yosemitechris
Marked Out King
Posts: 868
Joined: June 14th, 2009, 2:43 pm
Location: yosemite national park. ca

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by yosemitechris » April 10th, 2020, 7:09 pm

IS XFL OVER?? surprised it lasted this long, really hate to see anyone laided off during these times! 🏈

User avatar
mrira
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: June 18th, 2008, 5:19 pm
Location: Bayside,NY

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by mrira » April 13th, 2020, 3:20 pm

"The XFL quickly captured the hearts and imaginations of millions of people who love football. Unfortunately, as a new enterprise, we were not insulated from the harsh economic impacts and uncertainties caused by the COVID-19 crisis. Accordingly, we have filed a voluntary petition for relief under Chapter 11 of the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. This is a heartbreaking time for many, including our passionate fans, players and staff, and we are thankful to them, our television partners, and the many Americans who rallied to the XFL for the love of football."

User avatar
Greg2600
Moderator
Posts: 5409
Joined: November 13th, 2012, 9:00 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by Greg2600 » August 3rd, 2020, 10:46 am

The Rock and investors bought the XFL today for $15 Million. I cannot even fathom the $$$ Vince lost in this league.

https://www.si.com/xfl/2020/08/03/dwyne ... 15-million
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

User avatar
Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro
Posts: 468
Joined: May 6th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by Jason1980s » August 3rd, 2020, 11:14 am

Thanks for posting. WOW that is insane that a former employee of Vince McMahon owns his football league but it makes me happy. Whether it succeeds, which I think it will under Dwayne, I am so happy for how far he has come since his Rocky Maivia days. It wouldn't surprise me if Vince is going ballistic in the office thinking no way an employee owns his football company. Dwayne has succeeded in ventures Vince dreamed of and did his best, which was not good enough and that is the movie industry. I think Dwayne will bring in the right people and have his head in the right place for this to work. I am still shocked.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart


User avatar
Greg2600
Moderator
Posts: 5409
Joined: November 13th, 2012, 9:00 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by Greg2600 » August 3rd, 2020, 12:13 pm

Vince is probably happy to sell to The Rock, tbh. He's elderly and COVID-19 ruined what was a seemingly better attempt this time around at pro football, and there was no way he could ever go through it again.
The Paunch Stevenson Show pop culture podcast : http://www.paunchstevenson.com

User avatar
Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro
Posts: 468
Joined: May 6th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by Jason1980s » August 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm

I get covid happening hurt them badlly but I also feel like anything Vince has touched outside of wrestling has never been successful (correct me if I'm wrong) so I feel like XFL would have failed again under his ownership. At his age he really needs to just accept he is the best wrestling promoter but really that is about it in the entertainment field. WBF failed, XFL failed, WWE movies are almost always direct to DVD and probably primarily bought by wrestling fans.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

User avatar
mrira
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: June 18th, 2008, 5:19 pm
Location: Bayside,NY

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by mrira » August 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm

Jason1980s wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm
I get covid happening hurt them badlly but I also feel like anything Vince has touched outside of wrestling has never been successful (correct me if I'm wrong) so I feel like XFL would have failed again under his ownership. At his age he really needs to just accept he is the best wrestling promoter but really that is about it in the entertainment field. WBF failed, XFL failed, WWE movies are almost always direct to DVD and probably primarily bought by wrestling fans.
I think only a handful of WWE Movies ever succeeded; See No Evil & The original Marine movie. Even the movies with decent size stars (Halle Berry) didn't do well. If not for COVID, the XFL would of at least finished the season.

crowbar
Marked Out King
Posts: 898
Joined: April 28th, 2014, 12:35 pm
Location: North Jersey

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by crowbar » August 4th, 2020, 4:23 pm

mrira wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm
Jason1980s wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm
I get covid happening hurt them badlly but I also feel like anything Vince has touched outside of wrestling has never been successful (correct me if I'm wrong) so I feel like XFL would have failed again under his ownership. At his age he really needs to just accept he is the best wrestling promoter but really that is about it in the entertainment field. WBF failed, XFL failed, WWE movies are almost always direct to DVD and probably primarily bought by wrestling fans.
I think only a handful of WWE Movies ever succeeded; See No Evil & The original Marine movie. Even the movies with decent size stars (Halle Berry) didn't do well. If not for COVID, the XFL would of at least finished the season.
Fighting with my Family was relatively successful but it had the Rock in it so...

User avatar
mrira
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1429
Joined: June 18th, 2008, 5:19 pm
Location: Bayside,NY

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by mrira » August 4th, 2020, 6:54 pm

crowbar wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 4:23 pm
mrira wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 3:57 pm
Jason1980s wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 12:09 pm
I get covid happening hurt them badlly but I also feel like anything Vince has touched outside of wrestling has never been successful (correct me if I'm wrong) so I feel like XFL would have failed again under his ownership. At his age he really needs to just accept he is the best wrestling promoter but really that is about it in the entertainment field. WBF failed, XFL failed, WWE movies are almost always direct to DVD and probably primarily bought by wrestling fans.
I think only a handful of WWE Movies ever succeeded; See No Evil & The original Marine movie. Even the movies with decent size stars (Halle Berry) didn't do well. If not for COVID, the XFL would of at least finished the season.
Fighting with my Family was relatively successful but it had the Rock in it so...
Forgot Fighting with my Family was a WWE film. I thought it had been released by The Rock's production co., but it was released by WWE. According to Wikipedia, the cost to make the film was only $11 million. I can't imagine it be to hard for a film made that cheaply to make a profit with The Rock in it.

Anthony18
Marked Out Pro
Posts: 304
Joined: July 17th, 2017, 10:36 am

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by Anthony18 » August 11th, 2020, 12:48 am

Jason1980s wrote:
August 3rd, 2020, 11:14 am
Thanks for posting. WOW that is insane that a former employee of Vince McMahon owns his football league but it makes me happy. Whether it succeeds, which I think it will under Dwayne, I am so happy for how far he has come since his Rocky Maivia days. It wouldn't surprise me if Vince is going ballistic in the office thinking no way an employee owns his football company. Dwayne has succeeded in ventures Vince dreamed of and did his best, which was not good enough and that is the movie industry. I think Dwayne will bring in the right people and have his head in the right place for this to work. I am still shocked.
I agree. Under Dwayne’s ownership it can be successful. As for Rocky Maivia, if Vince had the brain he did back then that he does now, he would have continued having him be a smiley babyface and eventually Dwayne would have fizzled to obscurity.

User avatar
Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro
Posts: 468
Joined: May 6th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by Jason1980s » August 11th, 2020, 7:35 pm

Anthony18 wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 12:48 am

I agree. Under Dwayne’s ownership it can be successful. As for Rocky Maivia, if Vince had the brain he did back then that he does now, he would have continued having him be a smiley babyface and eventually Dwayne would have fizzled to obscurity.
I can see Vince trying to keep him as Rocky Maivia but if he isn't allowed to be the heel Rock or change directions I can see him going to WCW if they would give him the freedom to shoot on TV against Vince. Then if WWF doesn't try to get him back before the sale I can see him coming in as a major star in WWF in 2001 after WCW closed. The movie career would obviously not happen as soon but I can still see him pursuing it later on. I personally liked Rocky Maivia. I wasn't ready for Attitude Era characters in late 1996, early 1997. I loved the Rocky chief type outfit he wore briefly. I took a break from wrestling in early 1997 so when he came back in August I was shocked to find out the fans hated him.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart

User avatar
AJLe
Marked Out Master
Posts: 1433
Joined: March 22nd, 2014, 4:52 pm

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by AJLe » August 12th, 2020, 10:27 am

Jason1980s wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 7:35 pm
Anthony18 wrote:
August 11th, 2020, 12:48 am

I agree. Under Dwayne’s ownership it can be successful. As for Rocky Maivia, if Vince had the brain he did back then that he does now, he would have continued having him be a smiley babyface and eventually Dwayne would have fizzled to obscurity.
I can see Vince trying to keep him as Rocky Maivia but if he isn't allowed to be the heel Rock or change directions I can see him going to WCW if they would give him the freedom to shoot on TV against Vince. Then if WWF doesn't try to get him back before the sale I can see him coming in as a major star in WWF in 2001 after WCW closed. The movie career would obviously not happen as soon but I can still see him pursuing it later on. I personally liked Rocky Maivia. I wasn't ready for Attitude Era characters in late 1996, early 1997. I loved the Rocky chief type outfit he wore briefly. I took a break from wrestling in early 1997 so when he came back in August I was shocked to find out the fans hated him.
The problem is, if Vince never turns him heel, nobody would have known he had that superstar Rock potential. So even if he had jumped to WCW, he would have jumped as a midcard level guy, not a top promo guy worthy of shooting on Vince upon arrival. Honestly, if babyface "Rocky Maivia" had jumped to WCW, they probably would have only used him on the level of a Prince Iukea type of guy.

User avatar
Jason1980s
Marked Out Pro
Posts: 468
Joined: May 6th, 2012, 6:31 pm

Re: XFL SUSPENDS OPERATIONS / LAYOFFS

Post by Jason1980s » August 12th, 2020, 12:43 pm

He was Prince Iukea based on the Rock? I don't remember if they had Prince pre Rocky or post. WCW would always have their lower card guys on shows here and there so you never really know when they started. Even in early 1999 with the Mick Foley win Eric Bischoff was still trying to dig at WWF so I can see him wanting to do so in late 1997. Ultimately Rock did wind up becoming a huge star based on his talents rather than what WWF did with him and moreso outside of wrestling and I would think him owning a WWF venture eats away at Vince and Triple H.
Book WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant for your event!!
PM me!

http://www.jimmyvaliant.weebly.com/

Meet WWE Hall of Famer Jimmy Valiant ANY Sunday 12 noon to 4 PM at Boogie's Wrestling Camp located at
2916 Alleghany Springs Road in Shawsville Virginia. Free of charge!

"I'll never forget what the WWE took away from me. I also want to say I'll never forget all the great things they gave to me"-Bret Hart


Post Reply